Family Sharing Options

jkaplan
jkaplan
Community Member

I had read somewhere in the marketing material that we can give certain permissions to shared members however unable to find the instructions for this.

How would you recommend setting this up- Example : Family of 4. Would give all access to see home wifi password but not not let them edit it. Also give my daughter access to her email credentials and not the other 2 members. If setting this up would my daughter now have her own vault where she can add her stuff yet no one other then I can see???

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• jkaplan
    jkaplan
    Community Member

Second to that need to figure in the same scenario would it be best to "move" or "copy" my daughters information to her vault?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@jkaplan

I had read somewhere in the marketing material that we can give certain permissions to shared members however unable to find the instructions for this.

I'm not quite sure what you mean by this. Outside of the Shared vault, if you create other vaults in your 1Password Families account, you can invite only those family members you wish to each new vault, and you can give each person read or read/write access. Anything in the Shared vault will be fully accessible to all family members.

I have created a vault in my own 1Password Families account called "Parents" that's accessible only to my wife and I, and contains things like bank account/credit info and other things the kids don't need and shouldn't necessarily have access to. But in your case, your daughter would keep her email credentials for her personal email account in her Private vault (as would all of you; that's what the Private vault is for: individual, personal items). I imagine in a family of four, you'd all have your own, say, Facebook account...and you wouldn't want four separate entries all called "Facebook" in the Shared vault -- which is why you have your own Private vaults.

Regarding the differences between Move and Copy, they're significant. Move actually copies over the data from one vault to the other, but then it deletes the original (moves it to Trash). So it actually relocates the item(s). Copy, on the other hand, does exactly what it says; it makes a separate copy of the item. Those two copies now do not sync with one another, so if someone updates one of the copies, the other will remain the same. There are cases when you might need or want to do this, but in general, Move is by far the preferred option.

• jkaplan
    jkaplan
    Community Member

That is helpful, thank you!

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@jkaplan - you're quite welcome! Glad I was able to assist. :)

This discussion has been closed.