filtered search not accurate

Options
ninjauk
ninjauk
Community Member
edited March 2018 in Mac

great, I login and write up my issue, press submit and am diverted and get told i have to confirm my email despite logging in and thus have to start again a great incentive to discourage postings.

yet again i search for an item and despite almost completely writing the whole title i am presented with dozens of opetions and if that is not bad enough so as to be pointlee when i search for somethinge else such as my bank that may have 3 logins to same bank i get a list of 2 and have to select view more to see the 3rd - now that makes no sense.

[screenshots removed by AgileBits for privacy]

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:filtered search not accurate

Comments

• ninjauk
    ninjauk
    Community Member
    edited March 2018
    Options

well i am tired using a search function that takes up dozens of unrelated logins despite having practically writing the full title of teh login beinh searched and even then the listings atre in a random order so I still ahve to waste time reading dozens (67) in te current example - is time t move on as clearly this is a pointless discussion that has been an issue for at least a year i first tooknotice of it.

NB: not sure why thsi posted as I have tried about a dozen times and kept asking me to login despite being logged in - would imagine majority gave up a long time ago as I am now. the frequency of teh software disapearing from my broswer is not acceptable and teh hassle fixing on holiday !

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

great, I login and write up my issue, press submit and am diverted and get told i have to confirm my email despite logging in and thus have to start again a great incentive to discourage postings.

@ninjauk: I'm sorry to hear that, but that's how we prevent spam. You'll notice that rarely any is seen here, unlike many other web discussions. But as you can also see, it hasn't discouraged others from posting. When you signed up for the account here, you were asked to confirm it. But if you never did that would explain why you'd forgotten until you ran into that issue. We'll see if a better option comes along in the future though. :blush:

yet again i search for an item and despite almost completely writing the whole title i am presented with dozens of opetions and if that is not bad enough so as to be pointlee when i search for somethinge else such as my bank that may have 3 logins to same bank i get a list of 2 and have to select view more to see the 3rd - now that makes no sense.

Are you perhaps searching "All Fields"?

I actually prefer that myself, but there's a reason it's not the default. If you have "wp" or "-" in a lot of URLs, titles, notes, and other fields and this is causing your frustration, "Search Major Fields" may be a better option for you. Or, better yet, if you choose "Show Search Options", that will let you narrow the results further by setting certain criteria. I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@ninjauk: Since your comments are unrelated to the topic of discussion and you've already posted pretty much the same thing in another one, I'll move these comments there.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

well i am tired using a search function that takes up dozens of unrelated logins despite having practically writing the full title of teh login beinh searched and even then the listings atre in a random order so I still ahve to waste time reading dozens (67) in te current example - is time t move on as clearly this is a pointless discussion that has been an issue for at least a year i first tooknotice of it.

@ninjauk: It sounds like using more than 3 character or narrowing your search scope might help. Please see my suggestions above. For example, we have a ton of search options. You should try them.

NB: not sure why thsi posted as I have tried about a dozen times and kept asking me to login despite being logged in - would imagine majority gave up a long time ago as I am now. the frequency of teh software disapearing from my broswer is not acceptable and teh hassle fixing on holiday !

I don't know what you're talking about here about holidays and disappearing software. Can you be more specific? Unfortunately without some basic information you've omitted from your posts it's hard to say what might be going wrong and how we might right it! Please tell me the OS, 1Password, browser, and extension versions you're using, the exact steps you're taking, and what is (or is not) happening the way you expect so we can figure out the best plan of action:

Find your version

The more information you can give, the better. Thanks in advance! :)

• ninjauk
    ninjauk
    Community Member
    Options

hi, i do not have the option show search options, i click on the cog wheel and have different options, where did you click to get the option ? I am using Safari on iMac ? Thanks

• ninjauk
    ninjauk
    Community Member
    Options

tried on google chrome still cannot find option ?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@ninjauk - sorry for the confusion. You'll need to use the main 1Password app's search bar in order to see the Search Options field: click on the magnifying glass to the left of the search bar and choose "Show Search Options."

• ninjauk
    ninjauk
    Community Member
    edited March 2018
    Options

done that found it, typed in title begind with WP - and it worked and then I went back to browser and ic annot see what was aved, are you suggesting i take 12 steps to do same each tme, when i could type the full title quicker ? am i to got to the smart folder each timeopening 1password or is there a quicker way from browser

• ninjauk
    ninjauk
    Community Member
    edited March 2018
    Options

ok got it i need to select folder from browser and name search folder as search contents - i sther a way of checking if all my passwords are in a folder a sthere is littl epoint having folders if you cannot tell if any are missing from being allocated a folder ?

• Ben
    Options

Hi @ninjauk,

You may be able to create a Smart Folder where the criteria is set to find any items where the folder field is blank. That should show you all items not in folders. Is that what you’re looking for?

Please let us know. :)

Ben

• ninjauk
    ninjauk
    Community Member
    edited March 2018
    Options

no lists all items instead well of 407 items this empty directory search gives me a result of 404 items most of which are in a direcotry. thats why I do not make any use of directorys now as I realised that unless i could see which items were unaccounted for the system was pointless

• Ben
    Ben
    edited March 2018
    Options

@ninjauk,

That’s strange, as we tested the smart folder here and when set up like the screenshot it shows only the items not assigned to folders. Hmm. In any event I think it is worth backing up for a minute as something about this whole situation is a bit off. Can you please tell me do your login items have website fields that contain the URL of the website that they are for? E.x. does your login for Google have https://google.com/ in a website field?

1Password is designed to only show items that have website fields that match the page you’re on. If your items are set up correctly when you’re on google.com you’ll only see login items in 1Password that have website fields with google.com in them.

