Beta won't update beyond version 7.0.510

cbortz
cbortz
Community Member
edited April 2023 in 1Password 7 for Windows

I see in the Changelog that there are two newer versions (7.0.511.BETA-511 and 7.0.514.BETA-514), but as you can see from my settings above, they aren't being detected. Also, I don't have the Update Channel available to me. To be more specific, the drop-down isn't populated with any data.

Thoughts? How can I get this fixed?

1Password Version: 7.0.510
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 10 Home 64bit Version 1709 Build 16299.192
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• SergeyTheAgile
    edited February 2018

@cbortz thanks for letting us know, this is definitely not what we expect. Can you tell me what update channel is selected in your %localappdata%\1Password\data\user.json file? It should have something like this at the top:

"update": {
        "updateChannel": "beta"
      },

Direct link to build 514
    https://cache.agilebits.com/dist/1P/win6/1PasswordSetup-7.0.514.exe

Thanks,
    Serg

P.S. I've moved this thread to Windows Beta forum

• cbortz
    cbortz
    Community Member

@SergeyTheAgile Thanks for the response and link!

Can you tell me what update channel is selected in your %localappdata%\1Password\data\user.json file?

Sure thing, here are all the (seemingly) safe attributes from the JSON file:

{
      "display": {
        "sortBy": "Created",
        "showDocumentPreview": true,
        "category": "001"
      },
      "update": {
        "updateChannel": "beta"
      },
      "browser": {
        "autoSubmit": false
      },
      "passwordGenerator": {
         // REDACTED for the support forums
      },
      "windows": {
         // REDACTED for the support forums
      }
    }

There's also another property named windows that I've intentionally left out because I'm not sure how some of these properties/values are used (i.e. I'm not sure if they're safe to post for security reasons)

I should also note that I use BitDefender and encountered an issue that was surfaced yesterday on these forums: Bitdefender consider 1Password as a malware [False positive, report it to BitDefender].

I had to wrestle with my settings to get the beta version to stick. Please let me know what other information I can provide you with!

Side note: Thank you for supporting Markdown!

• @cbortz thanks, that file is in fact safe and it's used to store your user settings (non-secret ones), like window positions for different monitor setups or defaults/last used inputs to password generator (like "generate 5 word password", but not password itself).Please send Diagnostics Report with link to this thread, so we can look into reasons. I suspect that attempt to check for updates is failing due to network reasons, that would explain empty list for update channel.

• cbortz
    cbortz
    Community Member

@SergeyTheAgile Thanks for the explanation. The Diagnostics Report has been delivered!

• Thanks, found it and replied.

• I’ve seen this behavior just tonight but slightly altereded. I had to restore my pc, downloaded latest 6.8. Selected beta channel to jump up. Was prompted to install 7.0.510, not 518. When I went to check for an update, channel drop down was empty. Eventually, it saw the later upgrade, channel selector jumped to beta (during a screen refresh) and then I was able to install 518.p, two step update.

• Just an update, also had to re-restore that same pc, and this time it jumped to 507, then 518. Got a diagnostic when it was showing 507 if you want it (lemme know). Same procedure, downloaded 1Password for Windows 6.8 latest, installed, signed in, added beta channel details.

• Hi @AlwaysSortaCurious,

Thanks for letting us know.

That is all working correctly; 6.8 with beta update enabled is supposed to always show 7.0.507, it is a mandated update in order to migrate the 1Password app to the new update-checker that 1Password 7 will be using.

Only the 1Password 7 apps can find the later updates, HockeyApp is not used anymore in 1Password 7.

This discussion has been closed.