App Store vs. Agilebit Direct

Options
LarryJoe33
LarryJoe33
Community Member

Hello, new user here coming from 7 years of LastPass. I downloaded 1Password through the App store on my Mac. I like to keep updated with the latest version. Is the App store version kept up to date with the latest version?

I also don't mind using betas, but I know this isn't an option with the App store version. If I want to switch the Agile direct, I assume I delete the Mac App and extensions and reinstall?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Ben
    Options

Hi @LarryJoe33,

Welcome to 1Password. :) The App Store is kept up to date, yes. If in the future you wanted to switch to a direct download from us (for beta testing, etc) instructions can be found here:

How to switch to the version of 1Password from the AgileBits website

I hope that helps!

Ben

• LarryJoe33
    LarryJoe33
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you Ben for the quick reply. I am really enjoying 1Password so far. I like to keep all my Mac apps updated to the latest release, so if you keep the Mac App store synchronized to the direct download, that works for me. I understand though if I want to delve into beta releases I have to uninstall and install direct, correct?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Correct. The App Store does not allow betas, or have TestFlight, so only the website version has that option. But perhaps that will change in the future. Cheers! :)

• LarryJoe33
    LarryJoe33
    Community Member
    Options

Ok, great thanks for the confirmation. I'll stick with the App store version until I get used to 1Password.

• LarryJoe33
    LarryJoe33
    Community Member
    edited March 2018
    Options

Sorry, one more newbie question. On the sync link you sent it references iCloud sync. Can you tell me more about the benefits of this? Aren't I synced through your hosting environment? It also says it only works with iOS devices. Can I assume that iCloud for windows will not perform this function on my Windows machine?

"If you don’t want the benefits of a 1Password membership, you can use these third-party and advanced sync options:"

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@LarryJoe33: If you're paying for a 1Password.com membership, then yes, that handles sync and you don't need to do anything with iCloud. And you are correct, that won't be an option on Windows anyway. I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• LarryJoe33
    LarryJoe33
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you sir. I read some other posts and gathered syncing to other cloud services was a way to avoid subscribing and paying. I am good (paid-up for 2.5 years lol).

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Well, 1Password is still a paid app, so that only avoids the "subscribing" part, not the "paying". But yeah, happy to help. And thanks for your support! :chuffed:

• LarryJoe33
    LarryJoe33
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks, I was not familiar with the non-subscribe stand alone (store yourself) version. I thought the subscription was the only option, which is fine with me as longs as you guys are breach protected.

• Ben
    Ben
    edited March 2018
    Options

@LarryJoe33,

If you're interested in reading about the protections we've put in place for 1Password.com memberships you can read up on that here:

About the 1Password security model - 1Password Support

I hope that helps. Should you have any other questions or concerns, please feel free to ask.

Ben

ref: MMR-43173-228

This discussion has been closed.