If I sign up for 1Password Family, can I share vaults with another 1Password Family user?

pparmley
pparmley
Community Member

My parents are 1Password Family users and have given me access to some of their vaults as well as a personal vault for me. I would like manage several vaults of my own, but also would like to be able to see/use their vaults. Before I sign up for 1Password Family for myself, I was hoping someone could tell me if this is possible.

Thank you!
Paul

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 10
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:If I sign up with 1Password Family, can I share vaults with another 1Password Family user?

Comments

• Hi Paul ( @pparmley ),

Sharing across 1Password Families memberships is not possible. Sharing can only, currently, happen within a membership. So if you and your parents all have accounts within the same 1Password Families membership you can share vaults amongst you. If you were to have your own 1Password Families membership, separate from theirs, you would not.

That said you can have accounts within multiple memberships. So for example if you wanted to have a 1Password Families membership that you share with your parents so that you can help them manage their data, and then have a separate 1Password Families membership that you share with your spouse and children but NOT your parents, you could do that. You can be signed into accounts from both of those memberships simultaneously from our native apps.

Does that answer your question? Please let us know. :)

Thanks!

Ben

• pparmley
    pparmley
    Community Member

So if I understand correctly, if I create my own Families membership, then I can be logged into both my Families membership and my parent's Families membership at the same time (on the Windows desktop app). And, they can share whatever vaults with me on my account with their membership and I can share whatever vaults with them, if they want to be a member of my Families membership as well. And it should all work seamlessly. Does that sound right?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@pparmley: Correct. You can invite them to your 1Password Families plan, and they can invite you to theirs. You'll have an account for each, and then access to any vaults that are part of that (for example a Shared vault for each family). You can also each make each other Organizers if you wish so that you can help each other recover your account if needed. This is what I'm doing with my parents, so let me know if you have any other questions. :)

• pparmley
    pparmley
    Community Member

Thank you! This works great. I can access my own vaults as well as my parent's vaults that they have shared with me.

One more question. I had linked an old 1Password4 vault to the 1Password6 app, but have now imported that old vault into my Families account. How do I unlink the old 1Password4 vault as it is still showing?

• @pparmley,

Are the only vaults that you want to keep part of 1Password.com accounts? If so you can select 1Password > Preferences > Advanced > Uncheck the option to allow creation of vaults outside 1Password.com accounts.

If you have other non-1Password.com vaults you want to keep then switch to the vault that you want to delete using the vault switcher (upper left corner of the interface) and then select File > Delete Vault.

I hope that helps!

Ben

• pparmley
    pparmley
    Community Member

I think I'm a little confused. If you are saying to make these change in the 1Password windows app, I cannot find "preferences". Under the 1Password menu in the app, I have "Settings" then I can select "Advanced" but I don't have a "allow creation of vaults outside 1Password.con" option to un-check. Can you give me a little more guidance on where to find these options? And to answer your questions, I will only be using the 1Password.com vaults.

• @pparmley Sorry about the confusion. Preferences is only in the Mac app. In 1Password for Windows, it's called Settings. You shouldn't see an old vault in the app, though, since it just imports your data instead of adding the vault. What is the name of the vault that you see? When following our migration guide, a vault shouldn't be added to the app, but rather imported directly to your account.

• pparmley
    pparmley
    Community Member

In the 1Password app, under All Vaults I have 3 "folders" showing (with the little flag icon). One is my parents Family account, one is my Family account, and one just named Folder). Under Folder is "paulsvault" which is my old 1Password file from my PC that I want to remove since I now use 1Password Families. I'm pretty sure I added it at some point because I my parents went to 1Password Families but I still had my vault on my PC. I was never able to change "paulsvault" through the new app, but at least I could use the vault. Now I just want to remove it since I am now with 1Password Families and have since imported my old vault to 1Password Families. I am happy to send screen prints if you'd like to email me directly. There is no place under settings that I can see to remove or unselect the old vault that is showing. Thanks for your help with this.

• @pparmley: Back in the day, you actually could open standalone vaults in 1Password 6 for Windows as that was how we imported them at first -- add the old vault and move stuff over. To get rid of that dusty old vault, you'll want to reset your Windows app. This will bring you back to the beginning as though you've never used 1Password before. Sign in to both your account and your parents' account again and you'll be good to go. One possible pitfall here -- the app will unlock with the Master Password for the account you add first, so if these accounts have different Master Passwords, make sure you add them in the proper order to unlock with the Master Password you want to avoid future frustration. :chuffed:

• pparmley
    pparmley
    Community Member

Thank you! This worked in removing the "dusty old" 1Password 4 vault from my list of vaults - now I can delete it and clean the 1Password4 off my computer. Also, thank you for the tip on how to tell the app which of the passwords I wanted to use as the Master Password, that was useful.

• Great to hear that was useful. :)

Rick

This discussion has been closed.