iPad - have to unlock every time we open the app

Options
Backspaze
Backspaze
Community Member

On my mother's iPad Air she has to enter the master password (MP) every time she opens the app. As you can imagine from the examples below this makes her open 1PW on her iPhone or PC instead which is quite counterintuitive.

• If she presses the home button to go to the home screen and open the app again (either from the home screen or the app switcher) she has to enter the MP
  • If she brings up "1PW Mini" in a browser she has to enter the PW to get the user name of an item, and once that's pasted on the web page she brings up "1PW Mini" to get the password and has to unlock again...
  • Double clicking the home button, closing the app in the app switcher and then opening it again of course causes the same behavior

She runs iOS 11 and 1PW 7 with all the latest updates and it's been this way since a couple of versions back.

We've tried just about everything there is:

• Verified the auto-lock and various other settings, changing around to make sure it sticks
  • Logging out/in to the Families-account
  • Went in to Settings > Advanced > Erase all 1Password data
  • Removing the app and reinstall from the App store
  • Several reboots/complete shutdowns of the iPad in between and after the points above

One thing that really bothers me is that even after erasing all 1PW data and uninstalling the app it still somehow finds the Families account that was previously used, when starting up again after a reinstall. Shouldn't that info be wiped from the device after that and you should just be met by clean fresh install as though nothing 1PW related had ever been installed before? You can also choose the option of signing in to another account, which I did just to test but it made no difference.

As far as I can tell the only option left is to wipe the entire iPad and either restore from the iCloud backup or configure it as a new device. As you can imagine I'm no fan of either option as seems like a lot of work just because one (although very important) app is failing.

Here's hoping you've got a nice trick up your sleeve to get this one back on track.

1Password Version: 7
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: iOS 11
Sync Type: Families

Comments

• Ben
    Options

Hi @Backspaze

One thing that really bothers me is that even after erasing all 1PW data and uninstalling the app it still somehow finds the Families account that was previously used, when starting up again after a reinstall. Shouldn't that info be wiped from the device after that and you should just be met by clean fresh install as though nothing 1PW related had ever been installed before? You can also choose the option of signing in to another account, which I did just to test but it made no difference.

This is normal and expected. If you have iCloud Keychain your account details, sans Master Password, will be stored there so that signing in on a new or replacement device is a breeze.

As far as I can tell the only option left is to wipe the entire iPad and either restore from the iCloud backup or configure it as a new device. As you can imagine I'm no fan of either option as seems like a lot of work just because one (although very important) app is failing.

Before you go down that road I’d like to take a look at what is happening under the hood. To do so I'd like to ask you to create a diagnostics report from the iPad Air:

Sending Diagnostics Reports (iOS)

Attach the diagnostics to an email message addressed to support+forum@agilebits.com.

With your email please include:

• A link to this thread: https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/86554/
    • Your forum username: Backspaze

That way we can "connect the dots" when we see your diagnostics in our inbox.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number.  Please post that number here so we can track down the diagnostics and ensure that this issue is dealt with quickly. :)

Once we see the diagnostics we'll be able to better assist you. Thanks very much!

Ben

• Backspaze
    Backspaze
    Community Member
    Options

We've now sent the diagnostic report to support+forum@agilebits.com with forum references according to your instructions. The Support ID number is: RRC-46995-384.

• oliverdunk
    edited February 2018
    Options

Hi @Backspaze,

I've just replied to your email.

I am looking forward to helping you out with this, and am hopeful that we can find a solution soon.

ref: RRC-46995-384

• Backspaze
    Backspaze
    Community Member
    Options

@Ben and @oliverdunk

TL;DR Yes the Lock on Exit setting was enabled. It's disabled now but it's still not working. See the very elaborate description below.

I prefer the forum so I'll post here unless you want to handle this issue via mail. The diagnostics report was sent from my mother's email and you can send further test instructions to her that way and/or post them here, it doesn't really matter.

Just to clarify a bit on the quote below.

We've tried just about everything there is:

• Verified the auto-lock and various other settings, changing around to make sure it sticks

The part about making sure that it sticks is about the two auto-lock settings:

• Lock on Exit: 1Password will lock when you leave the app or lock your device.
    • Auto-lock: 1Password will lock after the specified amount of time has elapsed.

The Lock on Exit setting didn't stick when leaving the app. We turned it off and when we switched to another and back to 1PW again we had to unlock it and when checking the settings the Lock on Exit setting was enabled again...Just to make sure that the Auto-lock wasn't somehow interfering I set it to 1 hour and eventually turned it off but it didn't make a difference, but at least that setting was saved. This is the reason why after maaaany tries getting it to stick I decided to remove the app and reinstall it.

So anyway, back to today's troubleshooting.

