1Password data without device

Options
Fairgame
Fairgame
Community Member

Hi,
What is the latest on accessing my data if I hypothetically do not have access to any of my devices with 1Password software installed? I still use Dropbox for sync.
Providing I have my Dropbox and 1Password passwords, could I access data on a computer with internet connection via browser? Would this be easier with 1Password subscription vs. standalone license?
Thank you

1Password Version: 7.0.4
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: iOS
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• AlwaysSortaCurious
    AlwaysSortaCurious
    Community Member
    Options

@Fairgame With a subscription, you would need to know both your secret key and master password to get in via a browser without any app installed (let's say a borrowed laptop, for example, while travelling for business). One of those you created (master pw) so that is easy to remember, the other, the secret key, you might have to get from your phone or carry around in your wallet if you have no extra device. If you had rights to install the app on this device, you would still need both pieces of information.

I'm guessing you are in a situation where you can't, don't want to, install 1Password, but can install dropbox? Or maybe you can't install either? (not sure how the stand-alone license works or what is allowed under it).

I know people have differing opinions on 1Password cloud and subscription model, but I like the subscription model, two phones, two laptops, two desktops, and an ipad all have 1Password installed all for the same price. I've always got one of them going. (that secret key is really important, btw., but I'm able to access it from any of my devices since it is stored there and in a shoe box if needed... defense in depth to losing it).

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Fairgame: With the standalone version, you'd need to get a new device, install 1Password, and sign into Dropbox to access your data; so be sure to take all of that into account and plan accordingly. My Dropbox login credentials are in 1Password, so I'd be up a creek without a paddle in that case.

A 1Password.com is a better option since there's only one thing you need to access your data just about anywhere with that: your Emergency Kit. Obviously this is composed of a few pieces of information, as AlwaysSortaCurious described above, and some people don't keep their Master Password there depending on where they store the Emergency Kit, with the Master Password only in their head. Ultimately the details (e.g. shoebox) are up to us as individuals.

But a 1Password.com membership includes automatic offsite backup and item history for everything you store in your account, and all you need to do is sign in on any device to access it. While we don't recommend doing that on an untrusted device, in a true emergency, you may weigh the relative pros and cons of doing so, if you truly need immediate access to 1Password and are okay with taking that risk. Otherwise, as soon as you have a replacement device or access to one you do trust you'll be back up and running as fast as you can sign into your account.

I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• Fairgame
    Fairgame
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you both of you for your reply. I thought that standalone version did not have the web browser access anymore, but I was not sure. I got subscription for my parents so I have a feel how emergency kit works. Myself, still on standalone version, we talked about a possibility of being without any device and our reliance on 1Password for any login. It did not happen to us but could have, for example flooding and no electricity, using friend’s house and computer etc. Luckily, this was only hypothetical scenario, but real possibility.
    This helps to plan for and play different scenarios.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Sure thing! Glad that helped. It's definitely good to think about these things ahead of time and plan accordingly. Hopefully you're never in such a situation, but it's better to be prepared if and when you are. :) :+1:

This discussion has been closed.