Standalone vault creation

Options
mishtamesh
mishtamesh
Community Member

How can a member of a family subscription (but not an administrator) create a Standalone Vault?

1Password Version: 6.8.6
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Mac OS 10.13.3
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @mishtamesh,

Just so that I make sure that we're answering the question you're asking, and not the question that we think you're asking, can you tell us what you're trying to accomplish? What aspects of a standalone vault are you looking for?

Rick

• mishtamesh
    mishtamesh
    Community Member
    Options

Actually, to be more precise, the issue is this: A family member (not an "Family Organizer") wants to create a new vault (online or standalone) that only he or she has access to. The "New Vault" option is greyed out. Is this by design? Am I missing something?

• Ben
    Ben
    edited February 2018
    Options

Yes, it is by design. On accounts created prior to a certain date only Family Organizers could create vaults. There are a few options:

• The Family Organizer can create a vault for this person, and give only them access to it
    • The person can sign up for a separate individual 1Password membership, in which they can create any number of vaults they like
    • The person can be made a Family Organizer so that they can create their own vault(s)
    • You could sign up for a new 1Password Families membership, in which any family member would be able to create vaults, and migrate everyone over. This may be more work than it is worth, but I was just reminded that this would be a possible option and so I wanted to let you know about it.
    • The 1Password > Preferences > Advanced > Allow creation of vaults outside 1Password.com accounts option can be enabled (1Password for Mac) which will create a standalone Primary vault which is only stored on the device that it is created on and is not associated with a 1Password.com account. Special care should be taken to make sure this vault is backed up. Recovery of the Master Password for this vault will not be possible if it is forgotten. Also 1Password will unlock with the Master Password of the Primary vault, instead of the 1Password.com account password. This option being listed last is intentional. It is probably the least desirable option, as you lose all of the benefits of 1Password.com with this vault. :)

I hope that helps!

Ben

This discussion has been closed.