New login information going to the wrong vault.

Options
rej1944
rej1944
Community Member

I have just added my wife to our new family account. We have two vaults, hers and mine, mine being the original vault. Whenever my wife tries to add a login automatically (when she logs into a web site) the login information is stored but it is stored in "my" vault rather than hers even though she has her vault selected in the 1Password extension. Is there a trick to make sure that our different login information will be recorded in the correct account?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
thanks

1Password Version: 6.8.5
Extension Version: current one
OS Version: OS X 10.13.2
Sync Type: iCloud

Comments

• Manaburner
    Manaburner
    Community Member
    Options

When you and your wife are using your Mac, are you both using separate user accounts? It does sound like you added your and your wife's account to the 1Password app of the same Mac user. The nice folks from AB can correct me here, but that's not intended to work that way. Although one person can have multiple accounts (e.g. 1 Family account and a team account from work), it's not a good idea to have accounts from multiple people on the same Mac user account. Things can get mixed up, which you seem to have experienced here.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@rej1944 - I'm a little confused. You speak of a 1Password Families account, but you also say your sync type is iCloud. These two are not compatible.

The first question I'd ask is whether you (and/or your wife) have a local, Primary vault in 1Password for Mac, or only your 1Password Families account vault(s)? Or both? Also, I think @manaburner is on the right track: if you both use the same Mac computer, do you each have a separate user account on the Mac? Or do you just share one user account?

• rej1944
    rej1944
    Community Member
    Options

I converted my personal account into a family account. When I put 1Password on my wife's Mac (we have separate computers) she was prompted to create her own account under her own email address. So I would guess our setup is one "family" or "group" account with two separate users. When either of us log in we have access to three vaults (mine, my wife's, and a shared vault). It is possible to manually add logins to any of the vaults but when logins are set up automatically during an internet login process then the login information goes to my vault which was the original one on my account before it was converted to a family/group account. Fortunately we do not have any "private" logins which we don't mind sharing but it is a pain to have my wife set up logins and have them end up in my vault. I hope this helps clear our setup up.
    NOW GET THIS. Maybe I might have found the problem. When you get the dialog box that pops up when a login is to be stored in 1Password I just noticed that you can select which vault the login information is to be stored in using a drop down menu. Is this the solution?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@rej1944

When you get the dialog box that pops up when a login is to be stored in 1Password I just noticed that you can select which vault the login information is to be stored in using a drop down menu. Is this the solution?

Yes, you can use that selector to choose where items will be saved/created by default, though you will also have a chance on a Login-by-Login basis to choose to save to a different vault on-the-fly.

But I'm more concerned that each of you has access to the other person's Private vault. That should never be the case. If each of you signed up with a separate email and you each have a separate Secret Key and Master Password, you should each see only your OWN Private vault, plus the Shared vault (which is indeed shared between the two of you). You're saying both of you can see/read/edit each others' Private vaults?

• rej1944
    rej1944
    Community Member
    Options

That is correct. Whenever we sign in on our respective devices all we have to do is use the "command" key sequences to switch between my, hers, and shared vaults.
    Also, is it possible to drag and drop logins from one vault to another?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@rej1944 - Thanks for the clarification. I've shot you a quick email to the address you used to register for this forum; I'd like to continue the conversation that way, instead of posting details of your account and vaults on this public forum. I'd like to ask you to create a diagnostics report from your Mac:

https://support.1password.com/diagnostics/?mac
    I'd like to ask you to create some diagnostics reports, one from each of your devices; your and your wife's.

—Mac—
    https://support.1password.com/diagnostics/?mac

Please add the following code (including the square brackets) to the Subject line of your diagnostics email before sending it:

[#WQG-79695-223]

This will link your diagnostics to our current discussion. We'll take a look and let you know what we find out.

For anyone else reading, please note: this ID is for @rej1944 only. If you’re experiencing the same issue and need help, please ask us for your own ID.

This discussion has been closed.