Changes to family organization over time

Options
mholden
mholden
Community Member

I would like to convert my desktop license to a family subscription plan/account. My plan is for my family subscription to have an account for myself, my wife, and my two adult daughters who are in their early 20's and recent college grads. My question is, when the time comes for the to have their own family, will they be able to create their own personal or family accounts and move their vaults from my family subscription to their new subscription? And when they do this, will they be able to retain the same account name, or will they need to abandon their the email address they used when on my family subscription and create a new one (which would be a pain).

Finally, when my daughters do move on and have their own subscriptions, will it be easily for me to change my subscription from a family plan to an individual account if I want to do that?

Thanks!
Mark

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• thightower
    thightower
    Community Member
    edited January 2018
    Options

Hey Mark, @mholden

My question is, when the time comes for the to have their own family, will they be able to create their own personal or family accounts and move their vaults from my family subscription to their new subscription?

Yes, they would sign up for their own single user/family/team account. Their data would be on their devices under the old account. They add their new account to the device (it no has 2 accounts) They would move all their data form the old account vault to their new account vault. Allow syncing to finish. All done.

Its much like this https://support.1password.com/migrate-1password-account/ except your not moving to an account just between accounts. This video is also great for you as it'll help you get started from your old license to the 1Password.com account

• The video is slightly different than what you would use when they move onto their own accounts. Be sure to check back or ask again at that time for more detailed instructions.

And when they do this, will they be able to retain the same account name, or will they need to abandon their the email address they used when on my family subscription and create a new one (which would be a pain).

I am not quite sure what you mean by this, but they can use the same email on their new single user/family/team account. My email address is setup for multiple teams at the moment.

Finally, when my daughters do move on and have their own subscriptions, will it be easily for me to change my subscription from a family plan to an individual account if I want to do that?

Yes you can do that right from within your user control panel. No need to even involve the staff unless its something out of the ordinary.

Keep on with the questions as you have them, Im just a user like yourself. I answer where I can, and if I can't answer the staff will gladly help or even some of the other members of the forums.

• Jacob
    edited January 2018
    Options

Hey @mholden! That's a great question. thightower covered most of your questions really well but I also wanted to give a bit of input on a few things. :)

when the time comes for the to have their own family, will they be able to create their own personal or family accounts and move their vaults from my family subscription to their new subscription? And when they do this, will they be able to retain the same account name, or will they need to abandon their the email address they used when on my family subscription and create a new one (which would be a pain).

They can indeed create their own personal and/or family accounts, add them to the 1Password apps they're already using, and move over their data. This won't be an automatic migration since they will be going from one account to another, so they may want to create their own custom vaults in the new account to match the ones they already have. They will not be able to retain the same account name — if they create an individual account, it'll be under their name; if they create a family, it'll be under a family name they choose with a sign-in address of their choosing as well. Something like "mholden-2" would be fine, since the sign-in address is rarely shown anyway. :)

Absolutely! You can do this once removing all your family members:

1. Sign in to your account at 1Password.com.
    2. In the sidebar, click Settings.
    3. Click the convert button at the bottom of the page.

Hope that helps. :)

ref: GBC-11438-429

• mholden
    mholden
    Community Member
    Options

Thightower, Jacob, @thightower @Jacob

Thank you very much for the information. I just created my family account so have a better sense of what is happening now. I think my confusion was that I thought my email address was also my account name, but I see now that there is a separate handle created for the account. So, suppose I have a daughter name Cruella (fictitious name of course!), who joins my family subscription with account name CruellaHolden and email address cruella@icloud.com, then later in life when she creates an account either under a single or family subscription, she will need to choose a new account name (e.g., CruellaHolden-2), but will be able to keep her email address of cruella.icloud.com. Did I get that right?

Thanks for the help!
    Mark

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@mholden: I'm the same way: half of this stuff makes no sense to me until I try to do it! :lol:

It's a bit tricky talking about accounts though. I think it helps to make the distinction that each family member which is part of your 1Password Families plan has their own account. So, if the family you setup is mholden.1password.com, everyone you invite will use that same sign in address, but they'll each have their own email address, Secret Key, and Master Password they use to login to their own account.

Later on, they can continue being a part of your family plan if they wish, either just using that, or maintaining it alongside a family plan of their own. For example, I'm also part of my parents' family plan, even though I have my own, because they share a few things with me, but more importantly as an Organizer there I can help either of them recover their accounts if they get locked out. And some day I made need some of the documents they've shared with me...

I could certainly stick with only my family plan, or only be a part of theirs, and that's a personal choice for each of us. Anyway, I hope that helps clear things up a bit, but if it doesn't let me know! :)

• mholden
    mholden
    Community Member
    Options

Okay, that helps. Thanks!

Mark

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

You're welcome! We're here if you need anything else. :)

This discussion has been closed.