QR Code on Linux Machines

So setting up a new device it seems like you can get a QR code to setup your mobile device. But It seems like it wants to open an app to do this. Is this capability not available for Linux users?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Ubuntu 17.10
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• beyer
    beyer
    1Password Alumni
    edited April 2018

Hey @jrock2004,

You can find your Secret Key and Setup (QR) Code for your 1Password account on the web. This should work on any modern web browser regardless of the operating system you're using.

To view your Setup (QR) Code:
    1. Sign in to your 1Password account.
    2. Click your account name in the top right and choose Get the Apps to see your Setup Code.

I hope that helps! Please let me know if run into any issues along the way.

&drew

• jrock2004
    jrock2004
    Community Member

@beyer Sorry it took so long to get back. The problem is, the link for the button starts with onepassword: and the browser does not know what to do with this.

• dteare
    edited January 2018

Thanks for the update, @jrock2004. I'm not sure if I'm following you 100% so please allow me to take a step back and explain the various options and then we'll go from there. Let's start with a screenshot to make sure we're on the same page (literally! :)):

This is a screenshot of my Get the Apps page from my test account. The QRCode on the left is what you'd use to set up your mobile device, and I believe you have already done that. You can also use the QRCode to setup 1Password for Mac or 1Password for Windows if you have them installed. There is no separate desktop app for Linux users so this isn't applicable there.

The "Already have the app? Add your account directly" link allows you to launch the desktop app and add your account automatically. It's the one that has the onepassword: link you mentioned and again this is only intended for users who already have the Desktop app installed.

As for the "Sign in manually" link, it is typically not needed and is meant as a manual work around in case there is an OS configuration issue that prevents the automatic onepassword: link or QRCode from working.

With all that said, I don't think any of this is what you are looking for. By the sounds of things you already have your mobile device set up so all you need to do is to configure 1Password X on your Linux machine. For this you should simply need to log in to your account on 1Password.com and 1Password X will detect this and add the account automatically (or prompt you to add it, depending on how you arrived at the sign in page).

Are you not being prompted to add your account?

• jrock2004
    jrock2004
    Community Member

Oh, I thought I had to hit the button to get the real code, lol

• beyer
    beyer
    1Password Alumni
    edited April 2018

@jrock2004: Interesting. I apologize for the confusion there! :)

The QR code displayed is exactly what you need to get another device set up.

Did that work for you?

&drew

• jrock2004
    jrock2004
    Community Member

@beyer Yeah that worked. Thanks

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Glad that helped! We're here if you have any other questions. Have a great week! :chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.