I started a family subscription, then lost my master-password, but my family uses it. Please help.

Options
dansowter
dansowter
Community Member

Hello,

I use the original 1Password non-subscription app and the Teams product day-to-day, but in late 2016 I bought a family subscription for my mother-in-law to use. She does, daily.

Embarrassingly, I just realised I don't know the master password I used when I set up the new subscription. I know you can't reset that password, which is fine - my personal vault on the family account has no contents.

Can you, however, promote my mother in law (Wendy) to be the primary account owner, so she can remove my user / reset my vault?

Thanks,

Dan

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @dansowter,

I'm sorry to hear that this happened. Unfortunately we can't promote your mother in law's account. The ability to recover other accounts is actually done via encryption and since we don't have the keys, we aren't able to give them to your mother in law.

Sadly it looks like you'll need to create a new 1Password Families account, and help your mother in law migrate her data from one account to the other. Do you need specific instructions for how you would go about doing this? If so we can help with that.

Rick

• dansowter
    dansowter
    Community Member
    Options

Bummer, but thanks for answering. I'm happy enough setting up another account and helping them migrate.

I presume that when I've completed this (at some point, probably months from now) I'll be able to ask for assistance to cancel the account? Wouldn't be keen to keep paying indefinitely for something I can't access. :-)

• Ben
    Options

Yes, we can definitely help with that. When the time comes please email us at support@1password.com from the email address associated with your account, and we’ll get you squared away.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.