1P with Safari sometimes refuses to capture logins?

Options
rebbi
rebbi
Community Member

Hi,
I have long seen an intermittent problem: when I generate a new login password in Safari for a web site (accepting the iCloud Keychain password suggestion), 1P will open a small window asking me to enter my 1P master password to allow the new password to be saved. I enter the 1P master password, hit Return, and the same 1P dialog window reappears, Master Password field empty as if I'd never entered it. This doesn't happen on every new login web site. Sometimes 1P will pop up a more detailed window with the name of the website already ready filled in and in that case I am able to successfully record the new login info in 1P.
Perhaps this is a feature I just don't understand?
Thanks in advance ce for your help!

1Password Version: 6.8.8
Extension Version: 4.6.12
OS Version: 10.13.3
Sync Type: 1Password

Comments

• Ben
    Options

Hi @rebbi,

That does indeed sound strange, so I don’t think it is a case of you misunderstanding how a feature works. It sounds to me as if the problem is misentering the Master Password. The latter case that you’re seeing, where you see the “more detailed” window, is the result of 1Password already being unlocked when 1Password detects the new login in need of saving. The former is for cases where 1Password is locked at that time. If 1Password is locked and the wrong Master Password is entered it will prompt again for the correct password. Please make sure you’re using the same Master Password to unlock 1Password within Safari that you would use to unlock the main application.

Also, we don’t generally recommend using 1Password in conjunction with other password managers (such as iCloud Keychain). I’d recommend letting 1Password generate the password, and see if this problem still exists:

Turn off the built-in password manager in your browser

These guides may also prove helpful:

I hope that helps!

Ben

This discussion has been closed.