1Password 7 for Windows Alpha 2 is ready for you!

Hey folks,

We have 1Password 7 Alpha 2 ready for you to play with. If you're new to 1Password 7 testing and haven't installed any 1Password 7 Alpha builds yet, you can download it directly here. The biggest change is that 1Password can now write your changes for standalone vaults to external OPVault files or as we normally call it, syncing your standalone vaults.

There are a few limitations to the Folder Sync, it does not yet support attachments and custom icons but we're working on that as we speak.

Here's the complete changelog along with the known issues at the bottom:

[NEW] 1Password can now write changes to external existing standalone OPVault files. Creating a new OPVault file is not yet implemented but it is coming in a future update. {OPW-1475}
[NEW] The sidebar has been rebuilt to show all three views into the same column and each section is now collapsable, which is now consistent with 1Password for macOS.
[NEW] 1Password can now import custom icons from the clipboard that contains an image file that was copied via Windows File Explorer, which is stored as a file path rather than an image. {OPW-1867}
[NEW] Added the Lock option to 1Password's jumplist on the taskbar. {OPW-1884}
[IMPROVED] Hover over the standalone vault in the Vault menu to see its location on your local drive.
[IMPROVED] Improved design for the item counts and zero item counts will not be shown.
[IMPROVED] Scrollbar has been refreshed to match the evolving 1Password 7 design.
[IMPROVED] 1Password will now default to selecting the first item when switching to a new view (Category, Tag, Security, etc) that did not have a previously selected item. 1Password mini does not yet have these improvements but will get them in a future update. {OPW-254, OPW-1922, 1150}
[IMPROVED] In addition, 1Password will also select the next item in the item list if the selected item was removed from the item list such as deleting/moving an item or unmarking the item as favorited while in Favorites. {OPW-254, OPW-1922, 1150}
[IMPROVED] Improved network change detection, 1Password now reconnects quicker and more accurately. {OPW-1849, 1887}
[IMPROVED] Latest 1Password Brain update (27) is now included for the 1Password browser extensions. {OPW-1911}
[IMPROVED] 1Password now display its menus without delays. {OPW-1836}
[IMPROVED] Updated translations from our translators and removed English UK as it will not be supported.
[FIXED] When booting up with Chrome auto-starting, Windows would report "1Password has stopped working" errors due to native messaging pipe(s) not being ready in time for the 1Password extension in Chrome.
[FIXED] 1Password would change the default vault for saving when changing the vault in the Autosave dialog, they're now de-coupled. {OPW-1959}
[FIXED] In certain network conditions, 1Password would not perform its sync after unlocking. {OPW-1845}
[FIXED] Unlocking 1Password mini via Windows Hello was not possible due to 1Password mini being dismissed prior to Windows Hello prompt showing up. {OPW-1811}
[FIXED] Filtered item list (viewing a tag) would reset to All Items when changes were made. {OPW-1507}
[FIXED] Removed the remaining blur effects when restoring, minimizing and maximizing 1Password windows. {OPW-1748}
[FIXED] 1Password app icons became blurry after changing the display resolution or its scaling factor. {OPW-1079}
[FIXED] When moving or copying an item that is favorited, the favorite status was not retained in the destination vault. {OPW-1919, OPW-1918}
[FIXED] Restored the border shadow on 1Password that was lost when we've moved to the custom titlebar in 1Password 6.8 update. {OPW-1585}
[FIXED] 1Password titlebar would not change its colors when inactive. {OPW-1725}
[FIXED] Control + Alt + Shift + C (not implemented in 1Password) would cause 1Password to crash. {OPW-1936}
[FIXED] When restarting 1Password, it would show the content of the previously selected category but it highlighted All Items on the sidebar. {OPW-1737}
[FIXED] (Alpha 1) 1Password would sometime start syncing prior to its network stack being ready, which would require an app restart to restore syncing. {OPW-1785}
[FIXED] (Alpha 1) Certain legacy "trashed" items did not show up in Trash for old standalone vaults. {OPW-1870}
[FIXED] (Alpha 1) Remove Personal Data didn't work in 1Password developer tool window. {OPW-1846}
[FIXED] (Alpha 1) When scrolling through a lot of items with custom icons, 1Password would trip the rate limiter on the 1Password account. 1Password will now throttle itself and batch the downloads for custom icons. {OPW-1851}
[FIXED] (Alpha 1) Do not show local vaults in the Share menu when sharing Document items. {OPW-1923}

