Upgrading 1Password 3.8.22 to 6.8.5

Dear AgileBits,

I'm in a total jam trying to install the latest downloaded version 6.8.5.
I have 3.8.22 running on an iMac 2Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo, OS 10.7.5
I'm trying to install 6.8.5 on a MacMini (late 2014) OS 10.13.1
I have a family-bundle 1Password since many years and can't remember how or what.
The onscreen instructions aren't helpful. Can't find the 'Secret Code', Can't find the URL.
'Click the accounts button' isn't available on 1Password 3.8.22.
I'd prefer to talk tot someone on the phone to sort things out.

my girlfriend has similar problems since upgrading her OSX (she's in my family-bundle),
and I have similar problems on my iPhone since upgrading the iOS, but I'll start a separate topic about it to keep things tidier.

Thanks,
Manoel

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@ManoelNguyen: Thanks for reaching out. I’m sorry for the confusion! We don't have a call center, and it's pretty much impossible to exchange technical information efficiently over the phone. Also, keep in mind that if you purchased a family license it is for up to 5 family members living in the same household. 1Password 6 will not work on OS X Lion; only 1Password 3 will. Do you have 1Password data on the old computer currently?

It sounds like you may be trying to login with a 1Password Account, but you will only have one if you've signed up for a 1Password.com membership. That’s the only way you’ll have a Secret Key or Sign In URL, or be able to access your data through 1Password.com. Instead, you can use 1Password without an account you can sync your data from another device or create a new vault. Just choose the "used 1Password before" option to use your existing data or create a new vault.

However, you may want to consider a 1Password.com membership, since it gives you access to all of the apps, the web interface, and does away with license management and sync configuration altogether — you simply login to your account to authorize a device and access your data. You can try it for free for 30 days to take advantage of all of its benefits. That would simplify things for you, but you can also continue to use the version you paid for and sync your data yourself instead. Just let me know what you need help with!

• ManoelNguyen
    ManoelNguyen
    Community Member

I keep using version 3 on the iMac OS Lion (the only device left I can access 1Password!) and want to install 1PW 6 on MacMini OS 10.7.5.
    the "used 1Password before" option has, among others Dropbox to exchange and is asking for an agile keychain or opvault-file. How do I get it there from 1PW 3 on the other computer?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@ManoelNguyen: Sure thing! Though there are some real limitations and concerns using an outdated OS and browser, 1Password 3 is the only version which will work there. So no real way around that, other than upgrading at some point.

If you want to transfer the 1Password data from the old computer to a newer one though, just open 1Password 3 on your Mac mini and go to Preferences > General. That will show you the location of your AgileKeychain vault. You can copy that over to your other computer, and 1Password 6 can open it from the "used 1Password before" options ("on this Mac" at that point, probably) you mentioned and you'll be in business there.

You didn't indicate trying to do this, but just to be on the safe side I want to mention that if you make changes to that data in 1Password 6 and copy it back to the other computer again, do not make changes to it with 1Password 3 any more. 1Password 6 uses a newer data structure with 1Password 3 will not understand and ignore, and that will cause issues for you if you want to continue sharing that vault between old and new computers.

I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• ManoelNguyen
    ManoelNguyen
    Community Member

@brenty:
    Thanks, got it working! Just Firefox is refusing to install the plugin, saying that it's a corrupt file... Safari plugin is OK.
    Should I remove the file on Dropbox to be on the safe side?

Next question: my girlfriend is using 1Password from my bundle too, but after an OS-X update 1Password 3 doesn't work anymore; how can she retrieve the data to move them to 1PW6?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Thanks, got it working! Just Firefox is refusing to install the plugin, saying that it's a corrupt file...

@ManoelNguyen: Which version of Firefox? If it's recent, you should have no trouble installing the latest version here: https://agilebits.com/onepassword/extensions

But sometimes "security" software can screw things up to the point where Firefox cannot establish a secure connection, so definitely let me know the exact error you're seeing. A screenshot would be great. To include it in your reply, simply click the document button in the top of the comment field, and select the file you wish to share:

Just be sure not to post anything sensitive, as this is a public forum. Thanks in advance!

Safari plugin is OK.

Good to hear! :) :+1:

Should I remove the file on Dropbox to be on the safe side?

Do you mean after you transfer the data to the new computer? You can if you want to, but you may want to use Dropbox to sync your 1Password data between devices. Let me know what you have in mind!

Next question: my girlfriend is using 1Password from my bundle too, but after an OS-X update 1Password 3 doesn't work anymore; how can she retrieve the data to move them to 1PW6?

If you go in 1Password 3 Preferences > General, that will show you the location of the AgileKeychain vault. That's her data, and any recent version of 1Password can read it if she upgrades to a newer version. Cheers! :)

• ManoelNguyen
    ManoelNguyen
    Community Member

@brenty: thanks, Firefox needed updating...

