Difficulty exporting passwords from iCloud Keychain

Options
anima7329
anima7329
Community Member
edited February 2018 in Mac

I'm having trouble following the instructions in the pdf for exporting from iCloud Keychain.

I managed to create a local keychain and copy my passwords from iCloud onto there, but when trying to export them in Terminal it keeps asking for my keychain password, twice for each password I want to export.

There are over 800 passwords in the keychain and I really don't want to have to input my password over 1600 times, but the AppleScript script provided gives an error saying "System Events got an error: Can’t get window 1 of process "SecurityAgent". Invalid index."

Any ideas on how to fix this?

1Password Version: 6.8.7
Extension Version: 4.6.12
OS Version: 10.13.3
Sync Type: iCloud

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Welcome to the forum, @anima7329! What pdf are you referring to?

• anima7329
    anima7329
    Community Member
    Options

@Lars not sure exactly how (i'm not the most tech-savvy person), but i found a bunch of scripts that automate the importing of passwords from different password managers. the pdf is the instructions on how to use those scripts. the folder looks like this:

• anima7329
    anima7329
    Community Member
    Options

@Lars basically what i'm trying to do is automate the process of repeatedly entering my keychain password so i can export all the passwords in my icloud keychain and import them into 1password

• carrera79
    carrera79
    Community Member
    Options

I also had difficulty with keychain export password and iCloud export password.
    also a long list of password.
    when i try to run the script it tell it cannot find window 1 (so cannot push on the Allow button)

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

@anima7329, @carrera79 ,

Sierra and High Sierra have made changes that broke the previous AppleScripts, and they have made exporting via AppleScript very difficult. I'll take a look this weekend to see what I can come up with. Hold tight until I reply here, if you can.

• anima7329
    anima7329
    Community Member
    Options

@MrC thanks! It's a shame Apple is making it so difficult... Just another way of keeping you in their ecosystem I guess

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Unfortunately it sounds like Apple doesn't have anyone in charge of automation any longer, and perhaps it just isn't a priority. I love the other stuff they do, and I have no doubt that some of that wouldn't exist if they had different priorites, but it is a bummer for some of us. :blush:

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

@brenty,

I believe that's correct - Apple is stepping away from this form of automation, and security issues have now trumped retaining backwards compatibility. Applescript has always been an odd duck (I personally don't care for it, as it is fickle, lacks debugging tools, and is a lot of trial and error).

I'd guess the need for accessing the Keychain the way I need to (to export items) is rare, so I don't see this functionality being enhanced any time soon.

cc: @anima7329

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Yeah, I definitely understand the "why", it just sucks to have something and then lose it. :(

• anima7329
    anima7329
    Community Member
    Options

@MrC @brenty damn this is annoying. so there's no solution other than entering my keychain password 1600 times?

• carrera79
    carrera79
    Community Member
    Options

thanks @mrc ;)

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

@anima7329, @carrera79,

I have posted an update to version 1.10 of the converter suite - it is located in Testing Bits mentioned in the first post.

I've greatly enhanced the AppleScript_Conversion_Helper to assist Keychain exports. It now supports driving the entire process as much as possible, and it will walk you through the steps. Please see the Keychain section under the Exporting from your Password Manager section in the README.pdf.

The export / automation process is a bit fragile, and there is likely little more I can do about it.

Let's see if this helps you get your Keychain data into 1Password.

• anima7329
    anima7329
    Community Member
    Options

@MrC it worked! thanks so much! I'm gonna import the file into 1password and start using it now :blush:

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

MrC is awesome! Glad to hear that his converter helped you, well...convert your data. Be sure to reach out if you have any questions about 1Password now or in the future. :)

This discussion has been closed.