Known issues:

• It is not yet possible to add new attachments/custom icons to standalone vaults. {OPW-1920, OPW-1778}
  • New standalone vaults within 1Password 7 does not yet support the ability to write external OPVault files. {OPW-1475}
  • Legacy AgileKeychain vaults cannot be opened directly for conversion to OPVault yet. Instead, create a new vault first via 1Password Menu > New vault on this PC...and then import AgileKeychain into the new vault. {OPW-1806}
  • It is not yet possible to use standalone vaults outside of 1Password membership, it is coming soon.
  • Search highlighting does not work in the note field. This is coming in a future update. {OPW-1815}
  • Categories and its field templates are not localized at the moment.

Comments

• qzmarco
    qzmarco
    Community Member

Great news! Keep going with the good job!

• mohammad1361
    mohammad1361
    Community Member
    edited March 2018

Hi,
    1password is the best. Maybe lock screen's redesign not be your priority but with each update, I think you will redesign it :'( . I like a 1password's lock screen like mac version, it's fantastic, so when do you want to redesign lock screen especially like the photo or more beautiful than it? 8-)

• Hey @mohammad1361, Thanks very much for your kind words!
    Sorry for the vague reply here, but please do watch this space. We've got a priority list that we are focusing all of our efforts on at the moment – OPVault support for instance. Having OPVault support where it needs to be, is incredibly important to us and matters a great deal. Now of course the lock screen is also important and it is not being ignored, especially with it not being seen to receive a visual update in sometime. We just need to ensure there are other missing areas, no longer missing from 1Password for Windows.
    If you've got time, we would love to have your feedback from testing the new Alpha 2 fixes, features and improvements.

• Cheers @qzmarco! We can't wait to hear what you think of the changes and updates. As I just mentioned to Mohammad, we would love to hear your Alpha 2 feedback if you've got time. Receiving feedback from awesome customers like you, Mohammad and all others in our forums truly does make a massive difference to the success of 1Password. We are very grateful.

• MarcoZ
    MarcoZ
    Community Member

Hi team!

Fantastic job on the first alphas of OnePassword 7! Here are some things I noticed while using the new alpha with the NVDA screen reader and the keyboard.

1. In the main menu (F10), the item below Settings is not spoken, it has no accessible label. if I expand it, it will tell me the account I am signed in and offer to change that.
    2. The Languages sub menu has funny labels like AgileBits.1Password.CodeTitle for each menu item.
    3. In the Settings window, when focused on the tabs, it is not possible to switch to different tabs with the left and right arrow keys as you would expect. This worked in 1Password 6.
    4. On the Updates tab, the button to check for updates has no label.

Other than that, it looks very good so far. obviously I need to actually use it day to day to find more problems, if there are any. :)

Keep up the good work!

• binaranomaly
    binaranomaly
    Community Member

Windows Hello Support - awesome :)

• pbryanw
    pbryanw
    Community Member

Hi, I'm really enjoying the new theme after updating to Alpha 2. I especially like the new Mac-like sidebar configuration, scrollbar styling's and the scroll-bar's on-demand nature :)

I was just wondering if moving the copy/reveal/large type buttons next to their respective fields, is likely to make it into a future 1Password 7 build (this being my only remaining bugbear). Thanks, and keep up the good work :+1:

• Thank you @marcoZ, @binaranomaly and @pbryanw.
    @MarcoZ, thank you very much for these very insightful pieces of feedback. I’m always extra grateful to users like yourself who are helping us push forward with inclusive design. I will open dialog with the others to see if these are areas we can address soon.

