App 2-way verification

Philipp
Philipp
Community Member

Hi guys,

I use WhatsApp on my phone and I have 2-way verification activated. So every couple of days WhatsApp ask me to enter the PIN.

Since the latest 1Password update your app recognizes the field and provide me to enter the PIN automatically. Great! So I unlock 1Password, but 1Password can't find my WhatsApp details.

I think the problem is, that I added this detail as a database entry and 1Password use the "Logins" category only. Right?

But for me this is not a normal login. A login is for a website where I have an url, a username and a password. At WhatsApp I have nothing about it. I have a PIN only.

Is there an option that 1Password searches in more categories? Is there any workaround you can give me? In general which category to you recommend for Apps or similar, when you have a PIN only?

Thanks and best regards, Philipp

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• darrenNZ
    darrenNZ
    Community Member

Have you tried the password category @Philipp?

It's really annoying that WhatsApp feel the need to prompt users every couple of days but their rationale for it is that it'll prevent a user forgetting their password.

• Philipp
    Philipp
    Community Member

Hi @darrenNZ

Good idea with the password section. I added the PW there and I'm waiting for the next WhatsApp request now. :-)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited January 2018

@Philipp: I'd really recommend just using a Login item. It's okay if it doesn't have the whole username, password, etc. But Password items are saved as a failsafe when generating passwords, so that category can get a bit cluttered. And a Login makes it easy to specify the website — in the case https://www.whatsapp.com — so it can be matched to the app. I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• Philipp
    Philipp
    Community Member

Hi @brenty
    That's good point why I should use the Login item for that also.
    Thanks!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

You're totally welcome! Here if you have any other questions. :chuffed:

• Philipp
    Philipp
    Community Member

Hi @brenty
    In January I added WhatsApp for this 2-way verification to the login sector. Then the password request was working with the new popup field. I think this was version 6.7.1.Beta-1 or Beta-2.
    But with the last beta releases the popup is not working again. I have to switch to the keyboard again.
    I'm not sure if 1Password did a change or maybe there was a new version of WhatsApp. But maybe could you find a solution that the popup will work again?
    Thanks!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Philipp: I'm sorry to hear that! I hate to do this to you (only a little though, cause there's good stuff there), but we just published version 6.7.2 to Google Play. Can you update and tell me if you're seeing the same behaviour?

• Philipp
    Philipp
    Community Member

Hi @brenty I will try next time. Maybe I have to wait some days (weeks) before WhatsApp asks me again.

• @Philipp I'm trying to reproduce the issue that you're encountering on my end. I haven't used WhatsApp before, so you'll have to forgive me if I'm not familiar with the settings. I've enabled 2-step verification on my new account, but as far as I can tell, it will only ask me for my PIN code when I add my phone number to the app. Have you enabled a different setting in order to get it to ask you for your PIN every couple of days?

When I reinstall the app and am prompted for my PIN code, I found that the 1Password Autofill service doesn't identify the PIN code field as fillable but the Accessibility service does. I'll have to look further into it to determine why that is, but it leaves me curious to see if you're experiencing this issue with Autofill or Accessibility yourself. Could you clarify which one you are using in this case?

• Philipp
    Philipp
    Community Member

@mverde Hi, thanks for trying it out. Yes, WhatsApps asks me for the PIN also. This is (I think so) the two step verification. With the keyboard it is working, but not with autofill service. But it was working in the past. I'm not sure if 1Password or WhatsApp did any change.

I'm not sure what is the different between Autofill and Accessibility? I mean: When 1Password recognize a login field, then there is a popup and I can login to my account, click the entry and 1Password do the login for me. The same was working for this PIN code also.

• @Philipp if you unlock 1Password and navigate to Settings > Filling, you'll see rows displayed for Autofill, Accessibility, and Keyboard. Could you tell me which of those are enabled?

• Philipp
    Philipp
    Community Member

@mverde Ah, I see! All of them are activated. Cheers

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Philipp: Thanks for confirming! If you disable all of them and then try each one at a time, are you seeing any different results?

• Philipp
    Philipp
    Community Member

Hi @brenty I will try it next time WhatsApp ask me for the PIN again. But maybe I have to wait a little bit. I have no idea how to force WhatsApp to ask me earlier. I don't like to uninstall and reinstall the app. Hope that's ok.

• Philipp
    Philipp
    Community Member

Hi @brenty - You had the right idea. When the option Autofill is deactivated, then it is working. Important is, that Accessibility is activated. The keyboard could be activated or deactivated. Both its ok. But when I activate Autofill again, then it is not working again for WhatsApp.
    Cheers!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited March 2018

Hi @brenty I will try it next time WhatsApp ask me for the PIN again. But maybe I have to wait a little bit. I have no idea how to force WhatsApp to ask me earlier. I don't like to uninstall and reinstall the app. Hope that's ok.

