1Password mini stopped launching upon booting of my iMac recently

Options

Comments

• Ivan Berka
    Ivan Berka
    Community Member
    Options

Hi, 1Password mini stopped launching upon booting of my iMac recently. My iMac runs macOS X 10.13.3 High Sierra and 1Password is current (6.8.6). I tried above advised process of disabling 1Password mini in the app-quitting app-launchnig app and enabling it mini again-restarting it with no avail. A also ran Disk Utility hoping to repair possible file-permissions related problems. Even this didn’t cure the problem. 1Password mini appears only upon launching 1Password app. But after restart it’s gone and I have to lauch mother-app to get the mini launched. I have not noticed similar symptoms in other applications; everything else works fine. Please help.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Ivan Berka: It's really hard to say what might cause that on your machine. It could be another app preventing it from launching, something may be damaged...or that you're just running into the same problem I've been having since September: High Sierra seems to be a little too high and often forgets to launch many of the apps I have set to do so on login. Have you tried rebooting and installing a fresh copy of 1Password? Just make sure to Trash it first, restart, and then install the correct version — either from the Mac App Store or our website — based on what you purchased. You might also try the more extreme method the original poster used, but make sure you save a backup of your data before doing so. Let me know how it goes! :)

• Ivan Berka
    Ivan Berka
    Community Member
    Options

Aaargh… I have done all you’ve advised (thanks for the effort brenty) – trashed the app, rebooted, installed fresh app. But the 1Password mini didn’t show up unless I launched 1Password app. Then I trashed the app via AppZapper, restarted and installed fresh app with the same result – 1Password mini won’t show up after rebooting. I was about to create a new user account to try whether it’s damaged current account to blame, but abandoned it realizing I would have to go all the way setting up the software in trial mode, sending e-mail address jus for the purpose of testing… It’s possible I’ll have to go the way of system reinstall but not now - the 1Passwod mini is the only thing misbehaving now.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Ivan Berka - one little, silly possibility (I'm sure you've checked this already, but just in case): in Preferences > General, is "keep 1Password mini running at all times" checked? I'd sure hate to see you doing a full system reinstall because a preference became un-checked.

• Ivan Berka
    Ivan Berka
    Community Member
    Options

Yes Lars. This one I checked every time I fresh installed the app, and prior. Thanks for mentioning, you are right – it wouldn’t be the first time I’d miss the most obvious thing.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Ivan Berka: Sorry to hear you're still having this issue. Very baffling. I think that it may be worth trying a new user account, but first I'd try using the 1Password Troubleshooting tool to reset Launch Services.

I accidentally typed "Lunch Services" initially, and now I can't get it out of my head. Let me know if either suggestion helps! :lol:

• Ivan Berka
    Ivan Berka
    Community Member
    Options

Your Lunch Services were welcome! ;) Thanks for help. Well, I’ve run 1PasswordTroubleshooting and let it to create the report. Then I reset Launch Services. After reboot the system behaves the same old way – no 1Password mini grinning from above as it didn’t get launched. I’ve sent the report to support e-mail address.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Ivan Berka: Well, I was hoping that dessert would be served as well and it would work for you after that...but it sounds like we're out of luck there. I see that we've received your email, so we can continue the conversation there. We'll take a look at the diagnostics and get back to you shortly!

ref: PUU-39816-762

• Ivan Berka
    Ivan Berka
    Community Member
    edited February 2018
    Options

Thanks @brenty

Hi folks, enclosed please find brenty’s e-mail reply with his advice (could be of use to somebody):

Thanks for sending that, Ivan!

It looks like AppZapper may not have actually cleaned things up, as I'm seeing that the preferences file does not have 1Password mini set to run. That may not be getting set and also not getting cleared by App Zapper due to a permissions issue or some other filesystem problem, so try resetting permissions using the 1Password Troubleshooting tool.

If you're still having the same issue, please do the following:

1. In Finder, choose Go > Go to Folder.

2. Copy and paste the following path and press Return: ~/Library/Preferences

3. Drag the files named 2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits.onepassword4-helper.plist and com.agilebits.onepassword4.plist to the Trash.

4. Open 1Password and make sure it's set to keep mini running

5. Restart your Mac and see if that setting — and preferences file — persists

If not, it will be something much deeper than 1Password, and I'm not sure exactly how you'll need to proceed, so hopefully it's just the preferences file and that doesn't the trick. Let me know!

• brenty

[AgileBits update: deleting 1Password preferences files is not normally recommended because certain settings, including any for 3rd party syncing, may need to be reconfigured again]

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks for the update, Ivan! It looks like that didn't quite do the trick for you, so I'll follow up via email to see if there's anything else we can do. Not sure what's messing up your preferences there. :blush:

• matulic
    matulic
    Community Member
    Options

I had the same problem. Here is what helped me: in 1Password went to Preferences... unchecked "Always keep 1Password mini running", closed the preferences and quit 1Password. Upon quitting, 1Password warned me that my browser extension may not work if 1Password mini is not running - asked me if I want to enable 1Password mini. I clicked Enable and viola! After reboot 1Password mini starts automatically again.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@matulic - thanks for the suggestion! Indeed, sometimes preferences (all preferences, not just 1Password) can become corrupted, and a good way to reset them is to make changes, save, and then change back. I'm glad to hear this worked for you in this case. :)

This discussion has been closed.