Unable to open - missing 1Password Data File

I've been using 1Password for years on my iMac, and normally am asked for my master password when the application opens.

Today when launching the app, it says ""Welcome to 1Password, to start we need to setup your data file. If you are new to 1Password, click New Data File, otherwise click Find Existing".

I've never seen this before --- and do not know how to find this data file.

Help please!

Thank you

1Password Version: 3 for Mac
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS X Yosemite 10.10.5
Sync Type: not sure sorry

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@CFD51 Sorry to hear you're having troubles with 1Password just now. I noticed you said "3 for Mac" in answer to what version you're running, so I've moved your discussion over to the Legacy section, I hope that's OK.

Can you be a bit more specific about what version of 1Password you're currently running (you can check by clicking the 1Password menubar item, then About)? Can I also ask why you're running any version of 1Password 3 for Mac? The current version is 6.8.5; have you not upgraded for a specific reason? OS X 10.10.5 is capable of running the very latest version.

• CFD51
    CFD51
    Community Member

Lars - Thanks for your note. I'm running 3.8.22

I have not had access to my computer for some time, and do intend to upgrade to a newer version, however at this time - I cannot use the application at all. I will post this on the Legacy section as well. Hoping someone can help. Tks.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@CFD51 No need to post this in the Legacy section; I've already moved the thread. :-)

If you don't have access to the Mac in question, then I won't be able to ask you the usual sort of troubleshooting questions. To be clear, this really isn't the appropriate format for such questions anyway, since it's visible to the public and those types of questions often get into specifics about your particular setup that I'm guessing you'd rather not have on a public forum. What I'd propose is that the next time you get in front of that Mac and have some time to spend, write in to us at support@agilebits.com and include a link to this thread; myself or one of my colleagues will be much better able to handle your specific issues privately via email. Thanks! :)

• CFD51
    CFD51
    Community Member

Lars -

Thanks for your updated note. Apologies for any confusion --- I do have access to the Mac now (I had not for some time, thus why I was running an older version of 1Password). For the past 2 months, all has been fine --- now as of today, I cannot open the app and receive the prompt detailed in my public post. Can you help here or should I proceed via email? Tis

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    edited January 2018

@CFD51 I think we should probably move this to email, since some of what we may discuss will likely include details of your specific 1Password setup that probably shouldn't be on a public forum. To get a better idea of what might be going on with your 1Password ecosystem, I'd like to ask you to create a diagnostics report from your Mac:

https://support.1password.com/diagnostics/?mac

Please add the following code (including the square brackets) to the Subject line of your diagnostics email before sending it:

[#WXZ-35328-678]

This will link your diagnostics to our current discussion. We'll take a look and let you know what we find out.

For anyone else reading, please note: this ID is for @CFD51 only. If you’re experiencing the same issue and need help, please ask us for your own ID.

ref: WXZ-35328-678

This discussion has been closed.