Cannot export PDF

Options
sodiumpowered
sodiumpowered
Community Member

I have a PDF document that was imported as an attachment, and I want to export it as a PDF to my desktop. Seems like it should be easy. However, it's beginning to feel impossible. I can see where I could email it to myself, or message it to myself, but for security reasons I don't really want to do that.

I see the 1P item for it (a separate linked item that is linked to the original item). I can view it within 1Password and with Quick Look. But it won't let me drag it out, either from where it is previewed in the 1P item itself, nor its entry in the list of all items in the vault. Right-click does nothing (no pop-up menu — why??? — right-click on embedded PDF and 'Save as...' would be so natural). If I choose File > Export > Selected items..., it wants to export the item as 1Password Interchange Format, or CSV, etc. There is no option to export the PDF itself. It seems like it is locked up within 1Password and no way to get it out.

I'm a pretty skilled computer user, and I've been trying everything for the last 10-15 minutes to make this work, and it is becoming super frustrating.

1Password Version: 6.8.3
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: macOS 10.13
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited October 2017
    Options

@sodiumpowered: Thanks for reaching out. I’m sorry for the confusion! If you, instead of using Quick Look, click the arrow to the right and select Show in Finder, you can copy the file from there do do anything you want with it. Just keep in mind that at that point its no longer secured in 1Password, and if you make changes you'll have to re-add it. I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

ref: OPM-5365

• sodiumpowered
    sodiumpowered
    Community Member
    Options

Just so we are on the same page, I believe you are talking about this:

I see that when I first open the item that contains the PDF, there is nothing that looks like an "arrow to the right". I have to click where it says "Click to View". After I do that, I see the PDF. When I roll over it with my mouse, I see the Quick Look combo button (shown above), containing the down arrow button. But when I try to click that down arrow (which I tried repeatedly before I made my post above), it always opens Quick Look. It does not show any menu with "Show in Finder".

Upon repeatedly trying this, it is clear that what happens is when I click the down arrow, it is the 'Quick Look' part of the button that highlights (in blue), and immediately launches a Quick Look window. It appears to be a bug.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@sodiumpowered: Aha! Yep. Thanks for clarifying. You said "attachments", and what I said will work for those. But it appears that you are using Documents in a 1Password.com account. There's a bug with this currently, just like you described. We're working on a fix for that, as it does not always work the way it should in some setups. Sorry for the trouble there. If you open it with Preview from Quick Look, you can save a copy of it to disk.

• jswright61
    jswright61
    Community Member
    Options

Any progress on this bug? It seems I may be experiencing the same issue. I'm pretty frustrated because I am applying for a mortgage and trying to upload things like Driver's Licenses and Social Security Cards to the lender's portal. I have dutifully saved these important and sensitives docs to my 1Password Family vault. I thought I could just drag and drop them from 1Password to a temporary folder and upload them from there. No way. I have to quick view, then Open in Preview, then duplicate the preview file, and then rename and and save the duplicated file to my temp folder. Uggghh.

Using 1Password Version 6.8.7 (687003) Mac App Store (1Password for Families)

• Ben
    Options

Hi @jswright61. We’re looking at re-designing the UI around this, but it isn’t something that has been implemented yet. I don’t know at this point when that might happen. Sorry for the inconvenience. I will bring the topic up again with our team.

Ben

• jswright61
    jswright61
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks. Is there a better way to do this with the current version?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@jswright61 - Unfortunately not at this time. We're aware this is a pain point if you're working with sensitive documents frequently that are stored in 1Password, but for now the way you described is the only way to do it.

This discussion has been closed.