version 6 for Windows not locking

Options

v 6.8.496 for Windows does not lock within the 10 minutes I stipulated in settings. Also, when I close the app and and relaunch it, no password is requested. This is a serious security flag. it happens at work on Windows 7 and at home on Windows 10

1Password Version: 6.8.496
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 7
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:1 password v 6 for Windows not locking after stipulated time

Comments

• @jgaliette: I'm not able to reproduce this myself, but this is certainly something we don't want to be happening. Let's make sure 1Password is actually misbehaving here real quick.

That 10 minute timer starts when your computer is completely idle. That means if no mouse or keyboard activity occurs for 10 minutes, 1Password will lock automatically. Bonk your mouse so your cursor moves and the timer resets. A good thing to check is to set this timer to 30 seconds (the shortest available) and take your hands away from your keyboard/mouse for 30 seconds and see if 1Password locks. If it does, it's likely locking appropriately.

I don't point this out to minimize your concerns by any means. I just want to make sure we double-check before digging too deep because often folks think this timer starts if you haven't used 1Password itself for that period of time, when in fact it applies to everything on your PC. If you're typing a Word document with 1Password minimized to tray, then it isn't going to lock no matter how long you take because your computer isn't idle.

Now, let's talk briefly about minimizing to tray. This is Windows, so we close an app by clicking the X, right? Not always, and in the case of 1Password, that's not how it works. When you click that X, 1Password minimizes to your system tray. Give it a try now, then click that arrow down near your clock. See the 1Password icon? That means it's still running. This is because the main app controls the extension you use to save and fill, so we need to keep it running in the background to help you do that, even when you want the main app out of the way. Now, let's try something different. Right-click that icon we were talking about and select Exit. Now, 1Password is closed. Go ahead and launch it again and see if it asks for your Master Password. If it does, all is well. It's launching locked as it's supposed to.

Again, I wanted to clarify the expected behavior here to make sure 1Password is doing what we expect it to do under these conditions. Even if it's behaving exactly as expected, but you want it to do something different, that's fine. Let us know and we'll help you tweak your settings to get things working the way you like. And, of course, if it fails any of these checks, let us know and we'll take a closer look. :chuffed:

• jgaliette
    jgaliette
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you for your very thorough response. I set the timer for 30 seconds and it did indeed ask for password and lock. I then tried your exercise of clicking the X in the one password window. I did not see the down arrow by my clock. The one password icon was in this systray, if I right click on that and I chose exit, the icon disappeared from the systray but the extension was also grayed out in Chrome. I had to relaunch the app to get the extension to work. Overall, I am glad that the application locked in the 30second internal and I am glad to know that clicking on the X does not stop,the application. Thanks for your help

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Excellent! Thanks for the update. On behalf of Kate, you are most welcome! Indeed, 1Password needs to be running in order for it to connect to the browser, but it's no problem to close (or minimize) the window since it can run in the notification area. Cheers! :)

This discussion has been closed.