Larry_Lubcke
Larry_Lubcke
Community Member
edited March 2018 in 1Password 4 for Windows

1Password 4 for Windows Single License
Name: L_ Lubcke
Key: I have this
Download: https://agilebits.com/downloads
Register: Select Help > Enter License Key…, and enter the above key.
I did this, there isn't a "Help" to select. The normal log on screen will not allow me to "Sign In" with out a secret key and I do not have one because I purchased the App years ago.
How do I install this app on a new laptop or even log into the app on the web with out a secret key?

1Password Version: 4.6.2.626
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Win 10
Sync Type: Drop Box
Referrer: forum-search:problem installing App

Comments

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Larry_Lubcke,

Thank you for reaching out and using 1Password! :+1:

If you purchased 1Password 4 for Windows years ago, you didn't get an account with our new service (with Secret Key and Sign-in address and QR code). What you have is a standalone license, which is different.

It sounds like you have downloaded 1Password 6 for Windows that is focused on our 1Password accounts and does not support standalone licenses at the moment. If you want to use your license, you should uninstall 1Password 6 for Windows and then install 1Password 4 for Windows from here. Please give it a try and let me know how it goes.

Moreover, since you are using a standalone license and a local vault, you won't be able to access your data via web interface at 1Password.com account. If you are interested in doing so, I would recommend you to sign up for 1Password account and migrate your data, as it is the best way to use 1Password right now. And here is why:

What are the benefits of a 1Password membership?

If you have any other questions, feel free to raise them in your reply. Thanks!

Cheers,
    Greg

• TX Tim
    TX Tim
    Community Member

I am another standalone apps user who paid for 1Password on MacOS, iOS, and Windows to sync with Dropbox.

I have no intention of ever using a subscription service where my data is accessible through some website. The product is useless to me if I cannot control the data storage.

That being said, I understand the recurring revenue motivation to push everyone to a subscription service. You might consider a BYO-storage subscription with modest annual fee ($10 per user for all platforms we already purchased outright) to maintain the software and keep it usable with whatever user-managed storage options you support.

Just a thought from another user who "accidentally" updated from 1P Windows v4 to v6 and had to go revert backwards to get my data.

• Larry_Lubcke
    Larry_Lubcke
    Community Member

I uninstalled 1Password 6 for Windows and then installed 1Password 4 for Windows this solved my issues and everything worked quite well. Thank you for your help.

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

@TX Tim: Thank you for chipping in! If you prefer standalone licenses and local vaults, we are completely okay with that. They are coming back in 1Password 7 for Windows, so please stay tuned. :)

@Larry_Lubcke: You are very welcome! 1Password 4 for Windows is an old app, but please stick with it for the time being. As I've just mentioned above, 1Password 7 for Windows will support the way you are using 1Password now and will be a paid upgrade. Please watch out for more news on this topic.

If you have any other questions, feel free to reach out to us anytime. Thank you! :+1:

Cheers,
    Greg

• TX Tim
    TX Tim
    Community Member

Great news! Thank you, @Greg.

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

@TX Tim: You are always welcome! :+1: :chuffed:

• BillRS
    BillRS
    Community Member

Greg:

I had the same issue as Larry. So I followed the same advice: uninstalled version 6 and installed version 4. However, no files show up in 1Password. It should be loaded!

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

@BillRS: Thank you for reaching out!

Am I right to understand that you have been using a local vault in 1Password on your Windows PC before 1Password 6? When you install 1Password 4 for Windows, you should be able to choose that you've used 1Password before and select your local vault in order to open it in 1Password. Was it different for you?

Also, please let me know if you have access to your data in 1Password on other devices. Thanks :+1:

Cheers,
    Greg

• BillRS
    BillRS
    Community Member

Greg: nevermind! For some reason, it took about an hour and then all my files showed up in 1Password-4. All good.

• Hi @BillRS,

Thanks for letting us know. Were you using Dropbox to sync your standalone vaults? If so, that would make sense.

This discussion has been closed.