multiple keychains not working

I've been using 1password 2 on snow leopard up until upgrading to safari 5 yesterday. The reason I haven't yet switched to v3 is that it handles multiple keychains much worse than v2.

I'll outline my setup so that you understand the problem: I have created a secure keychain for all logins that I deem sensitive and I thus only have to enter one password for all these items and I can easily set it up so that I have to re-enter the password if the computer goes to sleep etc. This is a very flexible setup as it enables me to easily password protect everything from certain applications (including 1password) to encrypted disk images where I store sensitive files.

Now, the problem with 1password 3 is that it doesn't interact properly with the mac keychains and in particular when there are more than just a login keychain. The browser plugin asks for the 1Password password (which is stored in my second keychain so it should really ask for the password to that keychain if it interacted properly with the mac keychain). The 1Password 3 application correctly asks for the keychain password rather than the 1Password password on launch but upon login in it automatically saves the password to the login keychain (that's clearly not a good thing as it enables access to all my 1password data upon login and defeats the purpose of having it stored in a separate keychain).

As I mentioned above, 1password 2 handles this properly except for one bug (which also exist in v3) which I have pointed out before in correspondence with the support team: the 1Password browser plugin automatically ask for the keychain password on starting the browser without the user trying to access any items stored in 1password.

I would be sad to have to move on from 1password as I do like the application very much so thought I would make a last appeal to you in the hope that you will finally address these issues. I realise that the average user doesn't use multiple keychains but I believe that there is value for you in creating an application that interacts well with the operating system based on the standards that apple have created.

Comments

• Nik
    Nik
    1Password Alumni
    edited December 1969
    1Password does not support multiple data files at this time. This is something we may look into implementing in the future, but we don't have a timeframe or concrete plans.

I'm sorry I don't have a better answer for you.
  • kingbird82
    edited December 1969
    Thanks for your prompt reply. To clarify though, my question did not relate to 1Password supporting multiple data files but to it properly supporting the OS X built-in keychains for saving the 1password application password. It's not really about features as I see it, but about it interacting properly with the OS. And, as I said above, 1Password 2 handled this better than v3 (although with some bugs as reported above too).

Please let me know if this makes the issue understandable. If not, I would be more than happy to try to explain it further.
  • Nik
    Nik
    1Password Alumni
    edited December 1969
    Ugh, I'm so sorry, I completely misread your post. Comes from falling behind and trying to catch up. Thank you for your patience and taking the time to explain. You're right, we need to figure out what's going on here and get it fixed. We'll perform some tests on our end and I'll bring this thread to our developers' attention.
  • kingbird82
    edited December 1969
    That's great! Thanks a lot for looking into this.
This discussion has been closed.