IPassword 4 not always completing the log-in

Options

I have been using 1P4 with Firefox for some time now. Recently, and increasingly, I am finding that 1P does not complete the log-in process but stops as if I were using my IPad and requires me, manually, to click the log-in button. It does not do this with all sites but seems to be doing it more and more. Incidentally, this forum site is one where I have manually to force the process. Is there something I can do the rectifiy this?

1Password Version: 4.6.2.626
Extension Version: Firefox 4.6.12.90
OS Version: Windows 10
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi there @Andrew42,

Thank you for getting in touch! :+1:

First of all, could you please open one of the items in question and check what you have enabled in Submit field here?

Is Auto-submit enabled there? Thanks in advance!

Cheers,
    Greg

• Andrew42
    Andrew42
    Community Member
    Options

Yes it is

• Andrew42
    Andrew42
    Community Member
    Options

Done. The support ID# is #YVZ-14368-455

Thanks for the help.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Andrew42: Thanks for checking! From your comments though, it sounds like autosubmit is working, just not on some websites. Unfortunately not everyone follows web standards, so there are some cases where it isn't possible for 1Password to automatically submit the login form for you. But if you'll let me know the URLs where you're running into trouble, I'll be happy to test them to see if I can offer a workaround. 1Password 4 won't be able to advance beyond the capabilities it has already due to its age, but we may also learn something that allows us to improve future versions of 1Password. I look forward to hearing back from you! :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Andrew42: For example, I just tried using 1Password to sign into this discussion forum:

1. Navigated to the sign in page: https://discussions.agilebits.com/entry/signin
    2. Saved a login using 1Password
    3. Closed the tab
    4. Opened the 1Password menu
    5. Selected my new forum login
    6. 1Password opened the login page, filled the credentials, and submitted the form

Are you maybe doing something differently?

• Andrew42
    Andrew42
    Community Member
    Options

This may amuse you:
    https://discussions.agilebits.com/entry/signin?Target=

I use Firefox, selecting the Forum from the icon and have this forum in my 1P favorites. It used to work perfectly and now hangs at the sign-in stage which I manualy have to complete.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Andrew42: Not very amusing! I'm sorry that isn't working for you for some reason. :(

I use Firefox, selecting the Forum from the icon and have this forum in my 1P favorites.

Which version of Firefox are you using? Do you have other extensions/add-ons installed there?

It used to work perfectly and now hangs at the sign-in stage which I manualy have to complete.

By "manually complete", what do you mean exactly? Are you pressing Enter or clicking "Sign In" to submit the login form?

I noticed that Greg asked you to check if you have autosubmit enabled in that Login item...but do you have it enabled in 1Password itself globally?

If not, "If auto-submit is ON" in the item will not apply, and you'll have to submit the form yourself. Let me know what you find!

• Andrew42
    Andrew42
    Community Member
    Options

Auto Submit is "On" in Preferences.
    Firefox Version: Quantum 58.0.2
    As in all cases where this issue is arising, IP fills in the details but I have to click sign-in to complete the process
    I did not always have this problem. It surfaced a few weeks ago and now is affecting ever more or my 1P log-ins.
    I realise that 1P4 is a dead animal as far as upodates are concerned but the future lies in your hands with the release of 1P7 (and standalone). A subscription model in the cloud does not appeal to me.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Andrew42: Thanks for letting me know about the version and that setting. It's definitely odd that it isn't working just on your machine, at least in the one case I can test — this forum. Since you haven't told me of any others though I can't test them. 1Password tries to emulate an Enter keypress to submit login forms. Do you have other apps or extensions which may be interfering?

You may be interested to know that, while it isn't quite ready for standalone use yet, 1Password 7 is already a public alpha. As we add support for syncing local vaults in the coming months you may want to check that out..

• Andrew42
    Andrew42
    Community Member
    Options

Sorry. I forgot to mention that I have no other extensions in Firefox.

Here is another site not working for me: https://www.anylist.com/auth/sign-in?next=/account

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni
    edited February 2018
    Options

Hi @Andrew42,

If you press Ctrl + \ while on https://www.anylist.com/auth/sign-in?next=/account, does 1Password fill your credentials?

ref: YVZ-14368-455

• Andrew42
    Andrew42
    Community Member
    Options

Greg, im not sure I follow you. 1P always fills the credentials. It’s at that point it stops.

• Andrew42
    Andrew42
    Community Member
    Options

Further to your message Greg. I have a Swiss French Keyboard and so Ctrl +\ is a difficult combination to enter because to enter \ I have to hold down the Alt Gr key and select the backslash which is the third option on a key that contains < and >. I am not sure if this queers the system but if I go to Anylist and wipe out the User Name and Password that 1P has populated and then try and press Ctrl + \ all I get is \ in either the user name field or the password field depending where the cursor is.

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @andrew42,

Ctrl + \ is the default shortcut to fill and submit your credentials from 1Password. If you have a different keyboard layout, the shortcut may be different for you. For example: Ctrl + `

If 1Password fills your credentials, but does not submit them, please try to re-create your Login item. Does the issue remain after that? Thank you!

Cheers,
    Greg

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Andrew42: More importantly, you can change the keyboard shortcut from the default in Preferences > Logins. It can definitely get a bit weird between different keyboard layouts and some legacy baggage with Windows handling keyboard scan codes different over the years depending on the version and frameworks being used, but there are a lot of options so you should be able to find one that works on your system.

I think Greg meant that he wanted to see if pressing the keyboard shortcut after it "stops" submits the form. That could tell us more about where things are going wrong.

• Andrew42
    Andrew42
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks Brenty, I have changed the shortcut but it does not force the log-in. I have also followed Greg's instructions and recreated the log-in manually. It also has made no difference.
    Finally, I tried deleting all reference to Agilebuts Forum in 1P and recreated teh log-in from scratch: no difference.
    Any other ideas?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Andrew42: Thanks for letting me know. The only other possible cause than I'm aware of is another app or extension interfering with 1Password trying to submit the form by capturing the keysend. I'll follow up with you via email to get more details.

ref: YVZ-14368-455

• Andrew42
    Andrew42
    Community Member
    Options

OK. I have no other extensions

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Andrew42: Good to know. We'll continue the conversation via email to get more details. Thanks for your patience!

This discussion has been closed.