Upgrade messed me up!

Options
momneedshelp
momneedshelp
Community Member
edited December 2017 in Mac

Hi I've used 1Password for years. I ran the standard upgrade yesterday on my MacBook Pro and now I get this error message when I go to open 1Password. "“1Password” is damaged and can’t be opened. Delete “1Password” and download it again from the App Store."

YIKES! You can't tell me to do that?! I'm not super great at computers but I'm also not an idiot. If I delete the App and redownload aren't I going to lose the info? I can't PROMISE that my computer is super backed up....eek. I'm just a busy mom trying to complete my Christmas shopping and I need that Amazon password!! Don't make me go back to putting all the passwords on sticky notes on my wall b/c the technology is just too darn buggy! -- I would really appreciate any help. Thanks!

1Password Version: v 6.8.5 upgrade broke it.
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: El Capitan 10.11.6
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Welcome to the forum, @momneedshelp - and may I start by saying that if we had a contest for best forum name of the week/month/year/whatever, I'd be nominating you. :)

I'm also glad to see you being cautious when it comes to the valuable data you store in 1Password. On iOS, you would lose your data if you deleted the app. Fortunately, however, on the Mac, things work a bit differently. Your apps are stored in your Applications folder, but the actual data you create in 1Password (or other Mac App Store apps) is kept in ~/Library/Containers/... - so, in other words, you can feel free to delete and re-install 1Password without fear of losing your data. Not to worry. :)

To delete 1Password, just open your Applications folder and drag it to the trash. Don't use any app cleaners or uninstaller programs to do this, as these programs can remove more data than we want them to. Just drag the 1Password app to the Trash, then restart your Mac. When your Mac restarts, open the Mac App Store and visit the Purchased tab (along the top of the window). Search for 1Password and click "Install" to the right. 1Password should download and install. Return to the Applications folder and double-click 1Password to launch it. Everything should be good! Let us know how you get on.

• momneedshelp
    momneedshelp
    Community Member
    Options

Lars! Thank you so much for the encouragement - just did the upgrade and it went beautifully! I was ready for all kinds of things to go wrong but it took about 10 seconds. Hooray!

• momneedshelp
    momneedshelp
    Community Member
    Options

My new profile name should be "momsavedmoney". Not having my Amazon password handy for the few days before Christmas (just b/c I didn't choose to attempt the upgrade in those busy days) probably saved me quite a few dollars. :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Ha! I wish I'd thought of that. Maybe next year... :lol:

Anyway, glad Lars was able to help out. We're here if you need anything else. Happy new year! :)

This discussion has been closed.