Secondary Street Address Field: transparency around timing

sammm
sammm
Community Member

Hi,

I adore 1Password and — as of this year — have been using it for an entire decade (!). For a good portion of this time period AgileBits has acknowledged the multiple requests for this feature that they've received, but I really would like more information on if this even on the roadmap. Every few months I search and see new posts about this, but no new developments around it.

I do believe we're on the same page. The use case is very clear and I don't doubt that you don't understand it. I also appreciate the technical explanation of why this wasn't built in from day 1. But it's been many years now, and I think there is considerable demand for it. I understand most of you are based in Toronto where things may be a bit more spaced out, but every hyper-dense urban user who has an Identity item filled out is impacted by this. I live in NYC. A sliver of a fraction of a percent actually truly owns an entire townhouse without a unit/apt designator. I don't understand why you'd alienate such a large portion of your users who would benefit from this capability. Additionally, looking through the older posts, apparently most countries outside of the US require this field!!

Like I said before, I understand the reason why this is not included, but what I don't understand is why after so many years it is still not included. Every other password manager I know of has this, and as far as I know every major browser's built in form filling supports this, so the solution cannot be impossible. If there are truly no plans to every build this out, can AgileBits please share this, or provide some additional transparency around the plans for this? I'd like to research alternative form fillers to accomplish the task of filling in my shipping address if there are no plans to add support for multi line addresses.

If the names of the 2nd address field always differ, why name assume the field following the first address field that was identified yet before the city field to be the 2nd address field? I can't imagine what else it would be, if it was not that field. And I honestly can't remember the last time I saw a form that did not have two distinct fields for entering a street address, one for the primary street and a secondary one for apartment.

Thank you for the information!

PS - what prompted me to write this is an item I purchased was not delivered because no apartment was listed. This is of course my fault, but it's very frustrating as it has happened several times now.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• sammm
    sammm
    Community Member

Other threads requesting same feature after doing quick search (there may be more):

https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/59442/cant-enter-multi-line-address
    https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/39179/for-the-identities-category-can-you-add-more-fields-lines-basically-to-the-address-field
    https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/66384/need-an-additional-information-line-in-an-address
    https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/11908/identity-address-line-2-doesnt-work

The earliest dates back to 4 years ago. I don't think it's appropriate to say it's on the roadmap anymore if after this period of time it has still not been built, in my opinion.

Thank you again 8-)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited March 2017

@sammm: As you can imagine, the "roadmap" changes over time based on a lot of factors: OS updates, browser changes, new technologies, and — of course — customer feedback. I'm sorry that multiple address lines, a feature you clearly care so much about, hasn't yet made it into a new version of 1Password, but we need to prioritize the things that give the most benefit to the greatest number of users. You've already point out, of course, that this feature could help many 1Password users around the world — many of us here at AgileBits, in fact. While we're based in Toronto, at this point most of us aren't even in Canada. Or North America. I'm not. But I think you'll appreciate that this isn't the sort of feature that users get excited about or request a lot. Once a month or so, in the grand scheme of things, is fairly infrequent, compared to the things users ask us for nearly every day. However,

PS - what prompted me to write this is an item I purchased was not delivered because no apartment was listed. This is of course my fault, but it's very frustrating as it has happened several times now.

This sucks. It is only your fault in the most literal sense of you not checking to see if something was missing. But you shouldn't have to. 1Password should take care of this for you, and it really bothers all of us when it fails with filling in any circumstance. And unfortunately this is very much a daily thing. I wish I could say that this feature is coming soon, but we're constantly working to improve 1Password's filling with the fields it already supports. This is absolutely something 1Password should do, and something we want it to do, but filling overall is an area where we have our work cut out for us already. I'm not saying this to elicit sympathy, only to give you a clearer picture of things since you asked.

For example, adding this would mean some big changes under the hood in both the app and extension, across multiple platforms. The extension team is full of crazy people who just love this kind of stuff. Filling issues are a puzzle worth solving for our users. But at the same time there are big changes coming in the browser space that we have a lot of work to prepare and be ready for. This isn't stuff that most users will care about or even perhaps notice when the time comes...unless we don't do the necessary work and it results in things breaking. So it's just not something we are working on right now. I sincerely hope it's something we'll be able to work on in the future though once the dust settles, and I've added your feedback on this to our internal tracker because it's something we'll need to come back to once we've got some spare cycles. Thanks for caring enough to take the time to share your thoughts on this. You're right. We just can't do this right now.

ref: OPM-1053

• iwbyte
    iwbyte
    Community Member

Any updates on this? My daughter wants to add her address at school but it needs two (if not more!) lines of address for university name, residence hall name, street address, room number.

I was shocked when I tried to help her add it and looked for what I assumed would be a 'plus' symbol to add additional lines of address, just like every other app we're using when updating her new address. Disapointing for her and also for me, when I'm trying to order her things to send to her. I use identity submission on all my web forms and love it, but now for her its going to be a 2-3 step process of keyboard and mouse instead of a few keyboard strokes.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @iwbyte,

Thanks for checking up on this! Unfortunately I don't have any news to share at this time, but I'm happy to let our team know that this feature is important to you.

