1 Password now pops up wanting me to login with every click in Safari

Options
mfostervt
mfostervt
Community Member

I just did an update for 1 password for my mac and now if I have not logged into my 1 password account, any time I hit a link or open a new page to my Safari browser the Icon in the toolbar pops up wanting me to log in. I don't want to, nor do I want 1 password to act like I should. Can I DEEP SIX this stupid behavior. Extremely annoying.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@mfostervt: Without any of the basic information you left out of your post (OS, 1Password, browser, and extension versions, as well as some details about what you're seeing exactly) it's impossible to say for sure, but it sounds like you may be referring to iCloud prompting you to sign in so you can continue syncing. Is that correct? Either way, could you please clarify what you're seeing? If it's simpler, take a screenshot of this. To include it in your reply, simply click the document button in the top of the comment field, and select the file you wish to share:

Just be sure not to post anything sensitive, as this is a public forum. Thanks in advance!

• Fibrelady
    Fibrelady
    Community Member
    Options

I have the same question - here is a screenshot of what I get.......

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Fibrelady - thanks for the screenshot. What you're looking at is a 1Password prompt to save a login (for "Vancity"). You can click "Not Now" to get rid of this prompt if you don't wish to save a login for Vancity -- or are you saying you're getting this prompt more than once?

• Fibrelady
    Fibrelady
    Community Member
    Options

I get a request whenever I login to sites that I use all the time. This time the request looked slightly different but still the same message.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Fibrelady - are you logging into these sites manually, by typing in your credentials? Or are you using 1Password?

• Fibrelady
    Fibrelady
    Community Member
    Options

typing it in - it's quicker that the password my husband set up for 1Password ;-)

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Fibrelady -- that's the issue, then -- 1Password is behaving properly, by recognizing that you're entering credentials into a login field, and asking if you want to save them, either as a new record, or updating an existing record (depending on whether you've got something saved for that site already in 1Password).

You can change this behavior in 1Password if you wish by going to 1Passwords Preferences > Browsers and UN-checking the box marked "Detect new usernames and passwords and offer to save them."

However, I'd recommend against that -- the entire point of 1Password is to increase your online security and convenience. You do the first part of that (security) by having 1Password create new, stronger passwords for all your accounts -- which you don't have to remember, as long as you know your Master Password to unlock 1Password. You do the second - increasing your convenience - by allowing 1Password to both save and also fill your passwords for you, using the browser extension, so you don't have to a) remember and b) type in passwords at every single website you have an account with.

• Fibrelady
    Fibrelady
    Community Member
    Options

I don't remember this happening before. If I'm on a site quite a few times during a day, it always remembered that I knew the password, and that it was the same as the one in 1Password. I didn't have to keep telling 1Password to "go away" ;-)

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Fibrelady - my guess is that you probably also have the browser's built-in password manager enabled -- or perhaps you used to have it, and recently switched it off?

• Fibrelady
    Fibrelady
    Community Member
    Options

Would that trigger 1Password to ask me if I wanted to save the password?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Fibrelady - let me be clear: if you have 1Password installed, and that box I mentioned earlier is checked, 1Password will ask you to save logins every time you enter them using any method besides entering them with 1Password...because that's what you told it to do: detect and offer to save website logins.

This discussion has been closed.