To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

Upgrading software versions Mac

Options
alistairmck
alistairmck
Community Member
edited February 2018 in Memberships

hi, I've got the latest version of 1password software installed on my Mac, just wondering, when 1password version 7 get released what is the normal upgrade procedure? is it a complete uninstall of version 6 then install version 7 or will version 7 ovewrite the version 6 on my Mac? I know person 7 is not released yet, but would a bit of an idea of what to do before 7 gets released.

thanks in advance

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@alistairmck - good for you for planning ahead! The most important things to do would be: if you're using 1Password as a standalone app, make sure you have a backup made (either manual or most-recent auto-backup in Preferences > Backups. You might even want to click Show Files there and copy the most-recent backup out to your desktop, just in case (although this wouldn't be necessary except in a true emergency). If you're using a 1password.com account, you needn't worry about your data, as everything - including iterative backups - is stored securely on the 1password.com servers.

The more-specific answer to your question depends in part on whether your copy of 1Password for Mac is from the Mac App Store or directly from us. In general, Mac App Store applications are just updated directly from Apple. Sometimes there's an additional or new in-app purchase for various items or features, but for example, we've been updating 1Password in the Mac App Store ever since its first introduction without a new version number or SKU. I can't promise it will stay that way, but that's the way it's been up until now.

In our own AgileBits store, things have been a little different: when you download 1Password from us, whether you perform an entirely new install or an in-app update (even if it's a full version upgrade) depends a lot on how much has changed internally from the old version to the new. For the version 3 to version 4 upgrade, it was an entirely new app which required a complete install from the full zip file, then uninstallation of version 3. By contrast, the upgrade from 5.x to 6.0 was all done as an in-app update.

If you're getting the feeling that the short answer is: "I'm not entirely sure," well, you may be on to something. ;) Wish I could be more help, but it's a little too early to say for certain. Thanks for the question, though!

• alistairmck
    alistairmck
    Community Member
    Options

hi, thanks for your quick reply, I'm on a 1password individual annual subscription, ok, this gives me a better idea what to do. have you got any timeframe when 1password 7 will be released?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@alistairmck

have you got any timeframe when 1password 7 will be released?

Ah, that's the big question, isn't it? Unfortunately, people around here will be very unhappy with me if I start making release date promises. ;)

In all seriousness, though, I can't tell you when 1Password 7 will be out because at this point we really don't know. We prefer to release new versions when they're truly ready, instead of to hit an arbitrary release date that was created in the past. I can tell you it won't be too much longer, and I can tell you that when it's really ready, we'll definitely be announcing it - here, in our email newsletter, and on our AgileBits blog, as well as on Twitter and Facebook -- heck, this release has been anticipated internally for long enough we'll probably use smoke signals, too! In short: you won't miss the announcement. :) But until then, too many factors go into our ability to release even regular updates, let alone something as large as a full new version, so we try to avoid promising release dates and then discovering later we're going to be unable to meet them. That way, we're not breaking commitments or disappointing any of our awesome users.

This discussion has been closed.