Separate 2 individual accounts from one family account

Options
bor2_sarah
bor2_sarah
Community Member

Hi, I've a family account with 2 members. We want to switch 2 to individuals accounts and both keep all our password and account. How can we do that ? Each want a separate account, keep our passwords and separate billling.
Thanks a lot,
Sarah

1Password Version: web
Extension Version: web
OS Version: web
Sync Type: don't know

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Welcome to the forum, @bor2_sarah! What you want can be done relatively easily, but I'd be remiss if I didn't point out that the cost of two individual accounts ($2.99/mo x 2 = $5.98/mo) is more than the cost of a single 1Password Families account ($4.99/mo) which allows up to five people in it, and also enables sharing of items between users by means of the Shared vault (as well as any other ones the owner/admin creates). It's just a better deal, financially as well as from a features standpoint.

If your issue is that you want to make sure your private items are kept private, then 1Password Families has you covered there as well: just make sure you place all your personal, not-to-be-shared items into your Private vault and set your Vault for Saving to your Private vault as well. That should give each of you his/her own separate vault that only you can access by means of your own Master Password and Secret Key -- exactly as two individual accounts would be.

I can think of other reasons to want to separate one 1Password Families account into two individual accounts, but wanted to make sure you're not doing something you don't have to do, out of a misunderstanding of what is possible. If you're still determined to split up into two individual accounts, then what you'd each separately want to do is visit the main 1Password sign-up page and create a new Individual account. Then each of you add your new account into your 1Password app and move your items from your 1Password Families account Private vault into your new Individual account. Any items in the 1Password Families Shared vault should be copied by one or both of you, not moved (moving erases the item in the source vault so that the other person wouldn't be able to copy it if desired.

Once you both agree your 1Password Families accounts are empty and no longer needed, you can remove the 1Password Families account from your 1Password apps (visit the Accounts tab of Preferences or settings and remove the 1Password Families account), and finally whichever of you is the Family Organizer for the 1Password Families account can visit the account in the web, remove your payment method from the Billing tab, and that will be the end of it. Let us know if you have any questions.

• bor2_sarah
    bor2_sarah
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @Lars , and thanks a lot for your response! Yes, I have a good reason for, and I'm still determinate to slit up. I'll follow your explanations and will let you know if I'm lost at any point.
    Thanks again,
    Sarah

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@bor2_sarah - you're quite welcome; drop by anytime if you have questions or something doesn't appear to be working the way you think it should.

This discussion has been closed.