Backup and sync 1Password 7's local vault?

scott_savarese
scott_savarese
Community Member
edited April 2023 in 1Password 7 for Windows

Folks, I'm loving the new version. Thanks for releasing it. But, it looks like I lost the ability to backup my local vault. Specifically, i don't have the ability to sync my local vault to my iPhone anymore (you used to have a wifi sync function), nor do I have a way to backup my local vault to my NAS. I'm not a fan of cloud services so local vaults are the best option for me. Do you have plans for re-enabling those older functions for local vaults?

Maybe the easiest option for backing up the vault to my NAS would be to document where the vaults are stored on the windows filesystem? My best guess is the local appdata directory, but all I see is a sqllite file and it looks like all the vaults are kept together in that one file. Can I simply copy that file off and then if needed import it later using the Import or "Open vault on this PC" functions?

As a side note, is there a particular reason why the vaults aren't in the roaming appdata profile? For business users, the roaming directory is synced across the windows domain so all machines a user logs in to would have a copy of the vault.

1Password Version: 7.0.519
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 10 Pro
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @scott_savarese,

Thanks for writing in.

I'm glad you're loving it so far. Yes, that is the goal of 1Password 7, which will have full support for standalone vaults for the first time since we've started over with a new codebase in 1Password 6 for Windows.

We haven't yet implement the backups support for standalone vaults, that's definitely coming. It is also a part of the reason why standalone vaults are read-only (it can support incoming changes to the said vault) in the first alpha version of 1Password 7. Some form of backups will be ready in time along with the full write support for standalone vaults in order to ensure you can restore to an early backup copy that is created prior to any potential 1Password 7 side effects or bugs that could hit your data.

WLAN is in the plans but nothing is confirmed for now, we're just trying to make sure the standalone vaults are fully completed and tested before we tackle anything else on top of it.

As a side note, is there a particular reason why the vaults aren't in the roaming appdata profile?

You hinted at it, we don't want something that's very private and sensitive roaming without your permission first. The 1Password database is not meant to be shared/synced/copied in its form but rather you should export to a syncing folder to sync between computers or to your roaming directory if you wish.

• MentalPower
    MentalPower
    Community Member

Just to be pedantic. Does this mean that when I create a "local vault" its kept inside of the sqlite file in Local AppData and not in an OPVault-type vault? I'm waiting for either AgileKeychain or OPVault support so that I can ditch my 1P4 installation on my Windows machine. Swapping between the two versions is more than a little annoying, but you already knew that :smile:.

• scott_savarese
    scott_savarese
    Community Member

@MikeT,

It is also a part of the reason why standalone vaults are read-only (it can support incoming changes to the said vault) in the first alpha version of 1Password 7

I'm confused... My standalone vaults are not read-only. I'm able to create a new vault, add stuff to the vault, and edit entries in them. What is read-only about those vaults?

Also, Can I do backups at the filesystem level? Can I just backup the appdata local directory and then if I lose my installation, just copy the appdata local directory back in?

@MentalPower, yes... It looks like the sqllite db is where all local vaults are copied. I've tried creating two local vaults. It appears that they both live in the same DB file. That implies that we can't just split out vaults and move them around. The developers would have to provide functions in the UI that would allow the export and migration of vaults. At least in this version, of course...

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Just to be pedantic. Does this mean that when I create a "local vault" its kept inside of the sqlite file in Local AppData and not in an OPVault-type vault? I'm waiting for either AgileKeychain or OPVault support so that I can ditch my 1P4 installation on my Windows machine. Swapping between the two versions is more than a little annoying, but you already knew that :smile:.

@MentalPower: Correct. AgileKeychain is not coming; OPVault is. We definitely know it sucks to run both 1Password 4 and 6. I think we're looking forward to 7 as much as anyone. ;)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

I'm confused... My standalone vaults are not read-only. I'm able to create a new vault, add stuff to the vault, and edit entries in them. What is read-only about those vaults?

@scott_savarese: Sorry, Mike means as far as syncing. 1Password 6 has no write support for local vaults, but while 1Password 7 can write to them on disk, there is no writing to a sync'd copy — yet.

Also, Can I do backups at the filesystem level? Can I just backup the appdata local directory and then if I lose my installation, just copy the appdata local directory back in?

It's possible, but not ideal, especially since the internal database format may change over time. So 1Password 7 will be getting standard local backup support, and also the capability of writing to external copies as well.

It looks like the sqllite db is where all local vaults are copied. I've tried creating two local vaults. It appears that they both live in the same DB file. That implies that we can't just split out vaults and move them around. The developers would have to provide functions in the UI that would allow the export and migration of vaults. At least in this version, of course...

Exactly. All modern versions of 1Password use an internal database for performance, but we'll be adding support for backups and sync copies as well. Cheers! :)

• MikeT
    edited February 2018

Thanks, @brenty. That's what I meant, read-only was a poor choice of word since you can make changes to your standalone vaults, you just cannot export/sync them to an external vault file yet.

@MentalPower, to expand on Brenty's post, while OPVault is the only supported format going forward, we do plan to support opening AgileKeychain to convert it to OPVault within 1Password 7.

@scott_savarese:

Yes, you can do that but as Brenty mention this is not ideal and we don't recommend it at all. I'll explain why;

First, the 1Password directory contains both the app and data folders, so the app is tuned for the database schema that's in the sqlite file stored in the data directory. The problem is, the sqlite file you back up will be not backward/forward compatible with any given version of 1Password. So, you must be careful to back up both app/data and manually update from within the said app to install 1Password updates in order to perform any database migrations we have to do. Thus it is not ideal as a backup method but it is a great "last resort" method.

The purpose of the upcoming backup feature is to provide a format that is backward/forward compatible, meaning that you can restore the said backup in future or older versions of 1Password that you created the said backup from. So, a backup created in 1Password 7 would work in from 7.0 to 7.99 and maybe future major versions as well.

• edl867
    edl867
    Community Member

Will the new version allow vault syncing between Mac and Windows using Dropbox like we currently do for Mac V6.8.7 and Windows 1Password version 4?

Will that be a paid upgrade for windows?

I will always use local vaults, and I do not ever wish to have a subscription for my password manager, please tell me that isn't going to be required for V7 on Windows.

• MikeT
    edited March 2018

Hi @edl867,

Thanks for writing in.

Will the new version allow vault syncing between Mac and Windows using Dropbox like we currently do for Mac V6.8.7 and Windows 1Password version 4?

Yes, it already does that in latest 1Password 7 for Windows alphas.

Will that be a paid upgrade for windows?

Yes.

I will always use local vaults, and I do not ever wish to have a subscription for my password manager, please tell me that isn't going to be required for V7 on Windows.

1Password 7 for Windows will let you register it either with a license or you can choose the 1Password subscription, which gives you access to all 1Password apps on all platforms including web access to 1Password.com and no separate future upgrade fees either.

Is there a specific reason you wouldn't want 1Password subscription, beside the cost? Note if you don't pay, you don't lose access to 1Password apps nor your data, you just won't be able to make changes, just like a trial without a license.

• edl867
    edl867
    Community Member

I paid for 1Password many times in the past, multiple Macs, multiple IOS devices, Windows, etc... Also I bought it (family and individual) for my whole family.

I feel secure knowing where my data is and do not want to trust it to anyone else. (its not you, its me)

So for those reasons, I do not want to have to pay monthly.

And I do not need the additional / web based functionality.

• Hi @edl867,

Thanks for that, it helps us a lot to know your thoughts.

This discussion has been closed.