wlan sync ports

jetboy
jetboy
Community Member

Can I find out which ports need to be open to use WLAN syncing between MacOS and iOS? I'm getting timeout errors and want to check if firewall rules on my internal router might be blocking the traffic.

1Password Version: 1Password for Mac 6.8.6, iPassword for iOS 6.9.1
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS X 10.13, iOS 10
Sync Type: WLAN
Referrer: forum-search:wlan sync time out

Comments

• jetboy
    jetboy
    Community Member

Now that I think about it, the traffic wouldn't go through a router and hence wouldn't be blocked by rules, unless there's something running by default that I don't know about on either device.

• Hi @jetboy,

The WLAN server cannot work across subsets, so if a router is involved it isn’t going to work. The devices need to be on the same subnet (behind the same router). The best I could suggest here would be to run through the WLAN server troubleshooting guide, which is a collection of all of the troubleshooting steps we’ve amassed over the years:

If you're having trouble using the WLAN server

I hope that helps!

Ben

• jetboy
    jetboy
    Community Member
    edited February 2018

There are no subnets involved; both the Mac and the iOS device are on the same Wi-Fi network, and there is only one Wi-Fi network. (There is a router which gets involved when devices on the Wi-Fi network want to communicate with a server, or go outside.). I've been through the troubleshooting tips you linked to, which boil down to: (1) restart everything, (2) use 1Password cloud services. I'd be happy to try other things. I'd prefer not to sync my data with any cloud service.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@jetboy - i wouldn't say that's all the troubleshooting documentation does -- you should also make sure your router and any switches are updated in terms of firmware, and several other steps...all of them contained within that document. Unfortunately, we have very limited ability to troubleshoot individual users' network setups because there are so many variables involved that outside of some general information and experience of issues past, we'd almost have to be in the same location as you to effectively troubleshoot.

• jetboy
    jetboy
    Community Member

I understand this isn't a feature you want to get into troubleshooting, since in most cases it would be quite time intensive. I also wasn't trying to say that that was all the document said, but it is the essence of it (hence my "boils down" phrase).

In my case, I'm an engineer and and happy to dig into stuff on my own, if I knew what to look for. Is there a writeup of how the WLAN synchronization operates technically? If so, I could try and dig into the issue a lot more. I don't actually have a Wi-Fi router, I have a Wi-Fi AP that's connected to a port on my router, but as I understand it, the traffic between the iOS devices and the Mac shouldn't hit the router since both are Wi-Fi clients on the same network.

• Ben
    Ben
    edited February 2018

@jetboy

We do not have a document that describes what you’re requesting. What were the results of the ad-hoc portion of the troubleshooting guide for you? That step is there to rule in or out your local network as the source of the problem.

Ben

• jetboy
    jetboy
    Community Member

Hi @Ben

Great news -- the WLAN sync just now worked!

Previously, it kept getting a timeout (the iOS device saw the Mac but then timed out connecting).

Thanks for your help.

• Glad to hear you were able to get it working. :) If we can be of further assistance, please don’t hesitate to contact us.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.