Chrome extension not communicating with helper

I just signed up for 1password 6. Used to have 4. On Windows 7 the chrome extension could not communicate with helper. Went through all the support help (reinstall, reboot, enable native messaging, etc.) and nothing worked. Finally looked at Chrome extension page (chrome://extensions) and under 1password extension checked "Allow access to file URLs". Now it works great. Didn't see this answer anywhere else so posting in case someone else runs into it.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• @Eric G Miller: Thanks for passing this along! Strangely, though, I don't have that option checked and don't have any trouble with the extension. I'm curious if there's something unique about your system environment that may lead to this needing to be enabled, or perhaps if it's unique to Windows 7 (I'm on Windows 10 myself). If you disable it now and restart Chrome, do you have the same problem again? I'd love to have a better understanding of why this worked for you. Thanks! :chuffed:

• Eric G Miller
    Eric G Miller
    Community Member

I went to do that and found it unchecked. Not sure how it happened. For various unrelated reasons my Chrome and laptop have been restarted several times in the last couple of days. Could the 1password Chrome extension have taken matters into its own hands on a restart? Most importantly, the extension is still working with the box unchecked. I'm only a simple Java developer, the mysteries of Windows and Chrome are beyond my ken.

• @Eric G Miller: My best guess would be that Chrome was in the middle of or had completed an update, but failed to prompt you to restart it and one of those restarts sorted it out along the way. This happens to me from time to time and since the extension is disabled with an update pending, it can definitely look like something more is going on. It's just one gal's opinion, I suppose, but I personally find Chrome isn't as insistent as I'd like about updates when you've had your browser running for an extended period.

Either way, I did double check with the extensions team and the setting you enabled shouldn't do anything at all, so it's definitely looking like coincidence. Still, what matter is that it's working now, so I'm glad it's continuing to work properly with that option disabled and thanks for indulging my curiosity. :chuffed:

• scottned
    scottned
    Community Member

I had a similar problem -- upgraded from 4 to 6 with a family account. The issue for me was that the app settings item for "install 1Password Browser Extension" would always take me to the v4 extension which did not work. I even searched the Chrome store and found nothing newer. Finally, after logging in to the website I found this page, https://my.1password.com/apps/, which had a link to 1Password X: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/1password-x/aeblfdkhhhdcdjpifhhbdiojplfjncoa . That was the solution. I installed that version and it all works now.

• @scottned: 1Password X is actually an app unto itself in a way. It doesn't integrate with the desktop apps at all and works entirely on its own. The extension for the desktop apps is exactly the same, whether you use 1Password 6 or 1Password 4. I'd bet the trouble you were running into was that native messaging wasn't enabled for Chrome and Firefox in Settings > Advanced. Of course, if you're happy with 1Password X, that's great. I use it and love it myself, so no reason not to stick with it. :chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.