@binaranomaly it really is handy isn’t it! This was always something I was hoping we could bring back sooner rather than later. What can I say, we’ve got some pretty amazing devs.

@pbryanw the scroll bars are niice eh? :+1: Truth be told the tabs we used to have in the sidebar were something I had pushed for, but after some time, it was apparent that we needed to switch for a singular column sidebar. Now, as you probably expect, we’re not done. It’s an alpha release after all. We are going to be smartening up the item detail and editor in future releases, can’t say when but we know there’s room for improvement! Thanks very much for the feedback!

• binaranomaly
    binaranomaly
    Community Member

@Doodler_Benji it is super handy keep up the good work!
    Since I'm also a macbook pro user - the benchmark is quite high, though ;)

• Hi guys,

THANK YOU for the feedback, we love hearing them from you guys.

@MarcoZ,

Thanks for your help, it's been a while! We always appreciate your amazing help with the accessibility.

1. In the main menu (F10), the item below Settings is not spoken, it has no accessible label. if I expand it, it will tell me the account I am signed in and offer to change that.

and

1. On the Updates tab, the button to check for updates has no label.

Both issues are related, these are dynamic text strings that automatically informs you if the 1Password is up to date or there's an update available, there may be an unexpected issue with binding them properly. We're working on fixing this soon.

The unlabeled option in 1Password menu doesn't expand but if you press the right arrow, it jumps to the next menu on the title bar, which is the account menu and it'll show you the account details.

ref: OPW-1979

1. The Languages sub menu has funny labels like AgileBits.1Password.CodeTitle for each menu item.

I can confirm this bug, we apologize for missing that. We'll get it fixed soon.

ref: OPW-1978

1. In the Settings window, when focused on the tabs, it is not possible to switch to different tabs with the left and right arrow keys as you would expect. This worked in 1Password 6.

In 1Password 7, we've moved from horizontal tabs to vertical tabs in the Settings, so it would work if you press up and down instead. Can you confirm that is the case?

@binaranomaly

Since I'm also a macbook pro user - the benchmark is quite high, though ;)

Well, hopefully, we'll meet that benchmark sooner than later. I switch between my Surface Pro 4 and 2012 Macbook Pro Retina and in a few years, I'd be in the market for a new laptop. The first question will be, which will run 1Password better. :smile:

• MarcoZ
    MarcoZ
    Community Member

Hi @MikeT,

thanks for the speedy reply!

In 1Password 7, we've moved from horizontal tabs to vertical tabs in the Settings, so it would work if you press up and down instead. Can you confirm that is the case?

Yes, I can confirm that. Thanks! I just wasn't expecting tabs to go vertically instead of horizontally as is normally the case. I don't know if this can be communicated via the UIA API somehow, since I expect that more keyboard users might stumble upon this.

Marco

• Hi @MarcoZ,

You're welcome. I'll check with our developers to see if there's something in the API to inform that the navigation is vertical based or maybe come up with something for left/right.

By the way, just to let you know, we did regress a bit on the new sidebar in this alpha update. If you press down all the way, it doesn't let you go from categories to the tags section and to security section. We switched from three tabs in the sidebar to one column but we need to change it a bit to make it one list, so that it is easy for you to navigate the entire list.

ref: OPW-1977

• @binaranomaly some may say the same to Mabook Pro users about the Surface pro/studio. Which is why I enjoy using both Platforms they’ve both got such awesome advantages and when you compare them, perhaps disadvantages too. It’s crazy to think just how far 1Password for Windows has come in such a short space of time. Super proud.

• GoShawn
    GoShawn
    Community Member

Am I the only one who is dense and can't find the download link?

• MikeT
    edited March 2018

Hi @GoShawn,

Am I the only one who is dense and can't find the download link?

No, we do apologize for the confusion.