• NickJupiter
    NickJupiter
    Community Member
    edited October 2017

I am writing to keep the pressure on with respect to this issue in the hope that 1Password will finally dedicate the time and effort required to add a secondary address field. It may well mean some big revisions to the code, but as many commentators have pointed out, it is a requirement on basically all shopping websites. The competition, Last Pass and Dashlane, enable unit or apartment fill in. 1Password is a superior password manager in many ways, but with respect to address fill in, it is second rate. I am appealing to your professional pride. Of course, it's not any work at all for me to type my apartment number into an address field; it's two keystrokes. But it's inelegant, it's kludgey, it's ugly, and none of us want to use an ugly product. Please don't put this off any longer and please don't brush requests for this capability aside.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@NickJupiter: I don't think it's accurate to say that it's "a requirement on basically all shopping websites": I rarely encounter sites that even support this, and am usually relegated to cramming everything into a single address field. "Pressure" doesn't make any difference, but it is good to know that this is a feature you'd like us to add and why. We do want to make 1Password more flexible in this regard, but it's something that takes a lot of coordination behind the scenes since it would need to be supported in 6 different apps and also work for filling in the browser extension, all within roughly the same time frame. We're not "putting off" or "brushing aside" requests, but we do have to not only prioritize the things that help more users, but also be realistic about the logistics of doing this. I have no doubt we will add this feature, but it's the sort of thing that you'll see one day after we've been working on it behind the scenes for awhile, so that you for your patience and encouragement in the mean time. Until then, the answer has to be "not now". :blush:

• sammm
    sammm
    Community Member

I honestly cannot recall a single ecommerce site that has only one street address field as opposed to two. AgileBits employees must be shopping on sites I have never used. Not that I don't believe you, but I'd love to see a site that only has one street field and how it presents it in terms of usability since it would be incompatible with a large portion of the world that requires two fields in their formatted address.

It is true that the United States Postal Service formally recommends unit designators such as apartments, etc, to be included on the same line as the street address. However, in practice, very few people actually do this when there is a secondary field available to use. I do not understand AB's resistance to this.

• I wouldn't describe it as resistant. As a PO Box holder, where the USPS requires the PO Box to be listed on a second line (unless leaving off the street address entirely), I'd love to have this. So please don't think that we haven't heard or understood the request, or that we don't want to do it. It is mostly two things:

1) It is a terrible amount of work for what is seemingly such a simple thing. Not only does it mean updating the database format it also means updating all of the client apps in unison.
    2) A matter of priorities. Frankly there are a lot of people that want a lot of different things from 1Password, and this hasn't become enough of a priority to make it to the top of that list. I know that isn't awesome, but reality is that there are only so many hours in the day.

Ben

• sammm
    sammm
    Community Member

Thanks for the reply. Good point on PO Box, hadn't even thought of that. That actually seems like more of a pressing use case than an apartment number. I appreciate it's not a simple change to make, and it seems like this should have been architected in years ago but now it's too difficult to do so. Please know that there's a whole lot of people (and evidently AB employees :p ) that want this and are impacted by this, and I dearly wish that this not be written off.

Every few months I'll pop back in here to express my continued interest in the hopes it has some impact on the roadmap. If there are any other 1P members reading this nodding in agreement, I encourage you to add to this thread 8-) In the meantime I'm going to try Chrome's autofill or some other alternative (but only for mailing addresses!)

Thanks Ben!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Definitely not written off. It's something many of us deal with each day. But that's just us: it makes a big difference to hear from customers what features are wanted. Often we want the same things, but if we think no one else cares it's hard to justify prioritizing stuff that seems to matter to more people. Always happy to hear what people want, as it saves us the trouble of guessing. ;)

• maged
    maged
    Community Member

I've been a 1P for longer than I can remember. This has been something that has frustrated me for many years. I understand prioritizing but this needs to get onto a defined schedule for implementation. Many people share the problem but may not be raising their voice. How do you get input from your customer base on what is the highest priority for them?

• JamesHenderson
    JamesHenderson
    Community Member

same here - long time user - desperately need the 2nd line...

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

same here - long time user - desperately need the 2nd line...

@JamesHenderson: Thanks for letting us know you'd like us to add this feature! :)

I've been a 1P for longer than I can remember. This has been something that has frustrated me for many years. I understand prioritizing but this needs to get onto a defined schedule for implementation.

@maged: We don't share schedules for new features or unreleased versions. Sorry. I'll share your request with the team though. :)

Many people share the problem but may not be raising their voice. How do you get input from your customer base on what is the highest priority for them?

Just like this. Thank you! :chuffed:

• JamesHenderson
    JamesHenderson
    Community Member

@brenty cheers.

I did mention this before (years ago) but nothing came of it then.

