Family membership setup years ago - I am logged in on one computer - need help moving

Options
Wendy_B
Wendy_B
Community Member

We are on a family membership. I am logged in on my computer and can see my license. It says 1Password is registered - the product is 1 Password 3 (family). I just got a new Mac to replace the old one and need to get my 1 Password setup on it - only problem - it has been a long time, no one remembers the email address we used to set it up. When I login - I only need my 4 digit master password.

1Password Version: 3.8.21
Extension Version: none
OS Version: OX X El Capitan
Sync Type: I don't think it is synching

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Wendy_B: Thanks for reaching out. I’m sorry for the confusion! 1Password 3 does not support 1Password.com memberships, as they did not exist nearly a decade ago when we created that app. You'll only have one if you've signed up for a subscription within the past two years. You will not have an account otherwise. 1Password 3 also does not support recent macOS and browser versions.

You may want to consider a 1Password Families membership though, since it gives you and your loved ones (up to 5 are included for the base price) access to the latest version of all of the apps, the web interface, and does away with license management and sync configuration altogether — you simply login to your account to authorize a device and access your data. You can try it for free for 30 days to take advantage of all of its benefits. And that will include 1Password 6, which will work with recent browser and macOS releases. If you'll shoot us an email at support@1password.com we can help you make the transition. Just post the Support ID you receive here. :)

• Wendy_B
    Wendy_B
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks Brenty, I THINK I understand what you are saying. The product I have is obsolete and even though we purchased it we can no longer use it unless we keep it on the computer it is currently on? My only option is to purchase a new product?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Wendy_B - brenty is gone until later, so I thought I'd jump in here. You understood more-or-less correctly, I think. Your license for 1Password 3 for Mac never expires, but it is now quite out of date, and a previous license doesn't work for the current version. If you've got a family you want to all use 1Password -- especially if you have data you would like to share between family members, then brenty's advice about a 1Password membership is excellent. You can head over to the main 1Password Families sign-up page and get yourself an account for you and up to four additional family members for $59.88/yr which includes unlimited access to all four of our native 1Password applications (Windows, Mac, iOS and Android) so everyone's covered, no matter what devices they use.

Regarding your current data, even in 1Password 3 for Mac, you would have needed to enter a Master Password to access your data. Do you still have the older Mac running El Capitan and 1Password 3 for Mac available to you? Is there 1Password data on it you need to transfer? Can you unlock 1Password there?

• Wendy_B
    Wendy_B
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks Lars :) Yes I still have the older Mac and can access my data on it. I have a 4 digit code that I use to unlock it and access all of my passwords and such. If there is another master code, it is long forgotten. I was able to export my data to dropbox - so at least I have that and can access all of my stored passwords. I don't think I will be purchasing another product, but thanks for your time and help.

Wendy

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Wendy_B - OK, thanks for the clarification. I'm glad to know you can access your 1Password data still. Let us know if you need anything else, and Happy New Year!

This discussion has been closed.