How do I get into the 1Password 3 Prefs if the application doesn't open (on the newly updated OS-X)?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@brenty: thanks, Firefox needed updating...

@ManoelNguyen: Ah, great! Glad that did the trick. :)

How do I get into the 1Password 3 Prefs if the application doesn't open (on the newly updated OS-X)?

I'm honestly not sure. It should. It opens here, just doesn't work so well. Which OS are you using?

• ManoelNguyen
    ManoelNguyen
    Community Member

My girlfriend is out of town with her MacBook until tomorrow night so I can't check that now.
    Will get back to you about it later.
    Can I save the 'AgileKeychain vault' on the computer itself instead of Dropbox?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

My girlfriend is out of town with her MacBook until tomorrow night so I can't check that now. Will get back to you about it later.

@ManoelNguyen: No problem! We're not going anywhere! :lol:

Can I save the 'AgileKeychain vault' on the computer itself instead of Dropbox?

The AgileKeychain vault will always be stored locally on your computer. Keeping it inside the Dropbox folder just means Dropbox will sync it along with anything else you keep there. Cheers! :)

• ManoelNguyen
    ManoelNguyen
    Community Member

OK, now that my updated 1PW seems to be working on computer and iPhone, I'd like some help with a problem that occurs when I try to update 1PW on my girlfriends computer. When trying I get the message:

Computer and system:

Any suggestions?

(PS: I can't try anything until the weekend when I see her and MacBook again)

• ManoelNguyen
    ManoelNguyen
    Community Member

Why can't I find a 'lock' button on my iPhone 1PW app?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Why can't I find a 'lock' button on my iPhone 1PW app?

@ManoelNguyen: You can lock 1Password for iOS with Settings > Security > Lock Now, but by default the app locks when you switch away from it (Settings > Security > Lock on Exit) and also on a timer (Settings > Security > Auto-Lock).

OK, now that my updated 1PW seems to be working on computer and iPhone, I'd like some help with a problem that occurs when I try to update 1PW on my girlfriends computer. When trying I get the message: Computer and system: Any suggestions? (PS: I can't try anything until the weekend when I see her and MacBook again)

Ah, that won't work, as that's a very old version of 1Password and we've updated our servers i the years since then. The latest version of 1Password for Mac supports Yosemite, El Captan, Sierra, and High Sierra though, and can be downloaded from our website:

https://1password.com/downloads/

Just make sure you remove the old version of the app first. DO NOT use a "cleaner" app; just drag it to the Trash and restart the Mac. The data is stored separately so it will not be affected. Let me know how you get along! :)

• ManoelNguyen
    ManoelNguyen
    Community Member

Thanks,
    I had been looking where I could find those data but no luck. I had expected them in 'Preferences > General' like in 1Password 3.

About locking on iPhone: I had overlooked it when searching in 'Security'. Not locking it when leaving the app feels unnaturally as apps like my banking etc. remain open when I close the app.
    I would prefer a direct lock on the homepage like on the computer.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Thanks, I had been looking where I could find those data but no luck. I had expected them in 'Preferences > General' like in 1Password 3.

@ManoelNguyen: Sure thing! Glad that helped. :)

About locking on iPhone: I had overlooked it when searching in 'Security'. Not locking it when leaving the app feels unnaturally as apps like my banking etc. remain open when I close the app.

I would prefer a direct lock on the homepage like on the computer.

It's not something we have plans to do since 1Password for iOS has great automatic locking, but it's something we can consider for a future version. Thanks for the feedback! :)

• ManoelNguyen
    ManoelNguyen
    Community Member

??? So how dó I find the data before I trash the old version on the MacBook?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@ManoelNguyen: Ah, that was one of your first questions I answered:

If you want to transfer the 1Password data from the old computer to a newer one though, just open 1Password 3 on your Mac mini and go to Preferences > General. That will show you the location of your AgileKeychain vault. You can copy that over to your other computer, and 1Password 6 can open it from the "used 1Password before" options ("on this Mac" at that point, probably) you mentioned and you'll be in business there.

That should do it, but I'm here if you have any other questions! :chuffed:

• ManoelNguyen
    ManoelNguyen
    Community Member

There's obviously a confusion about which computer and version:
    This was about my own computers and about 1Password 3. Everything is working there.

My next project was my girlfriends with 1Password 4.4.3. I couldn't locate the data on the same spot (Preferences > General)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited January 2018

There's obviously a confusion about which computer and version: This was about my own computers and about 1Password 3. Everything is working there.

@ManoelNguyen: Ah, sorry for misunderstanding. :blush:

My next project was my girlfriends with 1Password 4.4.3. I couldn't locate the data on the same spot (Preferences > General)

Indeed, starting with 1Password 4 there is no external copy of the vault unless needed for syncing. If you enable Dropbox or Folder sync in 1Password Preferences > Sync, that will create an AgileKeychain in the location you specify. You can copy it from there, just as you did on the other computer; it just needs to be created first. I hope this helps! :)

This discussion has been closed.