• We opened the main 1PW app from the home screen, unlocked it and disabled the Lock on Exit setting, and this time that setting was saved. Progress! (but it wouldn't surprise me if that setting somehow is enabled again the next time we check...)
    • Again just to make sure that the Auto-lock wasn't somehow interfering we set it to 30 min (could've disabled it, but yeah...)
    • Switching to another app, either via the home screen or app switcher, and back to 1PW seemed to work fine but...
    • If you close the app from the app switcher and open it again it's locked and you have to enter the MP.
    • On both our iPhone handsets we have the same settings: Lock on Exit: Disabled, Auto-lock: 10 min. Doing anything of the examples above and below causes no issues on the phones. Even if you force close the app from the app switcher it still opens up in an unlocked state since the 10 min auto-lock limit hadn't been reached.
    • Back on the iPad; unlocked the main app and switched to Safari and Chrome.
    • Brought up the extension and the app asks for the MP even though the main app was just unlocked.
    • Switching back to the main app and we can confirm that it's also locked but...
    • If you unlock the app from the extension in Safari or Chrome, the main app will also be unlocked.
    • Opening 1PW, unlocking it, and then opening 10 other apps in a row without interacting with 1PW in between and then going back to 1PW causes it to ask for the MP. This was done in well under five minutes so the auto-lock setting shouldn't have kicked in since it was set to 30 min.

I might have missed something else we tried but the list above is getting quite long already so I'll leave it at that for now.

Any ideas on what to try next?

• Ben
    Options

The extension will require the Master Password every time unless Quick Unlock is enabled and Lock on Exit is disabled. It doesn’t look like this iPad has Touch ID support, so the only option for Quick Unlock would be a PIN.

Please try enabling a PIN for 1Password and let me know if that improves the experience. :)

Thanks.

Ben

• Backspaze
    Backspaze
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks, We'll try this as soon as possible and get back to you.

• Ben
    Options

Great. :)

Ben

• Backspaze
    Backspaze
    Community Member
    Options

Well my mom ran some test and it seems to be working now so she's happy, thank you very much for the great support as always!

Meanwhile, I still have a few questions I would like to have clarified and a suggestion regarding the info text in the settings.

Right now if I disable Touch ID it says that my MP will be required after the app has hasn't been used for 10 minutes (my auto-lock time). Beneath that text is another message stating that if I activate Touch ID my MP will be stored in the iOS keychain. There's no mention about the extension always requiring the MP if you don't enable Quick Unlock/Touch ID/PIN. My suggestion would be to add some short snippet about this in or below the dynamic text that changes while you enable/disable the different settings.

I'm guessing the extension works the way it works because of how iOS works? You have to store the MP in the key chain to be able to access the extension without having to enter the MP as it's simply not functioning the same way as 1PW and 1PW Mini/Browser add-on does on Windows.

I'm also guessing the reason why we had to unlock with the MP after opening 10 other apps and then opening 1PW again (without hitting the time limit for the auto-lock) had to do with the 10 apps pushing 1PW out of the memory for open apps so it more or less behaved as though we were opening it again after closing it.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Well my mom ran some test and it seems to be working now so she's happy, thank you very much for the great support as always!

@Backspaze: Thanks for the update! Glad to hear that all is well. :)

Meanwhile, I still have a few questions I would like to have clarified and a suggestion regarding the info text in the settings. Right now if I disable Touch ID it says that my MP will be required after the app has hasn't been used for 10 minutes (my auto-lock time). Beneath that text is another message stating that if I activate Touch ID my MP will be stored in the iOS keychain. There's no mention about the extension always requiring the MP if you don't enable Quick Unlock/Touch ID/PIN. My suggestion would be to add some short snippet about this in or below the dynamic text that changes while you enable/disable the different settings.

I'm not sure that makes sense as the Master Password is always needed, even if you can use a quick unlock option temporarily in some cases. It's something we can consider though.

I'm guessing the extension works the way it works because of how iOS works? You have to store the MP in the key chain to be able to access the extension without having to enter the MP as it's simply not functioning the same way as 1PW and 1PW Mini/Browser add-on does on Windows.

I'm not sure I follow. Your 1Password data is encrypted using your Master Password, so your Master Password is needed to decrypt it. This is the same across all platforms, even if the timing and mechanisms differ with regard to how often the Master Password is requested (and much of this depends on the settings you choose).

I'm also guessing the reason why we had to unlock with the MP after opening 10 other apps and then opening 1PW again (without hitting the time limit for the auto-lock) had to do with the 10 apps pushing 1PW out of the memory for open apps so it more or less behaved as though we were opening it again after closing it.

Nope. The Master Password token is stored in the iOS Keychain, outside of 1Password, so you can actually kill 1Password completely after unlocking it, and if you launch it again immediately you can unlock without the Master Password if you have it configured to allow that. But again, it depends on the settings you choose. I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

This discussion has been closed.