Windows 10S / Surface Laptop Support?

Options

I'm currently running Windows 10S on a Surface Laptop. I'm able to install 1Password from the Microsoft Store, However it appears to rely on also having the standalone app installed as well. I'm unable to install the standalone app as Windows 10s restricts install of apps to only apps installed form the Microsoft Store. Is there a version of 1Password that can be installed from the store that can be used on Windows 10S?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 10s
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@JasonO: No. We don't currently have plans to support Windows 10S, but it may be something we can do in the future. Currently we're working on the new desktop app, as that allows us to integrate with Edge and other browsers. If you're able to run full Windows though that will work with the latest version.

• jfalkingham
    jfalkingham
    Community Member
    Options

Please provide a windows store app so that 1password can be used on Windows 10S. If you are not willing to do that, how about an Edge app that does not require 1password to be installed?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@jfalkingham: Those are all great ideas, but there are only so many hours in a day, and it's going to take quite a few of those to finish what we're already working on.

We don't have immediate plans for the Windows Store because we're focused on 1Password 7 and that's going to be quite a lot of work that can benefit all 1Password users. We're not going to drop that and work on a brand new app (UWP for the Windows Store) that can only be used by a relatively small percentage of the Windows install base (Windows 10), and required for an even smaller amount. We'd like to have a full app in the Windows Store app again in the future, but there are plenty of real limitations there we'd have to overcome first, and you have no such limitations yourself as you'll be free — literally — to use the full version of Windows 10.

• jfalkingham
    jfalkingham
    Community Member
    Options

I agree and understand, you have to develop for the masses to generate the most return. MS will be offering "S" versions of pro & home in the next push, there are reasons to want to go to S version offering greater control over signed apps and offering tighter security. I'm not removing the S version simply for the fact that the audience that uses the surface laptops in my home can use all the help they can get with security. Is there anyway to have an Edge ext that does not require full app?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I agree and understand, you have to develop for the masses to generate the most return. MS will be offering "S" versions of pro & home in the next push, there are reasons to want to go to S version offering greater control over signed apps and offering tighter security.

@jfalkingham: I agree. I think it's an interesting idea. Just not sure it has legs (I remember Windows RT). Only time will tell though.

I'm not removing the S version simply for the fact that the audience that uses the surface laptops in my home can use all the help they can get with security. Is there anyway to have an Edge ext that does not require full app?

I hear you. But no, the only reason we have anything in the Windows Store at all right now is because that's a requirement for us to integrate with Edge: the extension must be available there. It's just that: an extension of the main 1Password app; it isn't powerful enough to do anything on its own. If it is possible in the future to make a full-featured Edge extension that is entirely self-sufficient, that would be cool though.

• jfalkingham
    jfalkingham
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for the update. On those machines using the S version, can they still use the vault on 1password.com via Edge? Assuming they will be online all the time anyway.

• @jfalkingham: You can certainly access your vault on 1Password.com in Edge, but you won't be able to fill with the extension in Edge absent a desktop app. You can, of course, copy/paste your data from the web app in Edge. As brenty mentioned, it would be great if we could bring something like 1Password X to Edge to fill in this gap, but that's not something on the immediate road map right now. :+1:

• jfalkingham
    jfalkingham
    Community Member
    Options

Well that is a big + to the subscription model! This will solve the issue for the near term and after reading up on its security, I'm good with having this be an option for those few machines (as of now). Thank you!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I'm glad to hear that helps. And be sure to let us know if you have any questions about 1Password.com in general or about its security model. Cheers! :)

This discussion has been closed.