Feature request: Anchor the little window on-screen

Options

Feature request: Anchor the little window on-screen in the fashion of the current regular 1Password browser extension.

1Password Version: 6.8.6
Extension Version: 1.5.1
OS Version: 10.12.6
Sync Type: 1Password.com

Comments

• beyer
    beyer
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hello again, @Noffica!

I'd love to have this as well! It's quite tricky because Google Chrome doesn't allow us to keep a popup window open when the user clicks away. There are some other possible ways we could open popup windows, but these wouldn't stay above all other windows as you see with the 1Password extension. With that extension, we can accomplish this by having a native application installed on the computer and having it render the window you see. In the future, we do have plans to add features like that to 1Password X, but I can't guarantee when you'll start seeing them rolled out.

Based on the OS Version you indicated, I'm guessing you use macOS. One option would be to activate and use 1Password mini (if you have 1Password for Mac installed) from the OS menubar when you want to anchor an item.

I hope that helps! Thanks again for all your feedback!

-Beyer

• Noffica
    Noffica
    Community Member
    Options

If the 1PasswordX extension can itself trigger the Mini then that would be fine. If itโ€™s only the Mini that can anchor a window then would it automatically detect the website loaded in the browser?

• beyer
    beyer
    1Password Alumni
    edited February 2018
    Options

I believe I understand your question, but please let me know if this isn't what you're asking.

Yes, if 1Password X were able to communicate with a natively installed 1Password application, we could then pass information like which browser tab (with website URL) the users are on. We would also have the ability to do more advanced window operations like item details that are anchored (above all other windows). Additionally, for our Mac and Windows users, we could support unlocking with systems like Touch ID and Windows Hello.

This all sounds pretty cool, so it'd be pretty silly for us not to head down that path if you know what I mean. ๐Ÿ˜‰

We have quite a few priorities we feel need to come first. ๐Ÿ˜ƒOne big ticket item is a fully redesigned Strong Password Generator (SPG) that has (in my mind) a perfect balance between beauty, easy of use, and functionality. ๐ŸŽŠ

-Beyer

This discussion has been closed.