How to add license file to Windows Application

Hello,

I bought a 1Password 6 for Mac-License. This license entitles me to use it also for 1Password 4 and 5. If I am right, I can use this license for 1Password 4 for Windows, too.

Now here is my problem:
In the windows client I have only the opportunity to add a license key. But I only have a license file (*.onepassword-license) for my 1Password 6 purchase. How can I apply the license file to the windows client? Or is this impossible?

1Password Version: 4.6.2.626
Extension Version: 4.6.12.90
OS Version: Windows 10
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    edited February 2018

@nobumori85 -- I've just sent a quick email to the address you used to register for this forum. If you don't receive it, please check your Spam or Bulk email folder, as sometimes overzealous spam filters can mark unsolicited email from us as junk (the NERVE! 😉).

ref: WHJ-15846-771

• mkel
    mkel
    Community Member

I've got the same issue like the OP. I have a license file (*.onepassword-license) for my 1Password 6 purchase. How can I apply the license file to the windows client?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    edited March 2018

Welcome to the forum, @mkel! I've just sent you a quick email to the address you used to register for this forum.

ref: LTA-67371-241

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

Folks, since this thread has started to garner more than just a single reply, I want to post some general guidelines for this:

1. In general, 1Password has been sold in the past as per-person AND per-platform. That means if you bought a license for 1Password for Mac, that's what it licenses -- the Mac version of 1Password, not the Windows version.
    2. At some points in our history, we did indeed sell both "bundle licenses" that cost a bit more and contained licenses for both platforms (Windows and Mac), and for a short time, a single license that was just 1Password -- it was the only option, and contained licenses for both platforms. If you believe you have one of these but can't find the license key for the Windows version, please write in to us at support@agilebits.com
    3. When 1Password 7 is released, 1Password will again be sold per-platform and per-person. That way you'll be able to purchase only those platforms you need if you're going with Standalone 1Password.
    4. Unfortunately, until then, we are no longer selling licenses for the now quite old 1Password 4 for Windows, because although it is still the current version for standalone 1Password on the Windows side, it's also a legacy app at this point which we don't sell licenses for.

Thanks, everyone. :)

• travis_cav
    travis_cav
    Community Member

I purchased a single use 1Password for Windows license a few years ago. I became a Mac user and moved to the Mac app. Well I have a windows machine again and would like to leverage the license I previously purchased. The 1Password for windows license was so old, it required I enter an actual Key.

It appears the new version of 1Password no longer accepts keys. Is there anything I can do?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@travis_cav: You can either buy a license for the current version, 1Password 7, to use that, or continue using the version you already purchased. Both are available from our site:

https://1password.com/downloads/

However, you may want to consider a 1Password.com membership, since it gives you access to all of the apps, the web interface, and does away with license management and sync configuration altogether — you simply login to your account to authorize a device and access your data. You can try it for free for 30 days to take advantage of all of its benefits.

Either way, let us know if you have any other questions. :)

• paolocut
    paolocut
    Community Member

I have the same issue. I bought 1password licese for windows and mac. It's not clear how I can import the License.onepassword.licence file into 1password application under windows.
    Cna you pls provide instructions ?
    Thanks
    Paolo

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

Welcome to the forum, @paolocut! I'm sorry for the trouble. Can I ask: when did you buy this license for Windows + Mac? The onepassword.license file that works in 1Password for Mac does not work in 1Password for Windows, since they are indeed sold separately, and 1Password for Windows has never utilized a license file in the past. Instead, you would have received a license KEY - a traditional, serial number-style license that should have allowed you to enter it into 1Password for Windows. Do you have the original email receipt? It should be available there. Let me know when you purchased, please.

• jsm0372
    jsm0372
    Community Member

I have the combined license for Windows and Mac (1Password ver. 4 & 5). I recently bought a new Windows 10 laptop and installed the latest available for Windows 1Password ver. 7 … I'm guessing that my previous license(s) are not compatible with the latest version for Windows? If not, do you offer upgrade pricing? When I originally purchased, I thought I bought a lifetime license?? Also just noticed that the default download link is for ver. 7, is this beta and should I have downloaded ver. 4 standalone instead?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@jsm0372: Thanks for reaching out. I’m sorry for the confusion! Indeed, a license for the old version will not work for the new one. While the license you purchased will never expire, it is valid only for the one you paid for. We have never sold "lifetime" licenses as we cannot sustainably work for a lifetime for the cost of a single purchase. But you can find pricing in the announcements detailing what's new in version 7:

1Password 7 for Windows: The Best Ever

You can either purchase that particular version (there's a link right within the app to remove the "read only" restriction), get all of the apps and updates as part of a 1Password.com membership, or continue using the version you paid for already. The current version is at the top, but if you scroll down you can find a download link for 1Password 4 as well:

https://1password.com/downloads/

I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• paolocut
    paolocut
    Community Member

Hello Lars. Yes, I bought one license years ago, for my mac and windows (the bundle). I still have the email from 1Password containing the licese number for windows, and that worked all these years. I am requested (new PC) to provide the license file; I have a sort of file ".licese" from the mentioned email, but that is not recognized by 1password for windows. How can I do ?
    Thanks

• Hi @paolocut,

You bought a bundle license that included 1Password 4 for Windows and 1Password 6 for macOS. 1Password 7 versions aren't included, they're a separate purchase and we've stopped selling bundle licenses before that.

You can download 1Password 4 from the bottom right of our downloads page here. Be sure to uninstall 1Password 7 before you install 1Password 4.

When you open 1Password 4, you can register your license via the Help Menu > Enter License Key.

• afotoglidis
    afotoglidis
    Community Member

Hi,

I purchased a 1Password licence a few years ago. Have been using 1password on Macos and I love it! Now I have installed it on my Win 10 machine and there is a notice on the top of the UI that reads: "1Password i read-only. Add a 1password account or licence to edit or save."

When I click on "licence" the file browser opens, however, and "1Password licence files" is by default chosen as the file-type that shows in the file browser. When I navigate to where the licence file is stored it does not show at all. The licence file is of file type: "x.onepassword-license", as stored in my dropbox folder, i.e. as stored on macos from the older installation.

How can I use that licence for the new Win10 installation?

Thanks

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@afotoglidis: As Mike mentioned above, a license for an old version will not work. They don't expire, but 1Password licenses are for the specific version you paid for. You'd either need to use the version you purchased, or purchase a license to use the new version:

1Password 7 for Windows: The Best Ever

Or you can get all of the apps as part of a 1Password membership. That also includes the web interface, and does away with license management and sync configuration altogether — you simply login to your account to authorize a device and access your data. You can try it for free for 30 days to take advantage of all of its benefits.

Either way, be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

This discussion has been closed.