We used to have everyone sign up for the beta project via HockeyApp. All of these users would be notified via HockeyApp of new beta updates. However, in 1Password 7, we've moved away from HockeyApp to let you simply enable the beta updates within 1Password's update settings but you need to be running 1Password 7 already. So, what we did, is all 1Password 6 beta users are already notified of a 1Password 7 update that'll migrate them to our new updater platform. However, this doesn't help for "new" testers.

We are working on an update to our website to use the new updater platform with direct links to 1Password 7 builds but it is not ready.

Here's the direct link to the Alpha 2 update: https://cache.agilebits.com/dist/1P/win6/1PasswordSetup-7.0.522.exe

I'll update the original post.

• GoShawn
    GoShawn
    Community Member

I found a direct download link to build 510 here: https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/86285/1password-7-for-windows-alpha-1-is-here/p1.

Will install and let the app update itself.

• Hi @GoShawn,

I've updated the original post with the direct link. Thanks for mentioning this!

• MarcoZ
    MarcoZ
    Community Member

Hi @MikeT,

By the way, just to let you know, we did regress a bit on the new sidebar in this alpha update. If you press down all the way, it doesn't let you go from categories to the tags section and to security section. We switched from three tabs in the sidebar to one column but we need to change it a bit to make it one list, so that it is easy for you to navigate the entire list.
    ref: OPW-1977

Fantastic, thanks for the heads-up!

Marco

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Likewise, thanks for all of your feedback! Keep it coming, and we'll keep making it better. :chuffed:

• Richyread
    Richyread
    Community Member

Just updated - some immediate feedback....the changes to the sidebar are fab ;) Much cleaner, less cluttered and with the Tags & Security sections collapsed it does (for me at least) provide more focus on the key elements, which is a definite improvement.

But..

[IMPROVED] Updated translations from our translators and removed English UK as it will not be supported.

Crikey me o'l-china, this sounds like a right bubble bath. :p
    I can't adam & eve that supporting folks in ol'blighty would be causing so much of a barney rubble? After all we share the same baked bean with our Candian baker's dozen's - perhaps we should get together in a neutral rub-a-dub until we're all a little brahm's & list, followed by a ruby murray to sort this all out...or does it just come down to a lack of bees and honey in the end? :)

Richy

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Richyread: OMG I knew that was coming! :lol:

I'll have to borrow a Brit here for a translation, as Google Translate, unfortunately, does not support UK English either. :sweat:

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Richyread: Turns out...there's an app for that:

https://www.translatebritish.com/

The result isn't quite family-friendly, but I appreciate the spirit and your passion for UK English. We've got some fans here as well. I just couldn't rightly call myself one at this time without many more years of study though. :lol:

• Cor' luv a duck! @brenty. I already told yew what our ol' china @Richyread said. What can I say Rich, can't get the staff eh? :) Nothing to do with the honey, or Captain Kirk. ... Enough of that, I'm just outside of London down in the Garden of England. The removal of the language option in this alpha is to gauge if we can simplify the app approach to localising. I personally did the localisation for the UK english, so I will add your feedback. :+1:

• Finke03
    Finke03
    Community Member

Do you plan to include WLAN sync in one of the first stable releases? Or how would it be possible to sync the local vault with e.g. iOS?
    Will it be possible to access two vaults in parallel e.g. one local vault for the very sensitive items like bank accounts (which should not be stored outside of my network) and a separate vault which will be used with 1PW Account for not so sensitive items like online accounts?

• MikeT
    edited March 2018

Hi @Finke03,

Thanks for writing in.

Do you plan to include WLAN sync in one of the first stable releases?

We don't know at the moment, we're only focusing on finishing the standalone vaults support first. Once we do, we'll work on sync options next. For now, only Folder Sync/Dropbox sync is confirmed and available in the current alpha builds.

Or how would it be possible to sync the local vault with e.g. iOS?

You can choose to sync with Dropbox for your mobile devices and other computers if you wish. For offline local network only, WLAN is required but we don't have a timeframe on when it is coming.

