1password document category meta search

Options
balrog
balrog
Community Member

Hi,
Would like to attach a word or pdf on the caegory document. Can 1password search meta data inside the word or pdf (ocr) document? That would be great, as i use that in onenote.

Thanks a lot.

Regards,
Balrog

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@balrog: Ah, it is not possible for 1Password to search within Documents, but that's an interesting idea. There would be some significant challenges to that since, in most cases, the files are not on the device, and even then 1Password doesn't necessarily know how to read the files — especially with PDFs, as often those are images and not text. (Also worth pointing out that 1Password is for storing Documents; if you open it in another app and edit it, you'll need to add the modified file again.) But maybe we can do something like that someday. Thanks for the suggestion! :)

• balrog
    balrog
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Brenty,
    Thank you for your reply. I'm looking at 1password as my secure "Note Taking" and document repository on the go. Right now i'm at trial and looking to pay for it. Have used 1password in the past where the company standardized on it.

Onenote, Atlassian Confluence wiki, etc. has these meta search inside documents for quite some time. In fact, not sure how onenote can do it, but it can even search keywords on a jpg image. As an FYI, PDF created as OCR, can be searched. If it's an image like you said, it can't be searched.

One scenario (There could be more.) that i'm looking at is say, i have an Architecture Document. Right now the way you search is you store the pictures category documents, and text information as notes so it can be searched. But the problem is:

1. Tedious copying of graphics and text. and if there are updated multiple changes, you have to manually change the notes or graphics.
    2. Manual way of looking jpegs and notes at the same time. Say, you open photo viewer and 1password. That may confuse you as you have correlate which the pictures are you looking at with the text. This may introduce errors and mistake.

With saving the document and a meta search function, all issues are eliminated. Updated document, i just save it to 1password again, confident that i can search it in one place. Plus, the notes i can add my take on the document and opinions for example.

Hopefully this feature can be added in the future. I think this is a "killer" characteristic that will set 1password apart compared to others. Very good convenience to users of 1password.

Just my devalued $.02 CAD cents! Thanks again.

Regards,
    Balrog

• balrog
    balrog
    Community Member
    Options

To add, this document say is sensitive information. 1password Password and secure management helps and leverage this. Thus hopefully bolstering the feature moving forward. Thanks.

Regards,
    Balrog

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi Brenty, Thank you for your reply.

@balrog: Sure thing! Thanks for getting back to me!

I'm looking at 1password as my secure "Note Taking" and document repository on the go. Right now i'm at trial and looking to pay for it. Have used 1password in the past where the company standardized on it. Onenote, Atlassian Confluence wiki, etc. has these meta search inside documents for quite some time. In fact, not sure how onenote can do it, but it can even search keywords on a jpg image. As an FYI, PDF created as OCR, can be searched. If it's an image like you said, it can't be searched.

Ah, gotcha. I think we need to clear this up right off the bat then: this simply isn't something 1Password is designed for. As you note (pun sort of intended), there are a lot of great apps and services already which are dedicated to that.

One scenario (There could be more.) that i'm looking at is say, i have an Architecture Document. Right now the way you search is you store the pictures category documents, and text information as notes so it can be searched. But the problem is:
    1. Tedious copying of graphics and text. and if there are updated multiple changes, you have to manually change the notes or graphics.
    2. Manual way of looking jpegs and notes at the same time. Say, you open photo viewer and 1password. That may confuse you as you have correlate which the pictures are you looking at with the text. This may introduce errors and mistake.
    With saving the document and a meta search function, all issues are eliminated. Updated document, i just save it to 1password again, confident that i can search it in one place. Plus, the notes i can add my take on the document and opinions for example.
    Hopefully this feature can be added in the future. I think this is a "killer" characteristic that will set 1password apart compared to others. Very good convenience to users of 1password.
    To add, this document say is sensitive information. 1password Password and secure management helps and leverage this. Thus hopefully bolstering the feature moving forward. Thanks.

Hmm. I can understand where you're coming from, but this just isn't what 1Password does. And, not to put too fine a point on it, but it isn't something we have plans for. It's possible that 1Password may evolve more in that direction over time, but our focus with 1Password is to make the best password manager we can, so any note/document/file features need to be inservice of that, not our primary focus. I'd recommend using one of those that you're familiar with and has the features you want. The right tool for the job, as they say.

Just my devalued $.02 CAD cents! Thanks again.
    Regards,
    Balrog

Ouch. Well, you're welcome. And if it's any consolation, it seems the US dollar is headed in that direction too! :lol:

P.S: I'm still trying to figure out if you're an ancient being of fire and stone, a boxer, a 3rd world dictator, or something else I haven't accounted for. ;)

• balrog
    balrog
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Brenty,
    Thanks for the reply. Will keep that in mind, and use either evernote or onenote moving forward.

You know how many times people asked me that! Would prefer the LOTR version that's what it's meant to be. But Street Fighter balrog is fine too, though i prefer ryu/ken and zangief! Whatever rocks your boat! ;)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi Brenty, Thanks for the reply. Will keep that in mind, and use either evernote or onenote moving forward.

@balrog: Sure thing! Glad to hear that those work for you. And I actually appreciate you talking about different tools like that here, as I'm sure that others may have similar interests. I, on the other hand, am a simple man and use, actually, Simplenote. I've always marveled at the things I see colleagues doing with OneNote and Evernote, but a lot of it goes over my head. :lol:

You know how many times people asked me that! Would prefer the LOTR version that's what it's meant to be. But Street Fighter balrog is fine too, though i prefer ryu/ken and zangief! Whatever rocks your boat!

I think we can agree to "all of the above" here. Cheers! :sunglasses:

This discussion has been closed.