To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

Remove personal vault from team account

Options
rjgarcia35
rjgarcia35
Community Member

Hello,
I was using the free 1Password app on my iPhone for personal use for about a year when I decided to implement for my team at work. I created the paid team account, sent out invites, and merged my personal account so that I have 2 vaults: Private and Shared. I am now leaving the company for a new position elsewhere, and am having problems getting my personal private vault separated from the team account. Is there a way to do this on the website, and if not, is there a way to just delete my vault?

Thanks in advance.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hey, @rjgarcia35! Welcome to the forum, and thanks for being a 1Password Teams user! Your 1Password Teams account is a whole; vaults can't be simply "split" off. However, it's relatively straightforward to migrate your "Private" vault from your 1Password Teams account back to a an individual 1Password account vault, or even to a local (standalone) vault.

Before we go down that path, however, you mentioned just deleting your vault. Can I ask: is the data in your Private vault in your 1Password Teams account worth migrating/saving, to you? If you don't care about it, then certainly you can just have one of the owners or administrators of your 1Password Teams account delete you after you leave the job. That's something they will typically want to do anyway. We (AgileBits) cannot delete it for you if there are other members of your 1Password Teams still using the account, you'd need an Administrator or Owner from within your own team. Let us know if you'd like to transfer to the data, and if so, to a 1Password Individual account, or to a local vault, and we'll go from there. :)

• davidrussell
    davidrussell
    Community Member
    Options

Hey Lars, I'm in the same boat. I thought the migration process would allow me to pick and choose certain business-related logins to merge into the new business account, but instead it took ALL of my personal logins and secret info and dumped it into the business account. Scary and terrible UX. I'd like to know how to restore my personal "vault" and go back to using 1Password the old way, while continuing to use the new business feature just for business-related password.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hey Lars, I'm in the same boat. I thought the migration process would allow me to pick and choose certain business-related logins to merge into the new business account, but instead it took ALL of my personal logins and secret info and dumped it into the business account. Scary and terrible UX.

@davidrussell: Sorry for the confusion there! Indeed, 1Password asks you if you want to migrate your Primary vault's contents to the Personal/Private vault in your account. I guess it's easy to miss that if you're in a hurry though, so we'll see what we can do to make it clearer. Thanks for the feedback!

I'd like to know how to restore my personal "vault" and go back to using 1Password the old way, while continuing to use the new business feature just for business-related password.

I don't know what you mean by "business feature", but you can move any items you want to a different vault:

Move items

If you removed the Primary vault, you can recreate it in 1Password Preferences > Advanced by enabling local vaults there. I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• davidrussell
    davidrussell
    Community Member
    Options

Hey Brenty,

So I did preserve my "personal" primary vault and did not trash it. So I believe what I need to do is remove the "private" vault that's listed under the business side. Here's a screenshot (edited business name and logos out for privacy, but hopefully you can get the gist.) How do I completely delete the "Private" vault listed under business. I checked both the new 1Password web UI as well as the 1Password desktop app UI and neither appears to have any options showing to delete this "Private" vault.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/t7rsbyk95nhx2bl/Screenshot 2018-01-09 08.05.39.png?dl=0

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

So I did preserve my "personal" primary vault and did not trash it.

@davidrussell: Good to hear! That simplifies things. :)

So I believe what I need to do is remove the "private" vault that's listed under the business side. Here's a screenshot (edited business name and logos out for privacy, but hopefully you can get the gist.) How do I completely delete the "Private" vault listed under business. I checked both the new 1Password web UI as well as the 1Password desktop app UI and neither appears to have any options showing to delete this "Private" vault.

That isn't possible, and I'm not sure how that would help. It sounds to me like you just need to move your personal information from there back to the Primary vault. if you just don't want to use the 1Password Teams account at all, you can sign out of it in the app. But let me know if there's something I'm not understanding. :)

• davidrussell
    davidrussell
    Community Member
    Options

Ah, okay - I think I figured it out. I basically currently have two copies of my personal passwords and my goal is to have zero personal passwords "under" the business account. I just went into the Private vault listed under business and selected all my personal logins and trashed them, then cleared the trash. My Primary vault (not Business) appears to remain and contain my personal passwords as expected. I think I'm good to go. Thanks for your help!

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@davidrussell Great! Glad to hear you were able to figure things out; it sounds as if what you describe is exactly what the case was. Let us know if you have any further troubles or questions.

This discussion has been closed.