Afraid of deleting vault

reebs26
reebs26
Community Member

I've been using 1password for forever, always with standalone programs on my mac, iphone, and ipad with all the passwords sync via dropbox. I've just opened a family account and everything seems to have been successfully migrated, but i'm afraid to delete my original vault. Is there a way I can "turn it off" or whatever so that it doesn't show up, but is stored somewhere until I feel good about this family subscription thing?

1Password Version: 6.8.6
Extension Version: 4.6.12.90
OS Version: OSX 10.11.6
Sync Type: Dropbox
Referrer: forum-search:switching to families

Comments

• MaxSiegel
    MaxSiegel
    1Password Alumni

Hi @reebs26, that's a great question. I'm admittedly a bit biased, but 1Password Families has been absolutely rock solid, in my experience, the past two years I've been working here. But you can always hide the original, Primary vault, without deleting it.

To do that: Open and unlock 1Password for Mac, and go to Preferences > All Vaults. Then you can select which vaults to include in the default All Vaults view. Also, be sure that Vault for Saving is set to your newer, Personal vault. :)

The steps to do this on your iPhone and iPad, are pretty much similar to the steps above.

Hope that helps!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@reebs26: Also, even if you delete the Primary vault outright, disable local vaults (Preferences > Advanced), or even reset 1Password, that will not remove 1Password's backup archives. So you can restore from one of those if you decide to go back. Cheers! :)

• reebs26
    reebs26
    Community Member

Thanks guys! This was giving me a stomach ache! : )

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@reebs26 - yeah, change is a little scary, especially when it's your most valuable data you're considering changing -- or at least, the way you store it. But you will always have those older backups in ~/Library/Application Support/1Password 4/Backups. So, experiment away without fear. :)

• rlgleason51
    rlgleason51
    Community Member
    edited February 2018

If I delete my primary vault, how would I recreate it if necessary?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@rlgleason51 - it's important to understand that the suggestions and steps given here are addressed to specific users in specific situations. I would suggest no one take a step like deleting one's own Primary vault without understanding very clearly why they are doing it, what the (potential) risks are, and what specific steps they're taking.

A Primary vault can ONLY be deleted in 1Password for Mac if you are signed into a 1password.com account also; the Primary vault is the very first (default) local vault that is created when you first begin using 1Password in standalone mode. So, if you're running 1Password with only standalone (local) vaults, you can't delete Primary because by definition that would mean you would have no other data in 1Password.

If you ARE using 1Password for Mac with both a Primary vault and a 1password.com account, you can delete it by going to 1Password's Preferences > Advanced the gear icon at the top right of the main Preferences window, then UNchecking the box marked "Allow creation of accounts outside of 1Password vaults."

To re-create a Primary vault once you've done that (if you need or want to do so), you would open Preferences > Backup and choose the most-recent automatic backup made by 1Password, then click "restore."

• rlgleason51
    rlgleason51
    Community Member
    edited February 2018

Thanks. I have held off deleting it fearing it would be difficult to restore if I dropped my 1p.com account. I would like to hide it from my list of vaults when NOT in all vaults view, but that apparently is not possible, unless.....

If my primary vault is empty when I uncheck "Allow creation of accounts outside of 1password vaults", would checking it recreate it?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@rgleason51 - UNchecking that box marked "Allow creation of vaults outside of 1Password accounts" will remove your Primary vault (if it's the only local vault you have). Once you've done that, REchecking it will not restore your old vault, it would create a new, blank Primary vault.

• rlgleason51
    rlgleason51
    Community Member

Great, that's what I needed to know,. Since my primary vault has been 'moved' to my account, it is blank now, so removing it and creating it later (if needed) would not be a problem.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@rlgleason51 - nope! Perfectly fine. Glad we were able to help clarify things for you. :)

This discussion has been closed.