Can a website pass on any password generation instructions to the 1Password extension?

We are currently revamping the signup flow on our website and we try to do quite everything we can to make a flawless experience. We know that many of our users and new registrants use some kind of password manager software, so I was looking into how we can best cooperate with such softwares. And 1Password being one of the most widely used such software it would be great to learn what we can do to best help a 1P user generate a password for our service. However I didn't find any knowledge base or existing feature info. Is it indeed true that there is nothing such in place?

What I found is that we can provide a "pattern" attribute for the password input field. It is considered in any way by 1P when someone generates password with the browser extension when registering?

Is there any attribute or meta info that we can pass on to 1P where we describe the password generation needs of the input so that the software creates the proper kind of password?

It would be great to have something like this and from the development side I can say that we (and probably many other developers) would be happy to cooperate. Even if you don't have anything like this in place right now, let me know if we can collaborate to make something like this happen. Would be happy to cooperate.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Thanks for reaching out to us, @vargacs! We don't currently have a way for developers to communicate password limitations directly with the password generator in 1Password. If you'd like to encourage the use of a password generator, I'd recommend using reasonable password restrictions that won't cause any interference with generated passwords. Generally, when following standard web development and database practices, restricting character content, length, or other similar qualities aren't needed. Those types of limitations don't serve a real purpose other than artificially limiting users' password security by reducing the entropy of the allowed passwords.

If you are concerned with your current limitations causing issues, would you be able to share what password limitations you're currently using? I'd be curious to know which restrictions would interfere with generated passwords.

This discussion has been closed.