what is the difference between .com .eu and such?

Options
r2ne
r2ne
Community Member

I currently have a family plan on 1password.com but I saw there is .eu and .ca what is the difference in them? And if I happen to want to switch my current .com to those what is the benefit and what will happen and how? I do live in the EU so was wondering.

1Password Version: 6.8.496
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 10 / Firefox
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:what is the difference between .com .eu and such?

Comments

• Ben
    Ben
    edited January 2018
    Options

Hi @r2ne,

The difference is where data is stored.

.com is stored in the US
    .ca is stored in Canada
    .eu is stored in Germany

The software is the same regardless.

There is no way to “switch” from one to the other — if you have a .com account and wanted an .eu account you’d need to create a new account and copy your data over manually:

Move items between vaults

Unless you have a specific reason to do so it is likely going to be a fair bit of work for little or no gain. :)

Thanks!

Ben

• r2ne
    r2ne
    Community Member
    Options

Is there any speed difference or such as well as price does it charge in euros or so forth?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@r2ne - the 1Password.com (and .eu, .ca) sync engine is blisteringly fast, compared to older, 3rd-party sync methods. We use Amazon's AWS as our host, and while I'm not an expert on their hardware and network infrastructure, I don't think they offer noticeably better speeds in one region than another. The most likely difference you'd see in speed might be if you chose a data location that was far outside your own region, just due to internet congestion. I live in the United States, so choosing .com is best for me, although .ca might not be a problem. But a 1Password.eu account would be my last choice, just based on speed considerations.

All of that said, unless you have an absolute ton of Documents that increase the overall volume of 1Password data in your account, I imagine you'd be hard-pressed to notice too much of a difference under normal conditions. If you live in the EU, it might be preferable to follow ben's directions to switch over your 1password.com account to a 1Password.eu account, but for those who don't, it likely won't gain you much if anything speed-wise, for a fair amount of hassle. Prices are basically the same, though at 1Password.eu, payment is made in Euros, not USD.

This discussion has been closed.