Can't get iPhone 1Pass data onto my MacBook

Options
s6smith10
s6smith10
Community Member

I've been using 1Pass for years, exclusively on my iPhone. I've never been able to get my passwords onto my MacBook. I've tried syncing through WLAN, Dropbox, etc., but each time, either nothing happens, or I reach a point in the instructions where the screenshot listed on your support forums doesn't match the options available on my app. Specifically, there's no WLAN icon or Sync icon on my MacBook app (using version 6.8.8). My iPhone version is 6.9.1. I'm using macOS High Sierra version 10.13.3.

I tried syncing with Dropbox from my phone, and while files do show up in my Dropbox (1Password.opvault > default; with file names such as band_0.js), once I download those and try to import them with my Dropbox app on my Macbook, it doesn't recognized those unzipped files as something it can import. Furthermore, there's no native option to sync with Dropbox because, again, Sync is not even an icon in my 1Password app on my Macbook. It's only an option on my iPhone app.

I pay annually $35.88 but I have never once been able to successfully sync my data.

Please give me instructions so that I can get my 70+ usernames and passwords from my phone to my 1Password MacBook app. From there, I'm interested in instructions on how to keep them synced at all times.

Note: I would like to avoid using iCloud if at all possible, since I keep it disabled on all devices to avoid Apple advertisements for their paid subscription.

Thank you.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:Can't get iPhone 1Pass data onto my MacBook

Comments

• Corey_C
    Corey_C
    Community Member
    Options

Hi there @s6smith10

The reason you do not have a Sync icon in your preferences on your Mac is because it is not necessary. You are using a 1Password.com Account and one of the many benefits of an account is automatic, seamless syncing between all your devices with no 3rd party setup or services required. You do not need to use Dropbox or iCloud to sync as all you need to do is sign in to your account on your devices and your data will automatically be synced.

What you need to do first in order for that to happen, though, is to move your data over to your 1Password.com vault. That should have been done as part of the migration process when you first made the account but it apparently wasn't so let's take care of that manually now.

Your data is all on your iPhone right? Open up 1Password on your iPhone and go to the categories tab. In the top left is an icon, likely a rainbow circle but it could also be a 1Password logo icon. Tap on it and it will bring you to the vault switcher. You'll notice that you have a couple of vaults. One is called Primary and the other one, called either Personal or Private, is under a header that is your name. What we need to do is move everything from the Primary vault to the Personal one.

Tap the Primary vault in the switcher and that will bring you back to the categories page, tap "All Items" and then scroll up, a button labeled "Select Items" will appear which you should tap. Now, in the top left, should be a little hollow circle, tapping that should select all the items in your vault. Now, tap "Copy" and you will be given a list of your vaults. Pick the "Personal" or "Private" one that is underneath that name header I mentioned earlier. Now, go take a look at your Mac, your data should now all be there. If it isn't, lock and unlock 1Password a couple of times and maybe give it a minute for the initial sync. Scroll through the data on your Mac, make sure everything is there.

Now that everything is there, it's time to get rid of that old Primary vault. Back on your phone, tap Settings>Vaults>Primary>Delete Vault. From now on, your devices should all be kept in perfect sync.

• s6smith10
    s6smith10
    Community Member
    Options

This worked perfectly. Thank you for the helpful instructions.

• Corey_C
    Corey_C
    Community Member
    Options

Fantastic @s6smith10, great to hear it! If you need any more help in the future, you know where to find us. :)

This discussion has been closed.