Mac Store >> Two PCs >> Same Version >> One says READ ONLY

carboncow
carboncow
Community Member

Being using what I think is the standalone for some time. Computer in basement and upstairs both state MAC STORE v. 6.8.7 (687003). One iMac is working fine while 2nd one is in READ ONLY mode and insists I buy a subscription or such.

Very confused.

I get you have a sub and standalone model and the what I believe are the cloud storage benefits but I cannot wrap my head around why one iMac/version is angry and the other is not!

Thx.
RSF

1Password Version: 6.8.7
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.13.3
Sync Type: DropBox

Comments

• Hi @carboncow,

Thanks for taking the time to write in. I suspect what has happened here is an Apple ID mismatch. Do you have multiple Apple IDs in use in your household? 1Password must be installed using the same Apple ID that was used to purchase it, or it will not be able to properly license itself. Apple’s Family Sharing does not work / apply.

Please let us know.

Ben

• shawn33
    shawn33
    Community Member

I have the same problem. I purchase 1password standalone version using Mac App Store so I would sync with iCloud. everything was normal until few days ago, I can't update 1password via Mac App Store any more. it says this product is taken off from App Store. note that I used an Apple ID(USA) for app purchase, and at same time I use a 2nd Apple ID(China) for iCloud service. Apple allows you use separate Apple ID for App Store and iCloud. (on Feb 28, all China Apple ID moved its server from US to China, not sure if this is the source of the problem).

• shawn33
    shawn33
    Community Member

I fixed the problem by uninstall the app, re-log into my Mac App Store with my USA Apple ID, re-download the 1password app again.. all worked now

• shawn33
    shawn33
    Community Member

BTW, if I have a standalone version which I purchased from apple App Store, how do I sign up an account with 1passwrod.com? if I sign up, do I have to pay monthly? I thought I purchased a stondalone version for life.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    edited February 2018

@shawn33 - I'm glad to hear you were able to resolve the issue; I'm not certain what the recent move by Apple means - if anything - for 1Password, but if I had to guess, I wouldn't think it would affect users in this way.

Regarding your purchase from the Mac App Store, that purchase is valid - just as licenses purchased directly from our own store - for the version of 1Password you purchased. They never "expire" in the sense that you don't lose the ability to license that version of 1Password. But no purchase of 1Password has ever guaranteed a user free upgrades for life, if that's what you meant by "standalone version for life." If you purchased 1Password for Mac through us, we've actually given all users free upgrades to both version 6 and version 5 before that; version 4 was our last paid upgrade. And in the Mac App Store, it's been even longer, since the Mac App Store does not allow versioning unless you release a new product with a new SKU in the Mac App Store. And that's what we intend to do with 1Password 7; all but the most-recent purchases of 1Password 6 for Mac (no specific date set yet) will require a new purchase to use the new version.

To be clear, however, purchasing a standalone license is different from subscribing to a 1Password membership. In addition to all the other significant advantages of a 1Password membership, one of the main advantages is that each 1Password membership includes unlimited access to all four of our native 1Password applications (Android, Mac, Windows, and iOS, including all future upgrades) for as long as the membership is maintained. And it's paid for via an annual or monthly subscription. Just two different ways of paying for and using 1Password, so feel free to choose whichever one is best suited for your use-case. :)

ref: LRB-55191-143

• shawn33
    shawn33
    Community Member

@Lars, thanks for you so detailed explanation, this makes me love 1password more : ) it is just a little bit confusion on the website on 1password subscription vs the standlone version we purchased.. thanks anyway.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@shawn33 - If you ever have questions about things like that which aren't clear to you, please feel free to drop by here and ask for clarification - we're actually grateful to hear where our existing documentation may not have been clear to people. It's always clear to US...but we're aware that we spend all day doing this, and so sometimes things which seem clear or obvious to us may very well not to "real world" users out there. Glad I could help!

This discussion has been closed.