Family Plan-mixed OS

chas2u
chas2u
Community Member

I want to start a family plan for a mixed usage scenario with 5 people. Which platform is best to start with?
5 iPhone 6, 6s, 6s+, 7, 8+running iOS 11.2.6
2 Windows PCs running Windows 7 and Chrome and IE browsers.
1 Windows PC running Windows 10 and Chrome and IE browsers
1 iPad 4 mini iOS 11.2.6

I am currently using 7.0.5 on iOS on a iPhone 6s+ which I have been using for over 2+ years and love it. I am trying to convince my wife to use it, and she is reading that for Windows usage we should use LastPass or Dashlane.

I recently installed 1Password trial for my mother on a iMac and had great trouble, never getting the key or being able to generate and emergency kit. My sister bought a family plan using her MacBook, and we were able to bring my mother onto the family plan, but had trouble with the family plan picking up characteristics of the individual account which we tried to delete. In the end we deleted everything from my mother's iMac, my sister deleted my mother's family plan account and sent a new invitation. With that clean start, we were able to get my mother's iMac running with 1Password.

I do not want to have these issues again.

Do I start the family plan from the
1. iPhone 6s+ on which I have my individual account or
2. Windows 7 PC
3. something else, like my wife's iPhone 6s or iPad mini 4?

Thanks

1Password Version: 7.0.5.
Extension Version: none
OS Version: iOS 11.2.6, Windows 7
Sync Type: iTunes

Comments

• Hi @chas2u,

Does one of the Windows PCs have a printer accessible to it? If so that is where I’d start, and I’d start from the web interface using the Chrome web browser (not Internet Explorer):

https://start.1password.com/signup/plan

This way you can print your Emergency Kit as soon as it is generated. Once you have created the membership you can invite your family members, and if they’ve already been using 1Password they can follow the migration process:

Move your existing 1Password data to a 1Password account

If they were not already using 1Password prior to being invited to your 1Password Families account then the “Get the Apps” page should be very helpful in getting them set up:

https://start.1password.com/apps

I hope that helps!

Ben

This discussion has been closed.