1Password Mac App Store app vs. Direct Download

Options
The18thLetter
The18thLetter
Community Member

I've just setup a subscription to 1Password for Families, but prior to that, I've been using the Mac App Store version for years. What's the difference between the 2 apps? Is one better than the other for any particular purpose?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:eero

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@The18thLetter - There is no difference between the apps -- both the standalone version of 1Password and 1Password accounts use the same native apps (Mac, Windows, iOS and Android). The difference is (broadly) in where you store and how you sync your data. From the beginning, 1Password has been "standalone." What that means is that you download and install the application, then you use it to create data locally, on your own device. If you want to have the data on more than one device, you chose one of our 3rd-party sync solutions (iCloud, Dropbox) or WLAN sync.

More recently, we created 1password.com, which is our own, hosted solution for 1Password. It uses the same native application(s) as standalone 1Password, but the data resides on our servers (with a local cache on each of your devices), and sync is directly through 1password.com. The advantages of this are numerous, but you probably already know that if you've set up a 1Password Families account.

To be clear, you can use either the version of 1Password for Mac from the Mac App Store or from us with a 1password.com account; it just depends on your preference. I'd suggest our version, because it's more flexible in terms of speed of upgrades, ability to run betas if you wish or download different versions, but the choice is yours.

This discussion has been closed.