@Philipp: Oh, totally! I wouldn't want to do that either. It just sounded like this was happening to you more often than it has to myself and Verde:

as far as I can tell, it will only ask me for my PIN code when I add my phone number to the app

As he mentioned. :)

Hi @brenty - You had the right idea. When the option Autofill is deactivated, then it is working. Important is, that Accessibility is activated. The keyboard could be activated or deactivated. Both its ok. But when I activate Autofill again, then it is not working again for WhatsApp. Cheers!

That's really helpful! I'll let Verde know your findings. That may help him crack it. Thank you! :)

• @Philipp thanks for confirming that you're seeing the same behaviour that I am on my end. I'll keep looking into why Autofill isn't seeing the PIN field as fillable whereas Accessibility is.

• Philipp
    Philipp
    Community Member

Hello,
    I got your update 7.0 BETA-2 from today.
    But also with the new update I have the same problem. I also disabled and enabled both options (autofill & accessibility). But it is the same like last beta.
    Best regards, Philipp

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Thanks for letting us know. We'll keep at it!

• Philipp
    Philipp
    Community Member

Hi, in the meantime I have two instead of three lines anymore. There is autofill and accessibility, but keyboard is no longer available here.

But by the way, now it's not working anymore. I could turn on or turn off autofill or/and accessibility, but in no set-up it is working anymore.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Philipp: Can you be more specific? What versions are you using? What app or website are you trying to fill in? What "lines" are you referring to?

• Philipp
    Philipp
    Community Member

Hi @brenty
    Version 7.0.BETA-17 and it is still WhatsApp as we discussed before. :) With lines I mean the three entries: 1) Autofill, 2) Accessibility 3) Keyboard. Now the third entry (keyboard) is gone in this view (filling).

• Hi @Philipp. Can you elaborate a bit on the issue since it's been a while? Is the What's App Login in the Logins category, or do you still have it saved as a Database?

• Philipp
    Philipp
    Community Member

Hi @peri
    I have it saved in the Login category with the domain https://www.whatsapp.com as @brenty recommended on 12 January https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/comment/409303/#Comment_409303

Cheers, Philipp

• Eylandt
    Eylandt
    Community Member

Just signed up for beta and tried to log in to GitHub. 1Password is not recognizing the Authentication Code field and not suggesting to autofill it.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Eylandt: Though it can generate them, 1Password for Android (and most other apps) cannot fill "authentication codes". We've done some work in this area in 1Password X though, and perhaps it will be possible to bring that technology to the mobile apps in the future.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Philipp: I'm sorry for misunderstanding earlier. It sounds like you're referring to the 1Password Keyboard option not being in 1Password Settings > Filling. Is that correct? That's expected. We've removed it in version 7 since accessibility filling is available on all supported Android versions. And multi-window mode will even let you drag a username or password to a specific field. I apologize for the confusion there though. Let me know if you have any other questions. :)

• Philipp
    Philipp
    Community Member

Hi @brenty

Sorry, maybe my English is not so good that I could explain what I mean or I do not understand you.
    I'm sorry, but I will try once more again.

• A release some month ago (maybe at the beginning of this year - maybe beta-1 or beta-2): There I started (for example) WhatsApp and when WhatsApp asked every some weeks for my pin and I clicked on the pin-field. Prompt I saw a 1Password popup box, I logged in, clicked on WhatsApp and 1Password filled the pin and I was logged in again. No switching between the keyboards or between Whatsapp and 1Password was needed.
    • Some weeks later, on 22th February I wrote you this popup is not longer working anymore. Together with your help and the help of @mverde we found out, that there is a problem with the autofill option. On 1st March I wrote you, that when Autofill is deactivated, but Accessibility is activated, it is working again, so in this case I see the popup box. So there is/was any problem with the Autofill function.
    • And now, some days ago, I wrote you this is not working in any case anymore. I could activate or disable Autofill and/or Accessibility. But in no case I see the popup box anymore. ==> So the only way is to copy and paste the pin out of my 1Passwort app.

So for me the old version (from beta-1 or beta-2) was much more userfriendly. I liked the way with the popup box. I think this is a faster way to log in.

Best regards, Philipp

• Hey @Philipp. We've tested this out on our end. If you disable Autofill, you should be prompted to fill with just accessibility enabled, so please give that a try next time. In the meantime, I've gone ahead and reported the issue with Autofill to our development team. Thanks!

This discussion has been closed.