Single Account to Family Account

esophoria
esophoria
Community Member

I have a single 1password account which I have purchased at the Apple App Store. Can. you outline what I have to do to add my wife and her passwords to the account? If I have to convert my account to a family account..how do I do that? Also, since my account syncs to my devices with iCloud...how will she sync her account to her devices since we have separate iCloud accounts.

1Password Version: 6.85 at the App Store
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: osx 10.3.2
Sync Type: iCloud

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@esophoria - if you're syncing your 1Password data via iCloud then you're not using (and probably don't have) a 1password.com account. There are two ways to use 1Password: as a standalone app, where you create data locally and choose an advanced sync method like iCloud or Dropbox if you want to sync, or with a 1password.com membership/account. Since you're using iCloud, it sounds like you've got a standalone setup.

In such a case, especially using iCloud as your sync method, you can't invite your wife to join you, because (as you noted) you have separate Apple IDs/iCloud accounts. What it sounds like you're looking for is a 1Password Families account. This is the newer way to use 1Password, and it allows up to five people to join a family. Each person has a Private vault for their personal items, and everyone has access to the Shared vault, which is where you can share data with the entire family. You can also create as many new vaults as you want, and invite any combination of family members to those.

If that sounds good to you, you can head over to the main 1Password Families sign-up page and create an account. There's a full 30 days free before you have to enter payment details, so you can test it out thoroughly and see if it's for you. We've also got a great guide for migrating existing data to a 1password.com account. Let us know if you have any questions!

This discussion has been closed.