How does my family member log in to the family vault if they already have a personal account?

Options
philipbe
philipbe
Community Member

She followed the link from the invitation, signed up. I can see that she has access and is a 'member' but when she goes to join the account.
Which secret key does she need? Is it mine/her original one? etc.
It's so ridiculously confusing this whole thing.
When she clicks on the emergency kit link in the email it just takes her through to the login screen. We have tried her secret key and mine. None work. We don't get this at all and wished we had the old version of 1P which worked absolutely fine for 6 years.

1Password Version: 6.8.496
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 10
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited February 2018
    Options

@philipbe: Thanks for reaching out. I’m sorry for the confusion! As with "the old version", the correct information is necessary to access 1Password. Definitely don't share your Secret Key with anyone. When she signed up, she'll have gotten her own Secret Key. Where did she originally setup her account? She won't need to enter the Secret Key to sign in there, only the Master Password. That will allow her to get her account details and save her Emergency Kit. Let me know what you find!

ref: IZJ-98185-113

• philipbe
    philipbe
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks Brenty. I have asked Beck to sign up to this channel so that she can go through it with you. She's just picking up kids...she'll be in touch shortly. She is definitely asked for her secret key. and the 'Master Password' is that her password or one that is specific to that vault (that's how it was previously).

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@philipbe: To be clear, while she will definitely be asked for her Secret Key, the Master Password required will be the one she setup for her account when she created it. It sounds like she may have been using 1Password prior to that, and perhaps had a different Master Password for a vault she was using. Unless she set the same Master Password for both, she'll need to enter the correct one.

• philipbe
    philipbe
    Community Member
    Options

OK. Have forward this on to her. We have the same issue with my wife but let's sort it out for Becky first. Thank you. Yes she has a personal account. Ideally that would just be folded into the family account.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@philipbe - sounds good; we'll look forward to her post. One thing you might want to clarify, both for yourself and for her: There are currently two ways to use 1Password:

As a standalone product:

• You purchase licenses for each platform separately.
    • These licenses include all in-version updates, but a major version upgrade (such as 1Password 7) may require a paid upgrade.
    • You choose how to sync your data. You can set up sync using a third party service (like Dropbox or iCloud.) If you do not set up sync, your data will remain on your device.

With a 1Password account:

• You sign up for an account at 1Password.com.
    • Your subscription includes the 1Password apps across all platforms, with all updates and upgrades for as long as your account is active.
    • Once you sign in to your account in 1Password on a new device, all of your data is instantly available - no need to set up third-party sync.

1Password accounts also include access to your data via a web browser, and per-item backups so you always have a safe copy of your data off of your devices, and can roll back to a previous version of an item if a change is accidentally made.

If she had previously been using 1Password ("for 6 years"), then that predates 1password.com accounts. If she has only used 1Password in the same way since back then, that means she's been using 1Password as a standalone app, with local data.

• becky_hull
    becky_hull
    Community Member
    edited February 2018
    Options

I have only registered with 1password since December on Philip's recommendation and I have the account as opposed to the standalone product.
    When I go to log into the family vault using my own secret key and my own master password this come up "Cannot sign in. The email address and Secret Key are not correct for [removed by AgileBits; this is a public forum] Get help."

• becky_hull
    becky_hull
    Community Member
    Options

I know these details are correct because they get me into my personal account.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Welcome to the forum, @becky_hull! I hope you don't mind; I edited your post to remove the personally-identifying information about your 1Password Families account URL. This is a public forum, and those types of details are best kept private.

I know these details are correct because they get me into my personal account.

Can you tell us a bit more about what this means? When you signed up for your 1Password account, how was that done -- did you receive an invitation from Philip? Or did you visit the main 1Password sign-up page and sign up for your own personal account? These would be two different accounts, completely separate from one another. If you did both of these things, you may have two accounts; a personal one and a 1Password Families account. And you may have used the same Master Password when you created both, but that does not mean they're interchangeable or that one will get you into the other. If this is the case, each account will have a separate Secret Key, because each is a separate account. Is this what might've happened?

To be clear, you do not need both an Individual account AND a 1Password Families account, because your 1Password Families account will come with a Private vault that only you can see/use, for you personal (non-shared) items, which is exactly what the Individual account has - a Personal vault only you can use. The largest difference (other than the sharing capabilities) between the two is that all individual accounts sign in at https://my.1password.com while every 1Password Families account uses its own, user-chosen subdomain, such as the one you initially posted. (example: https://user-chosen-name.1password.com.

My question to you at this point is: did you print out (or save to disk) your Emergency Kit for your 1Password Families account? If so, you should be able to use that to access the account. If you DON'T have that, or you've forgotten your Master Password for the 1Password Families account, then you can have any Family Organizer recover your account.

Beyond that, since the Individual account would be redundant if you have a 1Password Families account as well, I would recommend closing the Individual account to keep costs down. If you have data inside it, you can move it from the Individual account to the 1Password Families account, then close the Individual account.

• becky_hull
    becky_hull
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Lars, Thank you for this. I have found the separate key and have now been able to log in.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@becky_hull -- great! Glad to hear you were able to sign into your 1Password Families account. I'd still recommend you close your Individual account and remove it from 1Password for Mac (after transferring the data, of course), to avoid confusion and keep from getting billed for an unneeded account.

This discussion has been closed.