20-character passphrase?

Options
DavidB
DavidB
Community Member
edited January 2018 in Lounge

What is the best way to modify a 1Password-generated passphrase for usages that have a 20-character limit? (It doesn't need to be easy to memorize, just easy to keyboard.)

Thank you,

David

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• jpgoldberg
    jpgoldberg
    1Password Alumni
    Options

If you don't need to memorize it, then you are probably best going not for a pass phrase but instead a character-based one that is letters only. You can even make it lowercase only, if you need to type it on mobile devices. That is going to get you the most strength for your 20 characters while still be typable.

Note that a length of 15 of lower case letters only is still going to be very very strong (70bits). So you can save yourself five more things to type.

• DavidB
    DavidB
    Community Member
    edited January 2018
    Options

The only reason I would prefer a passphrase here is because I find words easier to keyboard than random letters. Also, a passphrase is easier to give to someone on the phone, which I sometimes need to do.

So, are the two following 1P-generated passwords both acceptably strong for most purposes?

uvular-ascribe-disti (20 characters, truncated from uvular-ascribe-distinct-locutor)
    apxdegizvkrlwuydnher (20 characters)

David

• Ben
    Options

They most likely would have been, had they not been posted on a public forum. :)

Ben

This discussion has been closed.