Note that Folder Sync allows you to use any sync tool of your choosing, such as Resilo Sync (formerly known as BitTorrent Sync) to sync between computers and mobile devices using your local network only. Folder Sync is supported in 1Password for Android.

However, due to how iOS works, you can't easily use a tool to sync to the device's local storage and have that storage accessed any time by another app like 1Password, they're locked down and isolated per apps. We're hoping Apple will make this work well in a future iOS update as they continue to improve with the Files app and adding more extension points.

Will it be possible to access two vaults in parallel e.g. one local vault for the very sensitive items like bank accounts (which should not be stored outside of my network) and a separate vault which will be used with 1PW Account for not so sensitive items like online accounts?

Yes, you'll be able to set different sync options including no sync at all for each vault you add/create and access all of them in the same database within 1Password 7 for Windows alongside your 1Password accounts.

• Finke03
    Finke03
    Community Member

thanks a lot MikeT for clarification.
    Another idea would be to store the vault on a local NAS like Synology. Would it be possible to access the vault on a network storage from iOS instead of Dropbox? Before I used 1PW I did the same with Keepass. This would be a workaround until WLAN sync has been implemented.
    Otherwise an upgrade from 1PW4 to 1PW7 makes no sense, because it’s not possible to sync my local vault with iOS anymore 🤣.

• MikeT
    edited March 2018

Hi @Finke03,

You're welcome.

Another idea would be to store the vault on a local NAS like Synology. Would it be possible to access the vault on a network storage from iOS instead of Dropbox?

Folder Sync is platform-agnostic, it allows you to use any tools you want including Synology's CloudStation. You can store the standalone vault on any NAS, network drive, cloud folders, external drives, etc.

How Folder Sync works is 1Password has its own internal database to store all of your data and when you enable Folder Sync, it export the specific vault in the form of the OPVault folder that you can place anywhere. Once you choose a location, 1Password will monitor that folder continuously for any changes to merge the remote changes into its database or to update the folder of changes you make in 1Password 7.

The problem is with iOS limitations, it does not support Folder sync, regardless of what you use. Dropbox in 1Password works by connecting directly to Dropbox's servers and downloading from it. It is not actually connecting to the Dropbox app on the same device.

Otherwise an upgrade from 1PW4 to 1PW7 makes no sense, because it’s not possible to sync my local vault with iOS anymore 🤣.

Correct. If we ship the initial 1Password 7.0 release without WLAN support, it does not make sense to upgrade until we do add it. It's just a matter of available resources we have at any given moment. We cannot add WLAN on top of something that is not complete yet.

WLAN sync is entirely different from how any sync works and requires us to build in a Wi-Fi server to connect to 1Password for iOS or Android.

• Richyread
    Richyread
    Community Member

@brenty @Doodler_Benji forgive my Friday afternoon hijinks- it all makes perfect sense, just something that stood out on the patch notes :p

Richy (+200miles from London) Read.

• Moritz_
    Moritz_
    Community Member
    edited March 2018

Hi all - all of the fixes are greatly appreciated!

One small thing I have noticed just now could be a UI improvement / UX improvement and I was wondering if you'd think about looking into it whether this is a won't fix or actually you'd fix eventually.

When you edit an entry in 1P and for example add a field, if the main gui is in a size where you would get displayed the scroll bar when hovering over the "sandwich icon" to select whether the entry is a password, text or something else the scrollbar is in the way and blocks a "clear" view on the button itself.

Would you mind nudging the buttons 22px inwards the main GUI?
    My reasoning would be since the icons on the left outer edge of the main GUI window also have a spacing of 22px I believe.

I just checked in the macOS 1P app and there you will find an appropriate spacing from the right inwards so the scrollbar does not collide with the icons itself. I think this would go along with the already made improvements to get the Windows App more in the same use and feel of the macOS App. But I just wanted to point it out since I noticed it. <3

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Hey, without Friday afternoon hijinks, where would we be? Cheers! ;)

This discussion has been closed.