...still think 1Password beats everything else out there, but this one drives me nuts,

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

I did mention this before (years ago) but nothing came of it then.

@JamesHenderson: I hear you. Indeed, it's been a long-standing request, but while it's absolutely crucial for some people, we get far more requests for other things. It just isn't something people get excited about, and it has many technical hurdles as well. I have no doubt we'll add this in a future version, but I can't say for certain when that may be, as it will have to be developed and tested across 6 apps.

...still think 1Password beats everything else out there, but this one drives me nuts,

Thanks for the kind words, especially under the circumstances. We have some ideas in this area, and hopefully we'll be able to add this feature down the road.

ref: OPM-1053

• ukwiz
    ukwiz
    Community Member

It is a blocker for me. I will have to back to LastPass. As this has been going on for years I don't hold out much hope for it being implemented.
    It is a shame that the product is designed around the US market with little thought for the rest of the world

• Ben
    Ben
    edited April 2018

Thanks for the feedback, @ukwiz. I’m sorry we aren’t currently able to better meet your needs in this regard.

Ben

ref: RPN-41878-686

• sammm
    sammm
    Community Member

Just to restate my opinion, this is also very much a US need as well. I live in NYC and this omission has a direct, indisputable impact on the 8+ million residents of this city, since as I stated above it's unheard of to own an entire address in this city. Because of this, arguably it is designed around the Canada market, while ignoring the US and international markets.

This was the number one thing I was looking forward to in v7; sad to see it will continue to remain on the back burner.

• Thanks, @sammm. I’m sorry I don’t have the answer you were hoping for.

Ben

• sammm
    sammm
    Community Member

Thanks.

• :+1:

Ben

• ukwiz
    ukwiz
    Community Member

Has anything changed on this?

• JadC
    JadC
    1Password Alumni
    edited February 2019

Hi @ukwiz, no particular updates at this time, but we have an internal issue filed, so we have not forgotten :smile:.

ref: b5/b5#4722

• ukwiz
    ukwiz
    Community Member

This bug has been outstanding for 5 years! Not a good example of quality

• @ukwiz,

I’m sorry but we don’t have any plans to change this. I’d love to see us do so at some point, but it doesn’t seem likely that it will happen in the near future. And not to split hairs, but this isn’t a bug. Bugs are things where the software works in ways that were not intended by the development team. Development never intended for 1Password to support a 2nd address line, which makes this a feature request and not a bug. I don’t mean to sound negative here — as I mentioned it is something I’d very much like to have as well, and it isn’t something that we’ve ruled out. But it isn’t on the agenda right now.

Ben

• Jorgeelizondom
    Jorgeelizondom
    Community Member

I add myself to this feature request. It is really important to have a second street address to properly use the address field and without it the identity feature is pretty useless for many many people

Thanks

• Thanks for the feedback @Jorgeelizondom

Ben

• chattanooga
    chattanooga
    Community Member

I agree with these requests - not having a 2nd address line, this far into development of a product meant for filling in forms on the web, seems somewhat out of touch with your market.

• sammm
    sammm
    Community Member

I think it’s safe to say that I’ve been championing this feature request more than any other user. I started this thread last year to pinpoint a timeline of what “on the roadmap” meant, as this is what 1P repeatedly stated over the years.

This thread has indeed served its purpose as we now know the following: 1P no longer has any plans to implement this, is not interested in implementing this, and any user still holding out on this should set expectations accordingly as this will, quite simply, not be coming to 1P.

I’ve emotionally explained in detail in my earlier posts at how I strongly disagree with their position on this so I won’t rehash it here. But for anyone new visiting this, let it be crystal clear that after 4 years of being on the roadmap, this is something that AB fundamentally strategically disagrees with, and it will not be coming to 1P.

If 1P disagrees with my analysis here, I challenge them to actually state that this is something that will be definitively be added in the future. Because based on @Ben’s most recent comment, it seems that that is not the case. You can’t have something on the roadmap for a decade and pretend to still care about implementing it while at the same time saying that the very architecture of the program would conflict with it, so I appreciate Ben’s most recent candidness.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@sammm: Please re-read Ben's earliest reply to you. As you noted at the time, he makes some important points that perhaps you've lost sight of here, perhaps out of frustration due to not getting what you want in the time frame you settled on in your mind. The only mentions of "roadmap" are from you in this thread, and me quoting you in this thread. We don't discuss future plans and unreleased stuff publicly, with very few exceptions. I'm sorry if there was any confusion about that. Please take a step back, and remember that you don't get to speak for us, no matter how passionate you are. Unfortunately emotions don't change the fact that this would be a fundamental change to 1Password data structures and functionality, across about 7 apps now. What we care about is up to us, not you. Just because somebody — whether you or me — wants a feature doesn't mean we can justify not doing a bunch of other things to make it happen. I think we probably will someday, but there's a lot of other work that needs to be done on things that will have a much greater impact on 1Password users than address fields, at least for the time being. Sorry.

This discussion has been closed.