Windows 10 Edge Browser Extension Available? [Yes, use Edge to find more extensions]

Options
mhosborn
mhosborn
Community Member
edited November 2017 in 1Password 4 for Windows

I just activated my Family account this week, and successfully installed 1Password on my wife's Windows Surface Book 2 (brand new computer...purchased just last week). Is there a browser extension for the Edge browser in Windows 10? As far as I could tell, browser extensions are only available for Chrome, Safari, and Firefox.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Cartman
    Cartman
    Community Member
    edited November 2017
    Options

Yes there is....look in the Microsoft Store app for 1Password or follow this link:

https://www.microsoft.com/store/productId/9WZDNCRDR64J

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @mhosborn,

Thank you for signing up for 1Password Families!

Cartman is right, 1Password extension for Microsoft Store is available in the Microsoft Store. Here is a post in our blog about it:

1Password living on the [Microsoft] Edge

Please give it a try and let us know if it works for you. Thanks!

Cheers,
    Greg

• mhosborn
    mhosborn
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks! It took a while, as what I saw on the Windows Store appeared to be the full application, not just the extension. (It said "...this app contains an extension..."). So I didn't think that's what I needed. In the end, I went ahead and installed it, and it seems to work.

• Hi @mhosborn,

That's great and on behalf of Greg, you're welcome.

The 1Password app in the Windows store contains both the 1Password extension for Edge and a "middleman" app that connects 1Password extension to the desktop version of 1Password program, so they both can communicate in both directions.

You are correct that it appears to be an app rather than an extension if you go looking for 1Password in the Windows Store or click a direct link for it. If you use Edge to find more extensions, it'll take you to the special page showing its extensions and 1Password would show up there.

We'll try to adjust the wording in the Microsoft Store to clarify it is just an extension and the desktop program is still required.

• jfalkingham
    jfalkingham
    Community Member
    Options

I'd ask you to create a plugin that does not require the full client to be installed. I'm not changing from Windows 10S just to satisfy having 1password on one of my family computers. I love your app and the cloud subscription family option, but lack of a windows store app is causing us to re-evaluate.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@jfalkingham: We have done just that with 1Password X, but that works in Chrome, so using Windows 10 S still prevents you from using what you're asking for here. I hope we'll be able to offer something similar for Edge in the future, but Edge has some real limitations, and it will be a lot of work even if we're able to make it happen there. It won't happen overnight. Edge is a very small position of our userbase as it is only available on Windows 10, and Windows 10 S is an even smaller target "platform". It's just not something we can work on now at the expense of all of our other users on regular Windows 10, Windows 8.1, and Windows 7, to say nothing of the other major browsers. If it's something we're able to do in the future we will, but probably not possible in the near term, even if Windows 10 S miraculously explodes in the future. :blush:

This discussion has been closed.