When you are searching for an item try using the least and most unique term. So for example if you have a bunch of items that all have the string wp - in them, try searching for jbe.sol instead (working off the 2nd screenshot in your 1st post)

Please let me know.

Ben

• ninjauk
    ninjauk
    Community Member
    Options

you are correct, i searched all rather than logins and noted many that were in directories have since been delted as no way to check them so that looks like a good option, am happy again, thanks you for your aptience with this - i have also delted my facebook moan - have a great weekend

• Ben
    Ben
    edited March 2018
    Options

Great! Thanks for the update. Glad to hear that worked out. Enjoy!

Ben

• ninjauk
    ninjauk
    Community Member
    edited March 2018
    Options

thanks on eissue was the failures of 1password stating i had trial mode despite multiple times stating otherwise, this has happened on holiday and caused chaos and just happened again ?

i have no idea what my account details and even les slikely to know as i am travelling ?

The email i bought with does not even exist anymore it was on an old domain ?

I have no idea about a magic key, it is thes ethings that dscourage people, these matters needs to be tested by non staff and non regular users and you will likely realise how many customers just give up or potential ones do not get that far.

Realy just suddenly telling me I have 7 days to hut around for information for soemthing that has been paid is the qorst possible anyone can have as far as a client / customer is concerned

• ninjauk
    ninjauk
    Community Member
    Options

think may be better idea to remove my image at top od page showing my dmains names etc - thanks

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

think may be better idea to remove my image at top od page showing my dmains names etc - thanks

@ninjauk: Not a bad idea. I've removed them.

thanks on eissue was the failures of 1password stating i had trial mode despite multiple times stating otherwise, this has happened on holiday and caused chaos and just happened again ? i have no idea what my account details and even les slikely to know as i am travelling ? The email i bought with does not even exist anymore it was on an old domain ? I have no idea about a magic key, it is thes ethings that dscourage people, these matters needs to be tested by non staff and non regular users and you will likely realise how many customers just give up or potential ones do not get that far. Realy just suddenly telling me I have 7 days to hut around for information for soemthing that has been paid is the qorst possible anyone can have as far as a client / customer is concerned

I'm sorry to hear that, but we really don't have any control over your email or whether or not you lose your license. And similarly, 1Password unfortunately has no way of knowing whether or not you've purchased one unless you register the app with your license information. But the good news is that all you need to do is follow the instructions in the license email you received from your purchase and click the link to automatically install the license in 1Password to register the app and remove the trial restrictions. Now if you've really lost it, we can help you find it, but there is nothing under this email address. You'll need to email us at support@1password.com with your purchase details so we can do some digging to find it for you. Just post the Support ID you receive here and I'll be happy to take a look. Cheers! :)

• ninjauk
    ninjauk
    Community Member
    Options

i ahve not lost anything, just have no idea what is is i need and where i am suposed to put it and why I am being asked randonly for information for something bought an age - thsi is what I am talking about this happening for no reason on the middle of a holiday with no access to information !!!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

i ahve not lost anything, just have no idea what is is i need and where i am suposed to put it and why I am being asked randonly for information for something bought an age - thsi is what I am talking about this happening for no reason on the middle of a holiday with no access to information !!!

@ninjauk: As I mentioned in my previous reply,

1Password unfortunately has no way of knowing whether or not you've purchased one unless you register the app with your license information. But the good news is that all you need to do is follow the instructions in the license email you received from your purchase and click the link to automatically install the license in 1Password to register the app and remove the trial restrictions. Now if you've really lost it, we can help you find it, but there is nothing under this email address. You'll need to email us at support@1password.com with your purchase details so we can do some digging to find it for you. Just post the Support ID you receive here and I'll be happy to take a look.

Did you try any of that?

If you really haven't lost anything, just view the license email you received when you purchased 1Password from the AgileBits Store. You'll just need to follow the instructions there to install the correct version and register the app. It sounds like you have the Mac App Store version installed now. If you didn't purchase it there, that won't work for you. If you did purchase 1Password from the Mac App Store, you'll have a receipt for that which will show the Apple ID you used. In that case, you'll need to install the app using the correct Apple ID.

There isn't anything else I can do to help you with the little information you've provided so far though, so if you're still having trouble please send us an email at support@1password.com with your purchase receipt so we can better assist you. Take care.

• ninjauk
    ninjauk
    Community Member
    Options

i will tryt and figure out the information but the point si why it s asking now randomly adn what happens ehn thsi invariable happens again when I am away from my desktop ? just randomely asking me to register something has been done allready ?

• ninjauk
    ninjauk
    Community Member
    Options

figured it out but had these issues, nothing was downloaded despite saying it was being downloaded

found another link in the end but not ideal when away from home and happens on laptop and left with no access to anything !

Thanks again

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

i will tryt and figure out the information but the point si why it s asking now randomly adn what happens ehn thsi invariable happens again when I am away from my desktop ? just randomely asking me to register something has been done allready ?

@ninjauk: Without more information I can only guess: either you have multiple copies of 1Password installed, you've deleted something, some software has deleted something, or there's simply something wrong with your computer. But you're asking us questions about things which we can't have any insight into. We have literally no information about your system, as you haven't even told us the OS.

figured it out but had these issues, nothing was downloaded despite saying it was being downloaded found another link in the end but not ideal when away from home and happens on laptop and left with no access to anything ! Thanks again

I don't even know what you're doing here. Did you find the license email? I really encourage you to follow my suggestions above. There just isn't anything else we can do to help you without more details. :(

This discussion has been closed.