Have 1password via work, now want to add family - can I share my work account into a family account?

Options
anders_brunoson
anders_brunoson
Community Member

Through work I have started using 1password and I am now hooked. My wife needs a password manager and I am thinking about creating a family account. Is it possible to share my private vault from the work account into a family account? Would be nice if there could be only one "me" in your database and I could have my private vault show up both in my work account and in my family account.

Is it possible? If not, what would be your suggestion?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:Have 1password via work, now want to add family -can I share my work account into a family account?

Comments

• Hi @anders_brunoson,

That's a great question. The short of it is that we recommend a completely isolated 1Password Families account. This might seem like a suboptimal solution, but let me explain why it's better this way.

As an AgileBits employee, I have a 1Password Teams account through work, just like you. In this account, I have my Personal vault where I can store all of my data that I don't want shared with anyone. There's technically nothing stopping me from putting in some very personal credentials in there, like say my twitter login, which isn't work related at all. But I don't. Instead I have a 1Password Families account that I share with my wife. With the 1Password Families account I get another Personal vault, and it's in this vault that I store stuff like my twitter credentials, personal email credentials, etc...

The reason for this, is that access to my 1Password Teams vaults is conditional on my being employed by AgileBits. I'm pretty sure that I'll be employed here for a long while (I really really like my job), but technically AgileBits has the right to terminate my employment here, and when they do so, they'll likely suspend and/or delete my user account on the company 1Password Teams account. It would crush me if I suddenly lost access to all of these things that weren't related to my job.

All of our apps support adding multiple accounts. I currently have 4 accounts added to 1Password for Mac and could add more if need be. By doing that, you get nearly all of the benefits of a unified/single user account without needing to take chances with your data.

Does that make sense?

Rick

This discussion has been closed.